1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

When parents distribute assets unequally

Discussion in 'Parents & Siblings' started by Rihana, Sep 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steve

steve Platinum IL'ite

Any body's dad say that the kids should all bring their property in so he can pool it all and distribute? I heard this on a couple of occasions in my extended family essentially to shoo away the kids who have done well.

I know it sounds atrocious but we all know how outrageous a determined, borderline senile dad can be! All the sons in those situations, as I noticed, just preferred to avoid a discussion/confrontation.

2. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

3. snand003

snand003 New IL'ite

I recently heard about distribution in the olden days. According to the literature, (in bigger families) the eldest and youngest get slightly higher amounts.But this was considering that the first child had made a lot more sacrifices as he was the eldest and the youngest because he may not have grown up in life/career much.
    I personally feel there is nothing wrong in the child taking care of the parents getting a higher share.

4. Challenge

Challenge Senior IL'ite

Sorry guys but what is mean by caring here if that' s the situation ? Both bro n sis settled
    Very well financially but sis in home cntry while bro out as expat
    but bro sending money from there to parents
    Taking care of therir foreign trips to visit him whenever demanded
    Sponsoring shopping on every visit n gifting sparingly n every vacation
    if anything health issue taking Next flight panicking and taking care of medical exps
    Does that mean he is financially well off and it's ok to get lesser than other siblings
    Who are no way financially supporting but using them for their convenience in fact demanding
    From parents (indirectly frm bro ) on festivals n on other family occasions . Then while distributing property
    Comes Indian law of 50 % to daughter whether she n her family help them or rob them

1 person likes this.
  5. monita

monita Platinum IL'ite

Challange,
    IMO, if the son is sending money and the daughter is not living with the parents, the son should get more share.
    If the parents are not in dire need, I don't think son should be required to send money. And if he has to because of any reason, there should be clear communication that that amount will be paid back, but I guess it will be considered petty. It is usually taken for granted that the son will take care of parents. If a daughter is doing it, it is seen as a favour to her brother. since, it's a law now that sons and daughters get equal share in parental property, many parents want to give their DD their share, but there is also a law that sons and daughters both should provide for their parents. Is your SIL sending money to her parents?

6. aiyesha786

aiyesha786 New IL'ite

it's their own wish

7. Challenge

Challenge Senior IL'ite

Monita
    PArents not in dire need of money both earn pension returns
    On various investments and also rent on property bought with
    Son's money , very well off to gift house to daughter recently
    No Sil nt providing Ny financial support in fact demanding
    Some or other fr herself or family with some excuses..

8. snand003

snand003 New IL'ite

In todays world, daughters end up getting a higher share because firstly the property is equally divided. But the fact that daughters already get jewelry during marriage, other expenses are usually not taken into account. In addition to all this the son ends up providing to parents too.

2 people like this.
  9. kiranmadhu

kiranmadhu Senior IL'ite

It is the parent's hard earned money and it is their right to decide the distribution. In my case, i have decided to take only one third of my parent's asset and give two thirds to my sister who in spite of working hard is not able to make as much money. It is not that lazy ones are poor and bright and active ones are rich. There is something called destiny working above everybody.
    How can the children even bother about what parents do with their own money ? they have brought us up and married us off and made us settled in life. I don't think anybody has the right to even question the parents decision on their money. There is absolutely nothing wrong in giving the child who has less, more money.

1 person likes this.
  10. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Kiranmadhu,

The right of parents to distribute assets as they wish is not being questioned. The fairness of it is being discussed, and what would the siblings who get less feel.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.