1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

What self defence mechanism did you teach your child?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous in Parenting' started by JGVR, Aug 26, 2013.

1. JGVR

JGVR Gold IL'ite

with the increasing number of news about rapes and child molestation,it becomes a nightmare for every parent to raise their child in this cut throat society.

As per surveys,most molestations happen within the child's home or in the neighbourhood that too with the person known to them.In such a case teaching the child about molestations/sexual abuse and ways to handle them becomes necessary.

This thread is all about the following questions.Moms who have spoken to their children(kids,teens,college goers) about this please respond.

1.Have you taught your child about good touch and bad touch and ways to respond?
    2.Have you taught your child to raise his/her voice if molestation happens in public?
    3.What other safety precautions have you taught your child?

Please do pour in your thoughts.

Thanks

2 people like this.

Similar Threads
    1. susan123
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. susan123
      Replies:
      Views:
    3. susan123
      Replies:
      Views:
  2. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

when my daughters were younger...
    1)I taught them how no one could touch them at certain places.If someone does...inform us.
    2) I told them ,no matter who it is....if they make you uncomfortable by their touch or words....tell them to stop and inform us or the teacher...whoever is available first.
    3)If they feel threatened specially by an adult....scream ,kick ,bite....whatever needs to be done to get away.
    4) Most importantly.....attract attention of other adults and let them know they are in trouble.

Now that my daughters are teenagers...the elder one learns self defence ....Krav Maga.The younger one will start in a few months.

2 people like this.
  3. anmolhai

anmolhai Platinum IL'ite

Open dialogue with my son and daughter. Just so you know molestation happens to boys too.

* no one should touch you inappropriately and what does that mean?

* Doing sexual things due to peer pressure is not something they shd be doing. What does that mean and what to do in such situations.

* attract attention if ever in trouble and run towards crowds.

* if someone tries to or does something inappropriate DO come to us and its not your fault.

*If anyone and I mean really anyone ( even close relative) does something to make them uncomfortable-- talk to me.

* that I am always there for THEM and no matter what I will always be on their side.

* Raise your voice-- speak up if someone is trouncing or talking to you in inappropriate manner

* if you walking home and someone stops you to help them-- DONT!

* Never get into any stranger's car , I have heard some cases where they told child they are looking for their lost dog or looking for a address & can they come with them to show them or help them.

1 person likes this.
  4. JGVR

JGVR Gold IL'ite

Thankyou yellowmango and anmolhai-those are really good inputs.

5. Mahajanpragati

Mahajanpragati Platinum IL'ite

like most mother I have aslo taught these basic things to my kids.
    Now days there is lots of trend of play dates.......i am not much happy with that & refuse most of them.i send kids to only those house I am very very sure of parents and then too I try to encourage my kids to play outside only.

lastly ,self defense classes are must.not only does it helps in confidence building but it strenghtens the character of child so that he/she is able to stand upto peers & say No to many things(like drug or alchol abuse)

2 people like this.
  6. sumanrathi

sumanrathi IL Hall of Fame

not only kids Adult also should go out with precaution. I read today Adult should carry Pepper water always in the bag ( we can use any used spray bottle just 50 ml ) this will help you to come out from that place and make them trouble.

7. JGVR

JGVR Gold IL'ite

Thanks MahajanPragati and Sumanrathi.

8. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

Never too early, i suppose. When my child was about 20 months old, she started getting curious about her body. She'd touch each part I her body and ask for its name. When it came to bottom/ genitals/ chest/ belly I would add that only she is allowed to touch that. also that dad and mum can only touch to clean her with her permission. I also used to say if you feel uncomfortable, just yell "STOP". I didn't think she understood much. Whenever she asked questions about her body I'd repeat all this, in just a matter of fact manner.

However about 6 weeks later when she had high temperature I took her to the doc and to my surprise she totally refused to let me even lift her top in front of the doctor! Since then whenever I was taking her to a dentist or doctor, I'll warn her first what they might do, reassure her that I'd be with her and make sure she would be safe.

She tests me and my husband sometimes dictating who is allowed to change her nappy or give her a shower. "Mum no touch. Only dad touch" and so on. I hope I'm not making her paranoid....

1 person likes this.