1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

What Is Umbilical Hernia And Its Operation

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by sunkan, Jun 30, 2007.

1. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

All about my operation and its reaction:
    On the first day I met Dr.Sanjay rao the physician and after analyzing he put me through to Dr.Arun, a surgeon, all very young and competent wondered how we relied so much on age and experience in those days.

Columbia Asia does not give u a hospital feeling, so it looks more like u visiting some museum as the art work on the walls and the smell of atmosphere is different, not the usual phenyl that one is used to. It is completely A/C.

Now coming to my case my sugar level was fluctuating too much even after medication so got my self admitted in the hospital to bring it down, it took another day, and finally they felt it was fine to operate, now what is this umbilical hernia and why does it come, was the question I put forth to Dr. Arun, though he had not much answer as to why it occurs he was at least able to make me understand as to what it is. It is a weak wall on the abdomen of the stomach near the umbilical cord or in the umbilical cord itself where, the intestine get in and start to make a U shape and bulge as it grows, which becomes very painful, sometime after u have removed ur uterus u tend to get it, or over weight and some said it could be due to abortions when young, anyway now this is the scene. I liked the way Dr.Arun said now don’t ask for any piece because I wont have any, he also took the trouble to drawing all this on a paper and showing me actually how this happens and so on…

When the intestine that contain fluid tend to bulge and the umbilical cord that it goes via also stretches and this becomes very painful, if not attended early it may twist and stop blood supply to the intestine and it could turn into gangrene, now here the doctor was very specific that nothing is going to be cut so no pieces will be available, they are going to open the stomach and put back the intestine in its place, then cover the rest with a mesh in between the abdominal wall and also the umbilical cord patch, they leave behind a pipe stuck inside the stomach and the patch for the fluids to collect which take sometime as it all pours out, otherwise it could turn very stiff and may take longer to soften the stomach.

What ever may be the situation you are alone so in this case too, though the grown up children were there, I know I had to face it there alone, so while taking me inside I had my own jitters, that I should come out fine, all should fall into place, though in the net they said they r treating this as outpatient and is a half an hour operation, all said and done but when facing the actual stuff u r tensed, but then give in, as I was rolled into the operation theatre kept diverting my mind as to how the soul travels sometime in operation theatre and so on, once inside they tied both my hands to a pedestal stuff and in one they had kept the blood pressure unit and the other had a injection base set up for all those medicine and anesthesia to go in, after the injection I felt I am going into a slumber and the funny thing was the anesthesian telling me he is giving oxygen when I know that is also to make me sleep, still took it, and complete bliss..

When I woke I found the seething pain on the abdomen, and was slowly wheeled back, to my bed, I found one thing common the body tends to become very hot after any operation and one tends to sweat more, even though the A/c is on to the full blast, u never feel the chillness unless may be after 2 to 3 days. Now it has been more than a week and the great jutting of the pipe is still there collecting fluid and I am unable to go for walk as I am given a lot of sedative and painkiller, so keep sleeping and waking not knowing the hours and also lost my taste buds hope someone would revive, poor chitra takes so much trouble making simple rasams which I used to enjoy now all feels like chalk, no amount of different temptation seems to help me, any way I know as the crucial is over and I will though take sometime will definitely come out of it sooner or later regards sunkan

2. rajmiarun

rajmiarun Gold IL'ite

Dear SunKan Maam,

GET WELL SOON.

But let me too share my experience. I was told that I have Umblical Herina after my daughter was born, as I already had an abortion and my daughter was a c-sec baby. I had the bulge and it will feel like stone and I used to get severe back pains also. Thanks to my gynec who guided me that it need not definitely be umblical herenia so if you are planning for a second baby, that will come out during the delivery.

As it was due to the heart beat of my daughter during my delivery pains I had to undergo c-sec, the doctor said that I can have a normal delivery for the second baby. I delivered my son normally and whatever I had came out and now I am ok.

1 person likes this.
  3. springsnb

springsnb Gold IL'ite

Hello friend Rajmiarun,

If you don't mind can you read my thread: http://www.indusladies.com/forums/health-issues/226487-umbilical-hernia-guide-me-please.html

In simple words..... i had umbilical hernia after my 1st delivery with c-sec when the baby was in 8months.I am planning for 2nd baby.
    1> Is it neccessary to go to surgery?
    2>without surgery can i plan for 2nd baby? and after will go for surgery?
    Just i am asking your suggession because looks like your case is same as mine.

Thanks.

4. springsnb

springsnb Gold IL'ite

Last edited: Jul 30, 2013