1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

What u feeding your 1 year olds/toddlers?

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by loonypooh, Oct 18, 2010.

1. gayuharini

gayuharini Bronze IL'ite

Hi Poonam,

Your recipies which i found in other threads is too good.
    Little DD's menu s'day
    Break fast - little pongal and then one idli which she demanded from my plate with sambhar also.
    mid morning snack - 1 banana , little pomegranate juice.
    lunch - dalia +cheese pulav ( thanks poonam , DD loved this recipie)
    evening snack - cheese sandwich
    dinner - half dosa , cerelac.

in addition she had milk , water inbetween.

Regards
    Gayathri

2. gayuharini

gayuharini Bronze IL'ite

Ladies ,

I have a question - what do u feed ur child if he/she wakes in between the night sleep.
    I feed her cerelac only during these times.
    I've not practiced her with bottle /sipper till now. only spoon feed.
    I dont have patience to warm milk and spoon feed her half way in sleep.

Any suggestions.

Regards
    Gayathri

3. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

gayathri i dont u need to feed ur baby in the middle of night..... give her a sip of water or two, you might think she gets up coz she us hungry? maybe thats not true...
    i give my daughter a sip or two of water, and pat her back to sleep. they dont get up coz they are hungry, but coz they have difficulty going back to sleep ..... we adults toss turn wen we lose our sleep, our LOs will get up and be wide awake.. i also allow my DD to play in the bed for a while , she goes back to sleep in sometime.

4. sansmomy

sansmomy Bronze IL'ite

Hi,
    This sure is a nice thread to check...however, the question 'How much' is the one which is haunting me most of the times...I.e. DD also eats dal-rice or moong khichadi as her lunch/dinner, but i suspect that she eats it in too less quantity...she can not be called a picky eater, but she surely isnt intrested much in food :( She can go as max as 8-9 hrs without ANY food in-take....She NEVER demands food, is NEVER houngry and NEVER takes food without tantrums...Feeding her is an exhaustive task...I work full time and hence over weekdays her baby-sitter takes care of her...however,
    weekend is my tasting time with her...

Coming back to my question...'How much' is enough for a one yr old (DD is 15 months) ?...one of my friends told that she feeds around 250ml of blended dal+rice to her DS at a time...this is way too high for my DD (she normally will be done with 90-100 ml of similar food)...I know, every baby is different and will have different likings/habits for food...however, i asssume there must be some baseline for a specific age-group...

I also feed her ragi (around 90-100 ml) / chapati (half at a time) / upama (may be around 50gms) / fruits (1 banana or 1 mid-sized apple at a time)...However i can never judge if this much is sufficient for her, she will not complain (rather would be happy) whenver i stop feeding her food (no matter how much she has taken in)...She was born at 2.7kgs and still not reached 10kgs....She looks lean and that makes me feel so sad :(

Can anybody shed soem light on 'how much' is sufficient for a 1 yr old?

~S.

5. gayuharini

gayuharini Bronze IL'ite

Dear Poonam.

I tried giving DD only few sips of milk or water, left her to be awake some time / play.
    But she was not happy for that. Kept on asking for food.
    Maybe she feels hungry and till date i feed her at 3 am with few spoons cerelac.

Regards
    Gayathri

6. gayuharini

gayuharini Bronze IL'ite

Sansmomy,

I think being lean or less than 10kg is not an issue.
    My DD now 1.5 yrs has touched 10 kg now only and is lean. She'l be happy with few spoons of food at a time. May be she is contented with half full tummy. but will demand food every 2 or 3 hrs.

Try adding few pinch of salt, masala, ghee to the food you give ur kid.
    Adding the above will help my DD to have few spoons extra.

Regards
    Gayathri

7. sansmomy

sansmomy Bronze IL'ite

Thanks Gayathri, appreciate your inputs!
    Well, adding ghee/salt/jeera powder is deafult for my DD (she wont have a single bite without some spice/flavour added to her food) so dont know what i should do extra...My brain knows that being lean is not an issue (I myself was always an underweight but super-healthy and immune as compared to other children of my age)...However, whenver DD catches small infections (like cough and cold), my heart starts worrying that is may be due to her inadequate diet :(

I hope that this phase passes soon and DD starts eating normal food (whatever we eat)...

~S.

8. Sahmaara

Sahmaara Bronze IL'ite

Hi Ladies,

I have a one yr old baby girl. She has low hemoglobin (pls see my thread in toddlers section), so we are on a mission to give her fresh and nutritious food each time. However, of late, she has become very fussy about food and has a sweet tooth. She eats only food that is sweet. She used to eat all fruits before, but now she has rejected orange and grapes. She only eats banana now.
    I do not want to give her sugary food nor do I want to starve her due to her deficiency. I am running short of ideas to prepare meals with jaggery (gud).
    I am giving her wheat sheera, oats with jaggery, ragi with jaggery, rava sheera with jaggery. But I am running short of ideas. Please help me ladies. Also, let me know how can I encourage her to eat foods with salt/spices (non-sweet).
    Thanks a lot.

9. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

r u a vegetarian? if not then u cld go for lean meats/fish/poultry........give her iron fortified cereal/pasta/raisin bread/raisin muffins...
    include dates/raisin/nuts in her brkfast.
    if you are making chapati for her include soya flour into it.

10. Vishalini3

Vishalini3 Silver IL'ite

We make this dhal kheer.
    1/2cup cooked moong dhal, 1/2cup or less jaggery syrup, a pinch of salt, 2tbsp raisins, 2-3crushed cashews/almonds, cardomom powder a pinch.
    Boil the jaggery syrup for 2-3mins, add the cooked dhal, salt, bring it to a thick consistency, add ghee/butter roasted raisins and nuts, add cardamom powder,cool and serve. You can add milk or milkmaid while serving :)

Last edited: Dec 31, 2010
    1 person likes this.