1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

What is the secret ingredient for a Happy Marriage?

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by SGBV, Oct 11, 2012.

1. dsmenon

dsmenon Gold IL'ite

In our marriage of 5 years, the secret ingredient was replacing "i" with "we" & "my" with "ours" making it more of -we, us and ours than i,me, myself.

Regarding In-laws & relatives i dont have much interference from them(though we live within 35 miles) hence idk.

Rgds,
    ds

2 people like this.
  2. fencesitter

fencesitter Platinum IL'ite

In kung fu panda's style "Nothing". There is no secret ingredient.

3 people like this.
  3. polymorphic

polymorphic Platinum IL'ite

I think married couple need to feel like a team. Trust,faith, respect,love,care,affection and helping nature is needed. A great team can make the impossible possible.

1 person likes this.
  4. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Thanks everyone for your valuable response (and the ingredients). After reading through all your posts, I come to a conclusion that if a couple are reasonable, and their in laws (extended family) are also reasonable, then indeed there won't be any need for a secret ingredient for a happy marriage.

of course, I have been reading through so much suggestions, of these I could able to pick only one commonality, that those have a happy marriage, have no or limited (reasonable) in laws problems. Then, having adjustment with the spouse or loving, caring etc..etc.. are not a big deal.

My question is, how come your love or any of those above said ingredients helped you to build a happy marriage amidst your nosy (extreme though) in laws? How did you manage to be back on track after such initial hiccups?

Correct me if I am wrong.... but i feel, there is no point of repeating the well known ingredients (love, care, understating, trust, etc..etc..), while such serious underlying in laws issues are there.

5. polymorphic

polymorphic Platinum IL'ite

I for one, posting secrets do not mean we had less inlaws issues or does not mean we have great marriage(sadly). Its just from our own experience that we feel what could have prevented things from happening. When a woman gets married, she foolishly expects that if she respects everybody then everybody will love her. But, the fact is in india the inlaws and the husband expects wife to get adjusted into the family no matter how they welcome you.. husbands bother only about results. they dont care about whether his family is right or wrong. its EXPECTED that you as a wife does not disturb the existing ecosysytem in the family and no family member should feel that you are existing (like a maid ).

So, in short. if you feel you can have it all you are just being foolish. You have to make choices in life. We still have the choice to listen to our inlaws and feel bad or we can choose to ignore. You know, same applies for husband too. If your husband is unreasonable as well then same holds for him. Just accept people the way they are (even if you dont likfe them or what they do to you) and live your life. THe minute you feel your goodness are expected and are taken for granted it is time to withdraw , be it any relationship. hubsand or with inlaws.

2 people like this.
  6. Blueblue

Blueblue Bronze IL'ite

In our 6 years of married life..the only secret ingredient is "Communication". Both of us will just speak our heart out to each other :)

1 person likes this.
  7. Anitap

Anitap IL Hall of Fame

Choosing the right battle (while ignoring the other annoyances)

Having a mind of our own (both bride and groom)

2 people like this.
  8. FreeSpirit20

FreeSpirit20 Platinum IL'ite

Well, we sailed through the initial hiccups fine with lots of patience. Initially I used to favor my relatives and tell him what bad his relatives have done, but I'm glad my DH kept quiet then. Later when we lived separately from both sets of parents, we talked and talked and talked, and after reading many stories on IndusLadies, I learnt what wrong I was doing. I understood that I love my parents but they are humans too and could do wrong. Same case with DH. And now the situation is like we can talk good/bad about any relative/parent on either side. And we could not be happier. :)

4 people like this.
  9. Visasri

Visasri Platinum IL'ite

Actually this is what my DH wants me to do, but I somehow lose my cool. Felt that hiccups and still facing some. But always my DH and mom ask me to consider the action rather than getting tensed. "kariyam perisa verriyam perisa" is what my mom says. That works, but not always. If there is some patience and lots of love and mutual respect, I think even without other ingredients, the food is palatable.

2 people like this.
  10. riyagan

riyagan Gold IL'ite

actually omission of one particular ingredient will make married life happier!

1 person likes this.