1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Where to buy green leaf veg??

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by pandusk, May 15, 2010.

1. pandusk

pandusk Gold IL'ite

Hi,

I know that we get green leaf vegetables in any Indian store, but would like to know if we can get these in Meijers/Walmart or anywhere else...

I only find the below ones always in these stores...
    palak, Cilantro and spinach...how about methi, gongura, and others...

2. navs23

navs23 Platinum IL'ite

We were able to find Methi and other greens like Collard Greens, Turnip greens, Mustard Greens, Dandelion Greens and Swiss Chard in the international fruit and vegetable market place and farmers market(names might vary by location/state). Turnip Greens and Swiss Chard almost tasted like our greens and we loved it.

3. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

Other good greens in the American stores are kale (several types), bok choy, collards. Last year our local farmers market had huge mooli with the greens attached. You can also cook beet greens. For kale and collards, strip the leaf off the stalk and you have to cook it longer than spinach as you like (it is more a bitter type so methi recipes would work).

I keep suggesting this and although this is not a green, you can boil parsnips like carrot pieces and use them instead of boiled potatoes in koftas...super good.

4. newuser08

newuser08 New IL'ite

Hi ,
    Depending on where you stay in Texas,like if in Houston,you can try Hong Kong market.They have all sorts of green leafy vegetables almost every season.It s a delight to do veg shopping from there.

Regards

5. pandusk

pandusk Gold IL'ite

Thank you for the replies.

The names for green leaf are so complicated that i easily cant relate them..:bonk