1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

What to bring from India - with space avail.

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by Classy, May 18, 2007.

1. Classy

Classy New IL'ite

Hello,

I am going on a short trip 10 days to India. I may have time to do shopping only on 1-2 days. I know this depends on personal needs but I don't see anything quick coming up to my mind for shopping in a quick time. Any suggestions? I already have got decor stuff in the past so thinking may be a nice big lamp (kuthuvizhakku) that I can quickly buy from a store in Chennai.

2. vidhyalakshmid

vidhyalakshmid IL Hall of Fame

Hi,
    You can buy chudidars from India, because it is very expensive here in US you know.I have visited Indiaonly for 3 weeks. It was very hectic and I have no time to go for elaborate purchase, becoz I can`t go with my baby. I got chudidars on last but one day of my departure.

3. libran23

libran23 Senior IL'ite

Hi,

I don't how important it will sound to you.
    But i feel u can bring some special species which you use in your personal cooking because i feel the taste is really different.

Anshita

4. rohini

rohini New IL'ite

Hi Classy,

I agree with what both our friends have suggested here.

It is good to shop for Indian spices & dresses. Especially the inner wears, I am not sure how many of you buy here in the US. I find it is very expensive. Everytime I shop for them in India.

Have a safe trip to India and Happy Shopping!

Rohini

5. cheer

cheer Silver IL'ite

6. cheer

cheer Silver IL'ite

Just to add, last time when i visit India, i brought footwear including new fashioned slippers/flip flop, sandals etc, here these things are more costly than india & there we find more variety.

7. vaishnavilakshmi

vaishnavilakshmi Bronze IL'ite

Hi,

Iam not sure of ur personal needs.But i can suggest u to buy any of the following which u think necessary :-
    churidars-casuals and partywears,nice matching tops for ur jeans ,fancy footwear,fancy jewellery(if interested),kundan clips,rubberbands,puja items,spices-powders,mixes,wetgrinder,mixie,daals(they are expensive now in usa).And if u have small kids,u can buy Partywear apparel for them.Not the casuals.Casuals are very good over here.

Hope this helps u,
    Vaishu

8. springsnb

springsnb Gold IL'ite

Thnks you..... i am also looking for this....