Where should I go shopping in Kolkata?

Discussion in 'North Eastern and Eastern States' started by StirItUp, Feb 17, 2012.

1. StirItUp

StirItUp New IL'ite

I am going to Kolkata next month for holiday. I would like to do some shopping for very good cloth I can take to my tailor at home. Where are the best shops for this?

2. djain

djain Bronze IL'ite

Hey,
    below i hv listed some of the gud places for Sarees, kurta payjama & gifts...

Actually the place called Burrabazzar is a huge market wherein you get all kind of varieties of clothes... n in gud rates...very cheap one compared to any other place...

Sarees

1. Adi Dhakeswari Bastralaya
    168 Rashbehari Avenue,
    Near Triangular Park,
    Kolkata – 700029

2. Priya Gopal Bishoyi (Sarees & Kurta Payjama)
    70&76, Pandit Purushottom Roy Street, Burrabazar ,
    Kolkata- 700007 Landmark: Near Brabourne Road Flyover
    http://priyagopal.com/

3. Adi. Mohini Mohan Kanjilal
    79/2 Mahatma Gandhi Road

Kolkata – 700 009

Additionally, the entire Gariahat & Rashbehari Avenue area has a huge number of old and well-known traditional saree shops.

Kurta Payjama – The Rash Behari Avenue, Gariahat Road (opp. BASANTI DEVI COLLEGE) stretch has a number of shops exclusively for Kurta Payjamas

4. Gifts – New Market. Good place to bargain.

Hope this helps & do let me know your experience !

vidhyachandra and vidyavisu like this.
  3. cutemonster

cutemonster Platinum IL'ite

hi ! kolkata is a nice place to shop for sarees, both cotton as well as silk.
    u can try shops in rashbehari avenue . also in gariahaat u have good saree shops.
    for buying cotton salwar kameez and bed spreads with kolkata embroidery you can try new market . there is shop in karco complex i think , its in new market only.
    if u like to shop from emporiums u can try ,manjusha , its a govt emporium , they have silk purses, jute bags and leather goods. although its a bit pricy but few things which they sell like blinds , mats and even silk purses are really beautiful and good iteams to gift!
    also for regular stuff lot of people buy from bura bazar but i feel u will get lost in market if u dont know the exact shops !
    also i visited the chor bazar which is also called as fancy market . they sell some foreign items like crockery and other funky stuff but u have to bargain really hard !
    enjoy shopping !

4. suryakala

suryakala IL Hall of Fame

Calcutta is a very good place for buying Sarees!! You can buy all variety of sarees , but i like calcutta cotton sarees
    You can try to buy at least one cotton saree!!Then you will know the difference!!!

5. StirItUp

StirItUp New IL'ite

I tried as many of these suggestions as I could. Thank you for all of them. I know I went places that I can't even remember now, so I guess I can't give useful feedback on some of them. What I can tell you is that I had hours and hours of fun in Gariahat. I spent nearly two entire days there. I would like to go back. Oddly, I don't think I bought anything there. I went to New Market, also, and I suppose I would say it is more practical, but maybe not as lively or as much fun.

I went to a place called Dakshinapan Complex, and I was able to buy lots of things that I am very happy with. I actually wanted cottons and I ended up with almost all silk, but each piece is wonderful. I will have my tailor cut these into shirts, waistcoats, and a jacket. I got nearly everything I wanted for myself (except some cotton for hot weather), and several wonderful things to give as gifts. But I don't have a girl to give them to! I guess I will just put them in the box under my bed and they will wait there until I have a girl -- then she is going to be showered with silk! Most of what I bought for myself is shades of pink and purple. I hope wearing loud pinks and purples doesn't make it more difficult to find the girl!

If I can go to Kolkata again, I would go to Gariahat for a walkabout just to have fun, then when I wanted to get on with the business of shopping, I would go to Dakshinapa. But I think my next time in the big city will be Ahmedabad and maybe Kohlapur.

Thanks everyone, for pointing me to the best places.