When Will Job Market Pick Up For It Sector?

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by Needtobestrong, Dec 31, 2020.

1. Needtobestrong

Needtobestrong Platinum IL'ite

My cousin has completed Btech , Information science engineering from a good college , with good percentage but due to pandemic, placements are not happening...last year when in final year , a reputed MNC has conducted campus placement in their college in which she was selected.. she has got 2 offers from 2 different companies, one in Bangalore location and one in Mumbai location...she was ok to join either of the companies as both are equally good, depending on which one gives confirmed joining date..
    But unfortunately due to pandemic, the company in Mumbai has cancelled all job offers..The IT company in Bangalore has indefinitely postponed all offers and has not given joining date to anyone...HRs are not responding...
    She is upset, she's good student with good aggregate...
    She is unable to step out of the home as her city is badly Covid affected...
    She is ok to work in Bengaluru, Chennai, Mumbai..IT job...
    All job applications she applied to - no response...
    When will job market improve for IT post pandemic?
    Will there be a postive change after vaccination drive is done?
    I know no one can predict but can anyone pls guide how she can prepare herself for jobs and when there are likely to be many job openings, when will economy improve for IT sector?
    She has education loans to clear and she is In a relationship with her senior, but as none of them could settle properly due to pandemic, her engagement too has been postponed ...
    Can understand her anxiety...
    Can anyone pls advice...

2. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

there is always need of teachers/professors in engineering even if it remote. Even if not in interest, for short time there is no harm. She can pick up some skills - work or non work.
    I understand thar pressure after degree and can not explain that its okay to not have job right now, and things will get better. As I wish i could be without pressure of work or marriage or kids for sometime, i could be with my parents for sometime w/o thinking about work or kids... I was that free so learn some other skills other than IT related.

Needtobestrong likes this.
  3. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

Probably the job market can take more than 6 months or a year to recover.
    Meanwhile she can do some certifications/courses.
    She can also try freelancing.

Needtobestrong and Hopikrishnan like this.
  4. Hopikrishnan

Hopikrishnan Platinum IL'ite

One IIT BTech person, who was jobless for a spell, offers a list of things (see sourced linked below). Couple of key points:
    1. It is just time and it will pass.

2. Start working on your technical and speaking skills. ..... For speaking skills start watching English* movies/serials with subtitles. For technical skills checkout the job postings, list out the key skills required by recruiters and start your preparation for those skills. As a fresher nobody expect you to be a pro on any given skill yet you must have basic knowledge.​
    more at source:
    How is the life of a jobless student after the completion of their engineering degree? - Quora

*English = American or Canadian, and not British/Oz/Nz. Start with action movies (very little dialogue to bother with) and move up your training with Social Dramas (plenty of dialogue)

Needtobestrong likes this.
  5. Needtobestrong

Needtobestrong Platinum IL'ite

Thanks all for replies...
    Can anyone give list of technologies that are going to have more job opportunities in 2021 and coming years ( not necessarily well paying but technologies more in demand for ready availability of job )?
    She has told me that inspite of being IT graduate she doesn't have very strong coding /programming skills and would prefer technology which doesn't have much requirement for programming languages.
    And one doubt, if someone has been unemployed during the year of 2020 and major portion of 2021 due to Covid situation, is it usually accepted as a genuine reason for career gap by HR/recruiters?