1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

What's in a name?

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Jun 4, 2007.

1. So Sure

So Sure Senior IL'ite

Sri,

So, what's in your name?

Is it 'Cheeni.. ya' as in 'sugar.. ya' ? Tell you what.. our son started calling my husband by name, i.e. Suresh. Obviuosly, it was not acceptable. So, we taught him to call 'Suresh Nana'. In that case, you would be 'Sugar appa' or 'Sugar daddy' ... Oops! :oops: ... Hmm... Now, I'm Not 'So Sure'! Nah! Doesn't suit you! I'm So Sure!

Or Chennai..ya (spelling changed for numeroligical reason!) ? Like 'Paris' Hilton... that sounds better!

Or C.. hee.. 'n'.. i ... ya ! (See he and I are an item, ya! ) Or is it one of the hundred and one names of Allah! I mean, Lord Almighty! Come on, what's in a name? Or 'Ayineehc' ? Wait a minute..! Does that mean something? I'm running out of ideas... Help! :bangcomp:

Not So Sure,
    Sharada

p.s: Just kidding! Nothing personal...

Last edited: Jun 23, 2007
    9 people like this.
  2. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Hi Cheeniyassis/Cheeniyapolos,

So, you have an island under the sun? I wonder what it is named!! Anyways, thank you for the invitation to spend a few sunny moments there. Roll out the yatch, pour out the retzina, spread out the olives on feta- -- I am coming.

To get back to this rocking thread, what is in a name after all?
    'Mera naam TinTinchoo, TinTinchoo, Raat chandni mein or tu--'
    Would Tintinchoo sound as sensual and alluring if she had been named Alka or Pooja or Chandni? For sometimes,it is all in a name after all.

Just mention the name Cheeniya to me, and I roll in mirth. I am sure my parents had many guilty/sheepish moments naming me Vidya, when they saw my Math and Physics marks in high school. When I was about to get engagaed, one major deterrent in saying 'yes' to Ramji, was his name. I could not bring myself to marry a man with this name,leave alone append it to mine. Fortunately, these days, the name 'Ramji' makes my face light up in joy, my heart skip a beat. For sometimes, it is all in a name.

I have been having a lean patch for 15 years and a numerologist suggested that it was all in my name. My lucky number is apparently 6, and my name has 5 letters. So, my life turns out to be a case of being so near, yet so far. The solution was to insert an 'H' and make my name Vidhya. But if I did that, my name would lose all sense. What would Vidhya with a stressed 'dh' mean at all?
    And then Chiero suggests that the best names are those that add up to 23 based on the numbers he assigns to alphabets.

Name it, names have all the nitti gritties associated with everything else in life.

1 person likes this.
  3. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sharada
    Some people in IL did suggest to me that my ID 'cheeniya' didn't suit me and I must stick to the simple 'sri' I was seriously wondering if I should comply with that well meaning suggestion.
    But after reading your post, I have decided not to. If cheeniya can make your imagination run so wild, well that's the one I must stick on to!:)
    sri

4. Cheeniya

Dear Vidya
    Not island under the Sun but Island in the Sun! I borrowed the idea of an island in the Sun from the song 'This is my island in the Sun' sung soulfully by Harry Belafonte in the '50s!
    Physics and maths alone do not make a life. Those two subjects may give goose pimples even to Goddes Vidya! I am sure that your parents gave a wonderfully suitable name in their infinite wisdom and I have no doubt you have been justifying it in every academic step you take. What we see of your wisdom in IL is surely just the tip of the iceberg!
    I have a friend in Chennai who calls himself Abaswaram Ramji. He is a step brother of the famous Padma Subramaniam and conducts a music troup where he gives a lot of young children a chance to sing. When I asked him why this Abaswaram was tagged on to his name, he saaid he added it to avoid singing in wedding receptions! Who would print the word Abaswaram in a wedding invitation was his reasoning.
    But believe me his reasoning failed and he became the most sought after reception singer! Now he has jacked up his price so much that only people like Lakshmi Mittal could afford him!
    With this post of yours, I consider this thread of mine complete!:)
    Sri

5. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Dear Sri,
    indeed, this topic has turned from a grave one to a hilarious one, with TDU's ample contributions.
    My father's name is Meenakshi Sundaram, he was born in Madurai. But he is called Meenakshi -Sundaram as if calling a woman. It used to be very funny to watch the faces of people when they called out his name, expect a woman to show up and a man turns up instead. (Keralites were not very familiar with such names some years back). His pet name is Pitchai- named so that he would live long.
    My name was an embarassment to me while I was in school. There is a place called Sri Varaham in Trivandrum where there is a temple of Sri Varaha Swamy. My school mates used to call me Varaham which caused much embarassment and anger at my parents for giving me this name. Later it was Vara (line in Malayalam) and varam (boon) while at college. Now it does not matter at all. My elder sister's name is Chembakavalli-named after the Chembaka Devi of Kutralam. She hates the name to date and she named the younger ones after me short and sweet names.

3 people like this.
  6. Cheeniya

Dear Varloo
    I too have several friends bearing your dad's name and most of us call them just Meenakshi! While some of them plead with us either to call them MS or Sundaram, the rest have resigned themselves to being called thus!
    Many have told me that even Cheeniya sounds like a woman's name!
    Lakshmi is good enough but the Lakshmi who grants you all the boons(varam), who can grudge it? Varalakshmi is my favourite Goddess though I cant feeling at times that She can be a little more generous towards me!
    Sri

7. Tamildownunder

Tamildownunder Bronze IL'ite

Dear varloo,

Thanks for your compliments to my posts in this thread. I am inspired by Cheeniya's writtings. He has a subtle humour which makes you keep laughing. On the subject of men having names of women one name stands out to me. Some time back in many TV serials one Kovai Anuradha was acting. First when I saw the name I presumed it must be a lady since mainly ladies have the name of Anuradha (for example the famous writer Anuradha Ramanan). But, when I came to know it is not miss or mrs. Anuradha but Mr. Anuradha it was amusing to me. One more joke came to my mind on this topic. Here it is.

During the Kargil war Indian and pakistani soldiers are lined up in opposite bunkers and the situation was that any one spotted will be shot. The Indian soldiers (mostly sardarjis) hatch a plan whereby they will call out the most common Muslim names. So, firat they call, 'hey Abdul' and a Pakistani soldier gets up from his bunker asking 'who called me?' and he is shot. This goes on with Indian soldiers calling names like Mohammed, Bashir etc. The Pakistani General who observes this thinks that they also can do the same thing since sardarjis have common names also. So, he calls out ,'hey Juranial Singh'. But, Indian soldier Jurnail Singh is clever, so he says 'who called me?' without getting up from his bunker. The Pakistani General gets up and says' I called' and he is shot.

Regards,

TDU

8. Cheeniya

Dear TDU
    You seem to have more jokes up your sleeves on this name factor than I ever imagined possible!
    The latest about the Pakistani general made me laugh till my stomach ached!
    Sri

3 people like this.
  9. Tamildownunder

Tamildownunder Bronze IL'ite

Dear Cheenia,

I am really glad to know that you laughed till your stomch ached. Here are some more jokes connected with names. Pardon me if some of them are little indecent.

-------------------------------------------------------------

A psychiatrist was conducting a group therapy session with four young mothers and their small children.

"You all have obsessions," he observed.

To the first mother, Kathy, he said, "You are obsessed with eating. You've even named your daughter Candy."

He turned to the second Mom, Ann, and said: "Your obsession is with money. Again, it manifests itself in your child's name, Penny."

He turns to the third Mom, Joyce, and said: "Your obsession is alcohol. This too manifests itself in your child's name, Brandy."

At this point, the fourth mother, Mary, gets up, takes her little boy by the hand and whispers. "Come on, Dick, we're leaving"
    -----------------------------------------------------------

Q: WHY ARE HURRICANES NORMALLY NAMED AFTER WOMEN?
    A: Because, when they come, they're wild and wet. But when they go, they take your house and car with them.
    --------------------------------------------------------------

Element Name: WOMAN
    Symbol: WO
    Atomic Weight: (don't even go there!)
    Physical properties: Generally round in form. Boils at nothing and may freeze any time. Melts whenever treated properly. Very bitter if not used well.
    Chemical properties: Very active. Often unstable. Possesses strong affinity for gold, silver, platinum, and precious stones. Violent when left alone. Able to absorb great amounts of exotic food. Turns slightly green when placed next to a better specimen.
    Usage: Highly ornamental. An extremely good catalyst for dispersion of wealth. Probably the most powerful income reducing agent known.
    Caution: Highly explosive in inexperienced hands.

1 person likes this.
  10. Nivedi

Nivedi New IL'ite

Hi everyone,

I am new here and I am glad to have stopped at this post. I am having a hearty laugh reading the posts of Cheeniya Sir and TDU Sir. :rotfl

I know of a family where the children are named Swarna, Thangam, Muthu and Mani. They have nothing to do with the jewellery business and neither did I find them to be sparkling rich. :icon_frown:

We Indians generally give our pets Western names like Jimmy, Bruno, Ceaser etc. But one of my friends has two dogs whose names are Thangappan and Shankaran Kutti. Truly Indian names!

Regards,
    Nivedi

1 person likes this.