1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

What's in a name?

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Jun 4, 2007.

1. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sriniketan
    I didnt know that 'What's in a name?' applied only to famous people. That's a new angle really. Do you mean to say the lowlier people accepted their names as a part of their fate? I had chap by name Pichai as a colleague of mine. He was named so by his parents after three of his elder siblings died premature. This chap survived but his conviction that he was saved only because of his name was too strong. Though he hated the name, he had no guts to change it. But the complex that his name gave him was so great that he hardly made a mark in any assignment.
    I remember vividly how embarrassed he used to feel whenever he was asked to introduce himself in a seminar or workshop!
    Sri

2. Cheeniya

Dear AGR
    I do aree with you that everyone has a passion for hearing his own name provided that the name is not too traditional or peculiar. I have seen people waging a daily battle to overcome the complex that their names gave them. We must be thankful to our parents for giving us names which are not very embarrassing!
    Sri

1 person likes this.
  3. Cheeniya

Dear Vidya
    I was going through the FBs to this thread of mine and found a long and very interesting one from you. Before I could come to your FB to reply, I found that it had vanished. Did you withdraw it for any reason?
    Sri

1 person likes this.
  4. Cheeniya

Dear Chithra
    I didnt know that my handle Cheeniya could turn people away! I thought it was one hell of a fancy name but anyway, all is well that ends well. I have gained your acceptance and that's what that matters!
    I think that Dharmasamvardhani suits you better from the point of view of the highly elevating threads you post in your Culture forum. You may write as Chithra when you have fun with your buddies reminiscing your younger days!
    Remember Pushpa Thangadurai wrote detective thrillers in that name and when he was writing solemn stuff he wrote as Srivenugopalan.
    Yes I did come across all those Mannangattis and Poochis during my Madurai days in mid65! My heart always bled for them!
    Sri

4 people like this.
  5. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Cheeniya, obviously, nothing! Chithra's ( or should it be Dharmasamvardhini's??!) post is the proof. If even your name, which she abhorred , could not keep her away from your writings, is it not enough to convince you that a name is really nothing?:)
    These days, a slight regret does rise up within me as my growing friends' circle in IL see me as 'Kamla' ! Strange, who is this Kamla after all...I only print that name exclusively in IL. Hmm...maybe I have to contradict myself here...maybe there is 'something' in a name, after all :)
    I feel terribly sorry for your friend 'Pichai'. That is some name to live up to and out of :))))
    My two daughters are not pleased with me either. When she found out that her 'pet' name, which became her name for all purposes, meant Kiss in Hindi, my older daughter refused to forgive me!
    When my younger daughter's name got mutated in the German diction and she was called 'Pretty' forever, she doubled up with embarrassment.
    Oh well, what's in a name........?!?!
    Once again, a lovely write up from you:)

L, Kamla

6. sudhavnarasimhan

sudhavnarasimhan Silver IL'ite

Dear Cheeniya,

I was wondering where u r leading when you started with Juliet.....thought u were going into the romantic angle perhaps! Mmmmm.....but from where to where?! Itch guard....and the mkting failures etc etc.....
    my my i did not realise there is so much in a NAME! So we can't say the above title anymore na...".What's in a name!? "
    Enjoyed reading the way you went thru the whole subject.....but i must say i never gave a thought abt my name ....was it because i believe in the above phrase!? " what's in a name?"with an indifference, or do we create our own attachments in our minds !? I wonder:tongue

7. chitrajan

chitrajan Bronze IL'ite

Dear Sr. Sri,

There is a lot in a name especially when it is one's own.

I for one have always fought with my mother that she did not search for a name for me. It seems that a movie by name Chitrangi was being shown and being a second daughter - they did not bother much - Now is that not unfair?

My sons both now in their teens have strong objections when I call them with shortened versions of their names or pet names. I am allowed to use the pet names only at home and if Dad is not around - in short it is a privilege granted to me:icon_frown: -- so that is what is in a name.

8. Cheeniya

Dear Kamla
    There was nothing in a name till about twenty years back but now name has become very important. See your daughters' reaction vis a vis your own!
    It is said that being a well-dressed man gave one a lot of self confidence. In a party of high profile people, you feel pretty low in self esteem if you are not dressed up to the occasion no matter what your accomplishments are! A name is as important as dressing up to feel self confidence.
    I have seen how people with funny names used to wriggle in discomfort when a roll call was taken even in my college days!
    sri

1 person likes this.
  9. Cheeniya

Dear Sudha
    You have probably not bothered about a name because your parents in their high wisdom have given you a sweet name that will stand the test of time! And you are doubly lucky because your hubby too has a nice and powerful name that synchronises well with yours. No wonder you say that you never thought much about the importance of names!
    Btw, that V sandwiched between your names does spell victory nah!:)
    Sri

10. Cheeniya

Dear Chitra
    What's wrong with Chitrangi? I think its rather a nice name. It kind of ignites images of royalty which goes well with the way you carry your image in IL!:)
    Sri