1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

When to start in montessori

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by Sujana123, Sep 9, 2007.

1. Sujana123

Sujana123 New IL'ite

Hello alll,

I appreciate your time in going through my query. I have a question about montessori scholls in US. I have 14 mo. old toddler who will have to go to day care from 2 months after as my parents are leaving to India. I was thinking of putting him in a home day care for few months so he can get used being outside and we nboth work fulltime. I have heard from few people here that they join their kids in montessori schools as their education system is very good I tried to find what is the age they accespt kids in montessori and the school said they can take from 3 months alos. But my question is when is tyhe right age to start kids in this system. Also there is a long wait time looks like. So if I have to put my kid from 2 years looks like I will have to enroll now itself. So I want your advise on this. We do want to give the best to kid and we can afford to send to montessori.
    But at the same time wondering when would the kids really start getting benefit from this system. Thanks lot for your advise.

2. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

Well,your kid is too small for school,but if the montessori has a daycare attached then they will take any kids from 3 months onwards,but it will be daycare,not school.Montessori preschooling starts only at the age of 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 yrs.

My son went to a montessori in CA for Pre-K at the age of 3 1/2 + yrs(he was almost 4 then).I don't know about your area but we had no problem in getting him an admission and we got it immediately.I don't believe that to get admitted into a montessori schooling system,you have to put your kid so early in that school and that you have to start with daycare to get admission to the school.

Another thing to consider is that a montessori form of education is good but any montessori school has only till kindergarten.After that,anyway,we have to find another school.I will tell my experience.Now my son is going to kindergarten here in a private school.Even though he went to a montessori for pre-k,here the school authorities don't give much thought to that.In his class now,half the students do first grade math and the rest of them do kindergarten math.My son falls in the kindergarten math group.I know for sure that he is very strong in math,but the school says they assessed him and put him in the latter group.Then I found out that all those who are doing first grade math are actually students who did Pre-k in this school itself! So,there is some kind of partiality here,don't you think.

As to your question regarding when they start benefitting ,surely they will start benefitting from it only after they attend proper school,that is around the age of 3 yrs.