What is the one thing you like and hate about Houston ?

Discussion in 'Indians in Houston' started by MeenLoch, Feb 13, 2008.

1. MeenLoch

MeenLoch Silver IL'ite

Ladies,
    How about sharing this ? What is that you like the most or hate the most about staying in Houston?
    People who have lived in other states will be able to answer this question can site the differences.
    New comers to Houston will find this thread interesting.

As for myself -

The one thing I like a lot - Lots of space. After seeing the multi-storeyed buildings in India, when I stepped in Houston, I found there was so muchc space for everyone.

Library is the next best thing I like about Houston and US as a whole.

The one thing I hate - Heat. It is good for people who have stayed up north and shift here, but the scorching heat for 8 months spares no one. 8 o clock is when the sun sets. But one can have many activities in summer, like swimming and other water based sports.

2. smadhu

smadhu New IL'ite

Hi Ladies,

That's a good topic, especially useful for newcomers to Houston. The first thing I like about Houston is the weather (though hot), it makes me feel home, then the huge Indian community here. We can see atleast one Indian in every street (though many of them don't mind you as a fellow Indian - but I think this is not anything particular about Houston).

I like the Meenakshi temple here, I heard that people from other cities come to Houston especially to visit Meenakshi temple. Then lot of other places - like Hillcroft Indian shops, Swami narayana temple (especially the sweet (gift) shop there, don't miss it if you go there), Stafford kerala stores, etc etc.

The worst things about Houston are the bad drivers and growing crime activities.:hide

3. MeenLoch

MeenLoch Silver IL'ite

Hot weather making you feel at home - Very true :)
    Crime rates - Ever increasing.

Indians are scattered. They are clustered around companies like HP, Sugarland etc. Was surprised to see so many Indians during Sonu Nigam show 3 months back. 15000 was the stregth, just Osnu Nigam fans. It's 4 th largest in terms of Indian population, among other US cities.

4. sush99

sush99 New IL'ite

One thing I hate is weather(too hot n dry) in summer and also there are no much sightseeing places around.
    Things I like.....cost of living is less so ultimately we can save more:) and Indian temples especially meenakshi temple and saibaba ,Swaminarayan temple.And yes ,I do like the sweets at swami narayan temple ..they are fresh .

5. gayatri00

gayatri00 New IL'ite

hi,
    dis thread is gr8 ! really wanted 2 knw abt houston as we wud b relocatin thr in a couple of days.thankx al d answers wer very informative

6. Mom2499

Mom2499 Senior IL'ite

Hi Ladies,

One thing I love about Houston is that it is family friendly compared to the other States in the US.

The thing that I hate is also the thing that like about Houston, it is the weather here. I have lived in CO and NY and prefer warmer weather to the snow and freezing weather conditions. I appreciate Houston a lot and I am thankful to live here in this town. By the way, my Hubby is a Native Texan and that is all the more reason for me to love TX. My home is where my Hubby is~:thumbsup