1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

What should I do ?? family issues

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by mariegold, May 19, 2015.

1. mariegold

mariegold Junior IL'ite

I was brought up in a very closed knit family with strong emphasis family values,
    that left a strong impact on our minds and I had wished to carry that forward after my wedding. My parents treated me and my brothers as equal , probably pampered me a little more

I have been married for close to four years, it was arranged marriage as it it happens in most of the families my parents and Inlaws have add issues sometimes due to miscommunication and sometimes due to different atmospheres.
    My inlaws always felt that my parents are girls parents and should not have say in anything, small things like not going to a party or not wishing on a festival just once in a while were made out of proportion. While my parents ignored it for sometime now they take these things seriously and don't accept certain things they feel are wrong and convey it my inlaws( Which is good as they need to set the right expectations and stand for the right)

I always tried to maintain a separate relationship with my inlaws, what it means is , if my inlaws and parents had some problems I asked them to deal it directly
    as me and my husband were greatly being affected this.

Even my parents and inlaws major problems I tried to maintain a cordial relationship with my inlaws, the reason being while I was growing up I was always taught that to treat inlaws as my own parents now as problems start growing these are the issues I am facing

- My inlaws think my husband has changed after wedding that is he has more importance for me and my parents ( it is totally not true), he is given a very hard time emotionally because they feel he doesnt care much.

- My parents are always super upset with me, because they think I never standup for them when my inlaws say something wrong and do something wrong

- When I had some problems with my inlaws in the past I didnt argue with them and just overlooked lot of stuff which did not happen correctly with me. I overlooked because I thought me reacting to the situation would make my husbands relationship with his parents more complicated and I also thought both families would suffer. As my parents know what I went through they feel I am a very scared person and I dont standup for myself either.

How do I deal this situation, really confused. How can I make my parents and inlaws understand that they are equal and most important part of our lifes ?

How do we as girls/ women keep a strong relationship with our parents, when are seperated by distance, time

2. PavithraS

PavithraS Platinum IL'ite

Dear OP,

Looks like in your case elders are acting childishly and you youngsters very sensibly. I really appreciate your clear thought process of parents of either side deal with themselves their problems. Good thought .:exactly:please remember that by avoiding any disputes and keeping mum, you are losing out nothing, instead you are coming out stronger...

Now coming to your current issue, you do not have to worry about petty politics both side elders are engaged.. Ask your husband to talk with your parents and you talk with in laws explaining how this childish act of theirs makes your marriage unhappy.. Just do it once, very softly, very maturely , but very firmly...After that do not worry about any thing.. Continue to maintain a cordial relation ship....Act as though what they say or do is not affecting your love for them.. Slowly they will also understand your magnanimity
    and start reciprocating.. All you need to do is wait patiently...
    It really hurts when elders who have the responsibility of seeing you settle in marriage life do the exact opposite. Your parents should understand that they can not keep on expecting you to side with them always.. At the same time you do not have the obligation to side with in laws in whatever they say..

Be non judgmental and give a matter only that much importance and recognition that it really commands.It is only natural for any in laws to feel and express that their son/daughter is not giving importance to them after marriage.. It is almost the same situation in everybody's life ..

As far as you both are clear about the fact, do not let these trivia matters upset you.. With time all these will come to a conclusion on their own. Do not panic and over react..
    Once you utter or do something in haste then you might regret it for long time, sometime even for a life time..

So my opinion is continue to be same as you are now, wise and mature.. Everything will be al right soon...

All the best for a successful and happy married life !

Regards,

Pavithra

1 person likes this.