1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

What the signs foretell…

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Padmasrinivas, Jul 13, 2010.

1. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Padma
    First of all tell me why that disclaimer was inserted in the end? This was a nice and enjoyable post right through and there was absolutely nothing that could possibly offend anyone. I am just intrigued!

Illustrated Weekly of India was a great favourite of mine too. I once won a few hundred rupees in the famous Crosswords of the weekly and it was a princely sum those days. You have rightly listed out the popular columns of the Magazine. In my days, two pages used to be allotted by the magazine to publish the photographs of newlyweds. We would sit down with a scissors in hand and rematch the couples as we always found that every couple was a mismatch! I am talking about the pre-Raman days of the Weekly. It was a sad day when the IWOI ceased publication. Busybee, the effervescent columnist of TOI wrote a nice obituary very typical of him! Our dear friend Kamal admits that he and Kushwant Singh shared a common interest but disappointingly misled us. I know better than Kamal what the special interest between them both was!

The Hindu’s astrological predictions based on both solar and lunar systems were typically a brahminical one. I guess when Ram took charge of the paper, he got rid of it being a rationalist!

I fully agree with you that it would be better if one concentrated on the signs of daily life and decoded them, it could help us in running our life smoothly. I studied in Hindu High School in Triplicane. When we observed that our class teacher had just shaved his head, we would desist from annoying him because if he was roused to fury on those days, he would go to the extent of murdering us! Similarly our Sanskrit teacher was a chronic patient of piles. Whenever we saw him sitting on one side and grimaced when he had to shift his position, we would be very careful with him!

A lovely post, Padma!

Sri

2. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

I read Cheeniya's FB, well i have a lot of common things with Khuswant, we both love our drinks, we both keep on writing of things here and there, and we both post jokes at the end !!!

Tell me yr worst enemy and i will interview him or her.HAHA

Regards

kamal

3. Padmasrinivas

Padmasrinivas Silver IL'ite

Dear Cheeniya sir,

I find there are many who do believe in the predictions of the stars, avidly following famous astrologers like Bejan Daruwalla and his Ganesha...just the fear of hurting their sentiments inadvertently made me think it wise to add the last bit...

Let me confess that on rare accasions, I read the previous week's forecast and find that it is not too far off the mark... so perhaps I qualify as a cat-on-the-wall category!?

Anyway, I believe we make our own destiny, I try to think positive and be a good human being...

But it is a lot more fun to read people's faces and actions and try to decipher their moods and sentiments...

The Illustrated Weekly was a fund of information, well-researched articles in excellent English and the humour was something else... when the IW decided to call it a day, (should I say the editors and powers-that-be thought it fit to do so), all of us were shattered...

This is getting to be rather too long-winded...so let me say

Thank you, Cheeniya sir, for always being there...

Best regards,
    Padma