Where Do You Buy Idli Cooker? Any Brand Recommendations?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by gknew, Feb 20, 2023.

1. gknew

gknew Gold IL'ite

I was using the traditional idli cooker with muslin cloth all these years. I have to buy a new one and planning to try a stainless steel idli cooker. I saw some on Amazon and tadakh brand. But tht reviewed are bad and looks like it's not good quality.
    Any suggestions for good idli cookers? Do you use the cloth traditional idli cooker? Where do you buy the cloth?

I used to buy cheese cloth or muslin cloth from Amazon. But this time , it was so bad and thread keeps coming out everytime I make idlis.

2. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

I bought a stainless steel idli cooker from our Indian grocery store several years ago. It also has plates for making dhokla. I forgot the brand but it’s doing quite well.

Thyagarajan and gknew like this.
  3. gknew

gknew Gold IL'ite

Oh ok. I never made dhokla before and that's the reason I didn't buy it yet from the Indian store. As I see the plates comes with dhokla maker too. I just need the idli cooker and couldn't find one. I saw tabakh brand online but very mixed reviews about the product quality.

4. mangaii

mangaii Finest Post Winner

I have the traditional cooker with cotton clothes. I bought it from a store in Chennai . Clothes are little thicker than Muslin clothes though.

gknew likes this.
  5. gknew

gknew Gold IL'ite

Yeah the clothes which we buy in India will be very thicker and last long. This Muslin or cheese clothes are very thin and breaks easily.

6. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

Ss idli cooker with four pans available in Chennai are less cumbersome and no cloth is needed. Dough can be directly transferred into pan oil smeared slots. In my home five days a week idli is made with this cooker. At times we use idli pans in pressure cooker prestige make. There too pan slots are thinly oiled before transferring ladle filled dough. But size of idli is half of regular hotel size.

gknew likes this.
  7. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

Pans filled with dough can be steamed in electric rice cooker too. When guests arrive or more mouths to be served in quick succession, my spouse would use three types of steaming equipment. On gas, on electric.

gknew likes this.
  8. gknew

gknew Gold IL'ite

Wow. Sounds like a good idea sir. My mom used to do that. She use kadai with hot water and a plate of idly with lid to have some additional idlis when guests comes.

Definitely stainless steel idlis are very smaller. I used to have the traditional aluminum idli pathiram which I have to use cotton cloth for steaming. I bought this from India.

Idlis will be very bigger in this idli pan and I never tried stainless steel only for this reason. Since I don't find any aluminum pans here, I am trying to buy A stainless steel idli cooker now.

9. swarnamary

swarnamary Gold IL'ite

muslin/cotton clothes can be bought separately???? last time i visit india 4 yrs back one of my relative suggest me to buy aluminium idli maker idlis are good and good oh boy two are enough to fill you up, but its aluminium and i am thinking to buy steel one this time.. i am scared to look at my husband face when i say i need one more steel idli patra hahahahahaha...so instead of buying whole thing if i can atleast get muslin clothes to use that is fine i guess...

gknew likes this.
  10. gknew

gknew Gold IL'ite

Yeah I bought muslin clothes from Amazon multiple times. I bought the aluminum pathra from India and changed the cloth multiple times. Sometimes the cloth will be bad . With my precious purchases, one of the cloth was super good and thick. I couldn't find it again.

swarnamary likes this.