Where can I find these items in Chennai?

Discussion in 'Shopping & Restaurants' started by Vidya24, Nov 10, 2005.

1. Ami

Ami Silver IL'ite

That was great, vidya..

Sincerely you have given the best options for me and will ask my friend of the remaining availability.

Tons of thanks..

Rgds.

2. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Try in Poompuhar also

Dear Ami,
    you can try in Poompuhar, Mount Road also for swings. I think Kalpadruma also have such items. Also Cottage Industries showroom in Nungambakkam or Nandanam may also have such items.
    I have a memory that you asked about grinder. Now there is sale going on the Tilting + tabletop grinder (Premier) is available for around 3500. Also Preeti mixie is also offering discounts.
    I shall keep watch for any sale of such items and inform you.
    With warm wishes,
    Varloo

3. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

No idea

Dear vidhya,
    Mrs.Revathy Sankaran was conducting classes about how to celebate poojas and fetivals last year. But about garland making and flower stringing, I think there are no classes. In Chennai we get good strung flowers and so many people even don't know how to string flowers.
    With warm wishes,
    varloo

4. sudhavnarasimhan

sudhavnarasimhan Silver IL'ite

hi Vidhya,
    Just saw ur post asking for those temple jewellery articles...i buy them regularly for dance ..they are pretty good, and stays quite well for a longtime if it is not exposed to humidity(for eg, when we dance , we sweat or the makeup goes onit so we need to cleanit....)..but if kept in the cloth or cotton pack which comes with it , they remain good. Also they do take it back at some price. Sukra has a wide choice, and some very good ones which look traditional and not so heavy also.

Dear Ami,

If you cannot find a swing, you can maybe get it made from a carpenter....i am sure it can be done., based on the modelfrom the Gurjari stuff, which is pretty good.

Do you want only a wooden swing, otherwise there are a lot of other alternatives i am sure....like the garden swings, etc. I have one at home here which can be assembled as and when, where i need it!
    Just some suggestions.....

5. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Varloo, a small piece of information !

You may be interested in knowing that Revathy Shankaran & me are first cousins ! Our fathers are own brothers !!
    Thanks for your private nessage & the confidence you have in me.
    Love & regards,
    Chithra.

6. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Hi Varloo

Thanks for this info. The problem is same everywhere- you get flower garlands or strings, so no one makes them at home. In Bombay, the phoolwallah is willing to teach me, but he wants me to stand and watch his hands the whole day. In a crowded market, that is impossible.

I really want to learn kachapparam- it is so beautiful.

I miss wearing jasmine on my hair.:cry:

Thanks again.
    regards
    Vidya

7. sudhavnarasimhan

Dear Chitra,

That's cool....I remember Mrs. Revathy had someting to do with Sterling Resorts, when my husband was working there...long back. And i have seen her compering shows there also, though i dont remember having met her personally. That's nice...so all creativity runs in the blood!:thumbsup

8. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Hi Sudha,

Thanx for this info. I shld have asked you since u will definitely know. I am trying to buy rakkodi and mangai malai (both temple).

And, in Bombay there is this place called Silver Plaza which supplies costume jewelry to Bollywood. Their collection is amazing. They have all imaginable sets. They also give 5 yrs assurance. And if u keep it in their special box, they remain new. These sets are especially useful when u need jewelry for pattu podavais in double shades.

Sudha, a request. Do you know where I can buy beautiful silver kolusu in Chennai? Do u have any nice designs from yr dance costume?

Thanks again.
    warm regards
    Vidya

9. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

To Vidya & Sudha !

Hello Vidya,
    Chennai is flooded with designs in silver kolusu.Go to town ( if you have the patience!) - you can see much more than in Mylapore or T . Nagar !

Sudha, Yes, Revathy was compering for Sterling Resorts! She is highly talented - I am no patch on her ! Both of us are Madurai Meenakshis !
    Love & regards,
    Chithra.

10. sudhavnarasimhan

Hi

Sukra in chennai has traditional designs...but the best ones i have seen and have been visiting are in Bangalore. There is a seperate shops excusively only for payals...Nakodia Payals..there are great, you can find all kinds, even in kundan...along with the really heavy traditional ones, to the not so expensive, ones in silver and gold with lot of work....i get them here for my friends also. Also he has mettis , which are nique. My friends here who come from bombay and delhi or for that matter rajasthan, say that they have not seen these patterns . And i can say they stay good...i have been wearing a simple one from last july and it looks still new!

this is the best bet i can say. Drop by here, and like i said in my pvt mssg, i know a little bit of jasmine garland making which i can teach u and u can have a look at all these jewellery also! So when can i expect u here....ha ha!Tempting isn't it?