When your pet dog becomes a Senior Citizen!

Discussion in 'Pets and Animal Lovers' started by Paulina, Apr 20, 2008.

1. Paulina

Paulina Moderator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Hi ! all doggy buddies :hiya

This is Julie calling from Chennai.I've asked my mistress to talk to you about our age related problems .I'm handing over to my mistress PAULINA now ! Hope these tips will help some of the oldies around here!

Thanks Juliekins!

PAULINA, here.....
    Yes pals! Before we realise, our little cuddly ,fluffy ball of energy will be caught up with that ever fast ticking biological clock and before you know it he/she will be a senior citizen deserving more attention and demanding it too.
    Dogs develop very fast upto two years of age, after which the ageing plateaus till they are abour six years old. Ageing accelerates after that and most dogs begin to show signs of old age at about eight or nine years.Not all breeds grow old at the same rate; bigger breeds like Alsatians or Great Danes age faster and smaller ones like Poms or Lhasa Apsos may not show any signs till they are twelve.
    Dog Age versus Human Age
    6months --------- 10 years
    8 months --------- 13yrs
    12 mnths ---------- 15 yrs
    2 yrs ---------- 24 yrs
    6 yrs ------------- 40 yrs
    10 yrs ------------ 56 yrs
    12 yrs ------------ 64 yrs
    18 yrs ------------- 88 yrs

As your cutie -pie ages, hearing becomes less acute.The first sign is a seemingly disobedient dog. If you give a command ,say from a distance, he/she may not react ....thats because they are unable to hear the decibels clearly.
    Deafness is quite common in old dogs......however their activity need not be curtailed.You can attract his / her attention by tapping loudly on something, either the floor or furniture as they can pick up vibrations from the ground.If their eyesight is good they can follow simple hand signals like 'come '.They pick up these hand signals with constant use.
    Most often failing eyesight goes unnoticed in old dogs as other senses compensate for it.
    Your pooch is your sweetie-pie, deaf or blind .They can still sniff around,so take them for their daily walks .Rides in the car too can be enjoyed.They'll love sniffing the air as you drive along .Always leave the windows only a little open for them to put their little nosies out not more! Unless you are not driving and have them secure with you in control lest they leap out!

Will get back later with more on this topic.Please give more tips on this topic too, lets pool our info to make it a good BANK to access when the need arises for any of us to make our lovable pets lead comfortable days as they age.
    warm regards
    PAULINA:wave

2. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Paulina
    Thanks for sharing this information. Especially the ages between dog and human. that was a good comparision..........

3. Bhooma

Bhooma Bronze IL'ite

Hi Paulina

Here is some tips from my personal experience ..

Your cutie pie needs more trips to the vet ... please make time to take him/her to the vet even if you notice the slightest difference in their normal behaviour.

I also found that they become less tolerant ( just like us humans :) ?

and one sincere advice.. have your dog/bitch neutered/spayed at the right time ... ( you can consult your vet on this ),., this saves a lot of unnecessary illnesses at a later stage

cheers

Bhooma

4. Paulina

Hi ! Bhooma,:hiya

Saw Joshua's picture .....a real handsome chappie you have there.

What breed is he? A bit of Lab or Rajapalayam?What is his favourite food?

Yes,neutering is very essential.We got Romeo neutered at the age of 6 months.

We usually prefer to neuter the males as they are more problematic. It improves

their disposition too besides warding off health hazards.

warm regards,

5. malspie

malspie Platinum IL'ite

I have seen my favourite Snoopy entering the Senior Citizen Zone. He was small when I first met him at my friends place 10 years ago. I have affinity for these pets and how wild or voracious they are termed to be, they shake hands of friendship with me very fast. Snoopy would never live me alone even for a minute during my stay at my friends place. They would also say that I pamper Snoopy and spoil him as he forgets the training he has undergone. He is a ball game with me and I am all the time swinging to his needs. Last year when I went to their place, snoopy did come to me, but his whimpers were not audible. He could not hold my leg as he usually does and was missing his aim. My friend told me that he has got catarct in his eyes and that gave a squeeze to my heart. Then when it was food time, I did not see Snoopy jumping and showing all signs of impatience which he usally does. He had a small portion of the food and quietly cuddled on the mat. Again my friend told me that most of his teeth have fallen down and now he is ageing. When we took him for his walks, he was not very keen to come out. He had to be cajoled for his walks. I had tears in my eyes and they rolled down my cheeks. My friend clasped my hands and told me they have called for Tango and he is on his way. He will reach here in a day or two and he will give company to Snoopy. Tango was the new dog and I felt the presence of Tango would make Snoopy more active. After a few months when I again went to see my friend. Snoopy had become more older and Tango was a delight. As mentioned earlier, Tango took a liking for me and we became friends instantly. He did all that Snoopy did 10 years ago and I understood the term "Senior Citizen" in dogs. Snoopy was just a ball waiting for the day to be called. I totally understand what pain the dog and its owner undergo during those last times...

6. Devika Menon

Devika Menon Gold IL'ite

Dear Paulina,

Yes Thankyou so much for the wonderful info.Yes we knew the approx counting of age but knowing the exact age difference in years is really amazing.
    After I read your post I just tried to explain to Neiv about it and she was quite pertubed . My pet Muffin is 4 and Neiv is 5 and she always behaved like the elder sister to Muffin and would often introduce her to others as 'my younger sis'. Now she was asking me ,"Till yesterday she was my younger sister , now how come she became my Chechi. Thats not fair?"

Anyway Paulina youre doing a fantastic job!! Youre getting us all rooted to the pets section!

Love,
    Devika

7. Paulina

Dear Malsy,

Very touching to read about dear little Snoopy.His loving owners will make his last days on earth comfortable surely.

Disease, Decadence and Death in that order are indeed inevitable but difficult facts of life that we all got to accept....for humans or animals.

Losing a dear pet is heart rending. We lost Romeo our 11 year old mixed breed Pom cum Tibetan spaniel in 2006.He just collapsed without any warning and left us. The next evening itself we brought home a Lab pup and christened him Romeo.That way we keep his memory alive by calling out his name.The senior Romeo will always have a special place in our hearts, but we need solace for our broken hearts too don't we as ardent dog lovers.?Besides ,his pair Juliet was alone and she needed companionship too.

Warm regards

8. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Paulina,
    Very nice information regarding the age calculation.

My daughters used to say that 1 year of the pet = 7 years of human age...maybe it differs from pet to pet....

Our JAI is now 14 years----of human age.. according to your calculation.
    He is in his teens---i suppose.... same behaviour and our teens...

sriniketan

9. Sriniketan

Mals,

Got in a sad mood reading about Snoopy. Let him be peaceful but happy to see that he is in a good family, no doubt about it...
    Tango, a very good companion indeed...

sriniketan

10. Sriniketan

Devika,

I can understand your daughter's feeling...very cute expression of hers is enjoyable!

When we had Cocoa, our daughters used to tease my son that Cocoa is getting bigger and elder to you day by day...

sriniketan