Where Do You Buy Your Indian Ethnic Wear?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by gknew, Jan 3, 2023.

1. gknew

gknew Gold IL'ite

Hi
    I don't have much Indian clothes. I didn't bring much when I moved to the US. And I didn't buy any here.
    I used to go for Indian parties with Western dresses which looks like Indian maxi dress.

I have seen my friends and acquaintance that they wore nice sarees,kurti sets etc. Accessorize accordingly.

I feel little low to go to such kind of parties and feel of man out because of my dress.

So I thought of buying few sarees and kurti sets etc. I checked in Amazon and did order few. The quality was not very good.
    Trying to order it from India where they do international shipping.

Sending to parents home and they do courier is not an option for me.

I checked in few websites( pothys, Chennai silks etc) and they have standard shipping rates.

Do you buy from any of these famous shops websites or any insta pages?

Is it not worth to spend shipping charge for the clothes to buy from there? It's been years since I bought a saree. Little worried to buy on Amazon as it has mixed reviews.

How do you all buy the Indian ethnic wear? Any ideas please.

Rihana and vidhyalakshmid like this.

2. vidhyalakshmid

vidhyalakshmid IL Hall of Fame

Long time ago, I have ordered a saree in amazon (due to my hubby`s persuasion).But I was not satisfied with the quality and its price. There was a huge gap. I have checked Nalli`s website and their US store prices also. They have sky rocketed price.
    Last year I have found an online store - Prashanti sarees. Their prices are ok and they have a wide selection and range of indian dresses. Ofcourse we have to pay the shipping, but the cost is in rupees.
    I have compared a readymade blouse`s price in amazon and other sites. But in prashanti the total price is less including the shipping.
    My last deepavali is with the prashanti saree (ikat silk:blush:). After a long time I have ordered a saree in US.
    Hope my experience helps you to take a step now. Google it, you will get their website.

chanchitra, gknew and Rihana like this.
  3. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Saree prices have shot up sharply because the raw materials have become more expensive. There is also a lot of demand now.
    I ask my family in India to buy and send me clothes, from the same trusted shops where we always buy, but prices are up everywhere.
    I follow a lot of saree sellers on Instagram and the selections are really beautiful and unique but pricey.

gknew likes this.
  4. gknew

gknew Gold IL'ite

Thanks for this information. I will check their website.
    Did they ship to US or to India address?

Where do you buy Kurtis and salwar sets?

vidhyalakshmid likes this.
  5. gknew

gknew Gold IL'ite

Okk. Do you order to your India address and they courier back to you here ?

That's not an option for me unfortunately.
    I am not on Instagram. Any favorite seller names which you can suggest? I will check their websites.

Where do you buy Kurtis and salwar sets?

6. curlytweethere

curlytweethere Platinum IL'ite

If parents can't ship them there is an option where you can ship to an address they will hold until and will ship it to you. Their charges are based on how long they hold your packages. I seen many YouTubers telling about this. Check in YouTube for videos about packages from India. This particular service is mentioned in most of them

gknew likes this.
  7. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

My SIL shops for me and sends the parcel via speed post or courier. For causal wear my go-to is Fab India, Kalpadruma and Anokhi. I don’t buy expensive salwar sets, so no idea about that.
    For sarees, my SIL is a big fan of Angadi in Bangalore and I can’t convince her to shop elsewhere so that’s where my sarees come from. Mom loves Nalli but her selections tend to be a bit old fashioned.
    For Instagram, one of my friends orders periodically from Nool Magic. Prices are on higher side but the variety is amazing and the service is very good. Vidya Raman, the seller brings textiles from literally all corners of India. I don’t have personal experience with any other sellers.

gknew likes this.
  8. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Wow..just checked their selections and prices! So reasonable including shipping costs. And they even offer a "convert to readymade saree" option along with edge & fall stitching. I so liked their Narayanpet saree colors. Felt good to see some of my favorite colors there. But the biggest highlight for me was to see regular salwar suit or kurti suit or whatever they are now called. These knee-length kurtis and the simple bottom come closest to what I like to wear. Top & Bottom Suit Sets

Including a few images below:
    edge.png
    --------------------------------------------------
    shipping.png

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    esypsy.png

Thank you @vidhyalakshmid. This is a good find for me as if I buy it has to be online and delivered to U.S. directly. I am also going to use it for gifting to family and friends in India.

vidhyalakshmid and gknew like this.
  9. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

I looked up Prashanthi and I realized it’s an online version of the shop that my mom has patronized for ages for their silk cotton sarees. I didn’t realize they had expanded so much. The shop I remember visiting in Chennai was set in a modest bungalow.

gknew likes this.
  10. gknew

gknew Gold IL'ite

This sounds like a good idea too. I will check in YouTube.