What is this greens-Tandala Bhaji ?

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by sunitha, Aug 13, 2007.

1. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

Does anyone know what is Tandala Bhaji?

This is a green leafy vegetable(keerai in Tamil),but I think the above name is a Sindhi or Punjabi name.I want to know what this is in Tamil or Malayalam?

Or if anyone has used this in cooking,how did you make it? I got this from my Indian Grocer and he does not know the tamil name for this.

2. Sindhuja

Sindhuja Silver IL'ite

Hi Sunitha,
    I got the information below from hort.purdue.edu. Looks like Digera Arvensis is the botanical name of Tandala. The tamil name or malayalam name of this keerai is not written. But ILites who know telugu, kannada or or bengali can help you. All the best!

Digera arvensis, Forsk. India: plant and seeds used as famine food in Alwar, Dhopur, Jaipur, Bhartpur, Ajmir-Merwara, Jodhpur, Udaipur and Bikanir, in Rajputana; and Nasik, in the Bombay Presidency The plant is generally used as a pot herb. The leaves are made into curries or the entire plant is boiled in water and seasoned with salt, and chili. Chemical composition = Fat = 2.82% (dry). Albumenoids = 17.24% (dry). Carbohydrates = 41.43% (dry). Fibre = 20.83% (dry). Ash = 17.68% (dry). Nitrogen = 2.76% (dry). Phosphoric acid = .73% (dry). Silicates = 1.84% (dry).
    Vernacular names - Bengali: Luta mahawria, Gunjattiya. Santal: Kari gandhari. Pushto: Gar tundula, Das. Punjabi:Tartara, Kundra tandala, Leswa. Sindhi: Tandala. Bombay: Getan, Kunjur, Kunjari, Kunira, Kunjra, Kundru : Malegaon, Nasik District, Bombay Presidency: . Rajputana: Lahuswa, Lahuswali, Lesua sag, Leswa, Kalinjara, Lalra, Labro, Lalinjra, Lolharu. Telugu: Chenchali kura, Chanchali kura. Kannada: Akoi-goraji.( Ref. GAMMIE, HOOPER, WATT).

Hope that helps.

3. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

4. Induslady

Induslady Administrator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Sunitha,

I do remember buying this greens - Tandal Jo Ni Bhaji - frozen packet swad brand from a nearby Indian grocery in my place.

When I was pregnant the doctor advised me to go for lots of greens due to Iron deficiency. So I used to hunt for greens in both American and Indian stores and that's when I got this Tandal greens. I cooked it like any other greens - kootu using moong dhal.

In a pressure pan I put this greens (if you have got fresh ones then chop it finely), 1/2 cup of moong dhal, g.chillies, tomato, onions, enough salt and cooked for 1 whistle adding required amount of water. Then seasoned mustard seeds, urad dhal and little jeera. That's it, yummy kootu ready.

Hope you will like it too.

Malathy

5. krishnaamma

krishnaamma Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Sunitha,

See this the Tamil name for this keerai is 'Thoya keerai'.:-D Now cleared?

<TABLE width="90%" align=center><TH align=left bgColor=#c8dfbd>3 common name found scientific name: "Digera arvensis"
    </TH>
    <TABLE width="90%" align=center bgColor=#ffffff><TH align=left bgColor=#c8dfbd>Common name</TH><TH align=left bgColor=#c8dfbd>Scientific name</TH><TD align=left bgColor=#dfeedb> 1. Latmahuria (Hindi) <TD align=left bgColor=#dfeedb><!-- for sciname of common name -->Digera arvensis <TD align=left bgColor=#dfeedb> 2. Thoya Keerai (Tamil) <TD align=left bgColor=#dfeedb><!-- for sciname of common name -->Digera arvensis <TD align=left bgColor=#dfeedb> 3. Chenchali koora (Telugu) <TD align=left bgColor=#dfeedb><!-- for sciname of common name -->Digera arvensis

6. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

Thank you ladies,I am overwhelmed by the responses.:2thumbsup:

Sindhuja and Sunkan,I found the same thing in Google too,but it only confused me further.Sunkan,there is no mullu in this keerai so I really doubt whether it is mullu keerai.

Malathy,I got the fresh ones so will try this kootu and let you know.

Sumathi,thank you too,maybe it is Thoya keerai,but what is thoya keerai?

7. krishnaamma

Hi Sunitha,

I too dont know about the keerai. I searched for you only. You wanted the

Tamil name, I gave, search for it.:-D :wink:

8. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

Thank you Sumathi,well,I did search,no results.

Ok,Forget it,I'll just cook it and see.:mrgreen:

9. krishnaamma

Hay,

Have you cooked the green? What is the result? I am eargly waiting for that.:-D