1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Where Has The Pink Syrup Gone?

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by kanaka Raghavan, Nov 21, 2007.

1. kanaka Raghavan

kanaka Raghavan IL Hall of Fame

Just the other day I was taking my usual iron capsule,then my mind flashed to my childhood days.I vividly remember that I used to get colds and fever,then my mother used to make some kashayam and push it down my throat.I simply used to run around the whole house as if someone was murdering me.That kashyam has never worked for me and my father used to take me to one Dr.Krishnamurthy.Long array of people awaiting in benches.Compounder busy with preparing medicines.The doctor's check over it used to be followed by a prescription along with a needle prick which used be sterilised in a steel vessel.Out the corridor we used to give the prescription and inreturn used get a bottle of pink syrup.Just two times it used work wonders.I used to wonder how everyone got the same pink syrup,maybe the contents varied.
    Then later on it was monthly visits for viral fever,to the doctors's place in front of my house.He used to prescribe paracemtols and a couple of doses,it was gone.One visit would do.There was one occasion wherein I slipped and fell on a wet kolam put for Pongal and hurt my right arm and right thigh.I was so proud as I had visited the doctor for something other than viral fever!!!!!!I was so happy that I got the attention of the entire street.
    Now times have changed no benches,no clinics at home,no compounders and last but not least no pink syrup....................

1 person likes this.

2. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

dont worry there are clinics like that now, may be a little different, clinic amaivadellam iraivan kodutha varam....sk

3. Jananikrithsan

Jananikrithsan Gold IL'ite

We had a familt doc like that who was God' gift, he is no more now but I do visit my office hospital when need be , no comparison to his clinic. It was very small and we used to wait endlessly. Gifted the man was and treatment with a smile was his motto. Calligraphy pens were his passion.So many coloured syrups lined his table. Brought back good memories

Last edited: Nov 21, 2007
  4. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

hey too much on old memories pah.....

i agree with sk...doctor amaivadellam...i am very unlucky in that matter..even the best doctor...shakeheadshakehead

Ok....now on the pink syrup i recall a incident that veda and mil have told me many times....

Veda used to be given waterbury's compound for his allergies when he was a kid...it so happened his chittappa wanted a empty bottle to get some dettol. the waterbury's bottle a long bottle came in handy..so chittappa had put some dettol and put it in the same place as before.......it so happened...veda had a cold that very evening...my mil, she was worried and as usual ..she gave him a double dose from the bottle...it seems veda stated that it smells different and tastes different...but his mom just gave him...and he started vomitting.....she was scared and went and told veda's patti...and checked with chittappa when he came back...and he saw the blunder and told her..and she got scared...carried him to the doctor...the doctor just told her to give soft foods, and lots of water.....

so even today...we make fun off him...people only clean externally....but veda has been thoroughly cleant from the inside.....

5. malspie

malspie Platinum IL'ite

Oh Kanaka,

The doctors here give Pink Syrups. My friend is a doctor and she told me that she usually gives the syrup to the illiterates who love to drink the sweet syrup rather than swallow a tablet. And Lo!! behold!! one patient was demanding for the pink syrup. "Doctor, don't give goli (tablet), give syrup I feel better with it". Myself and my friend exchanged glances on her command...

Pink Syrup is alive and kicking my dear friend...

Ha ha ha...

6. CharuKaur

CharuKaur Senior IL'ite

Dear kanaka

i loved your write up. though i never came across the pink syrup, but there was something called as the 'laal davai' - red medicine (english translation). it used be a red colored liquid in an opaque bottle. And we could put it on any bruise/cut/boil etc.. many a times(as kids) we went to the doctor only for the tetanus dose and applied this laal davai on the wound & it would work always.. on the deepest of cuts!
    Those fun days of falling and tripping everywhere while playing... aah!!! memories!!!!:party

And shanthi, you are one lucky lady... with an internally cleansed husband Big Laugh
    ( i assumed Veda and you are partners, apologies for a wrong guess, in case :bowdown)

Cheers!
    Charu..

7. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

hi charu,

Your assumption is correct. yes i got a thoroughly cleaned one there:queen