What is the best way to lighten deepam in Western Countries???

Discussion in 'Queries on Religion & Spirituality' started by vandanasrinivas, Mar 2, 2014.

1. vandanasrinivas

vandanasrinivas Silver IL'ite

Hii friends..

i don't know whether dis topic is already discussed earlier or not..
    But i am facing dis issue from long time..

If we are in india we can light deepam and i never seen it producing black marks above d wall..
    But now i was in Uk and from past six months i am facing dis trouble..every week i use to clean doors and windows etc..but ceiling and all became little dark..when we r vacating tht property we invested lot of money to remove those black marks and all..

we shifted to new house and i am dead scared to light deepam..but since my childhood we have a habit of lighting deepam near god ideals..i am feeling very low without lighting..i tried on shiva ratri day..but my husband is also scared bcoz we saw the effects..i don't now where is d problem??
    i tried cooking oil,cow ghee etc..both r same result...some spiderwebs r spreading..

i was thinking to buy small candles etc..but don't know whether we can light near our gods..

please help me..

Thanks..
    Vandana

2. cinderella06

cinderella06 Platinum IL'ite

Hi vandana, the best way to avoid black mark is, slick a sliver foil sheet above the place where you are lighting the lamp.you can also use the sliver foil sheet in the place where you keep agarbathie.

3 people like this.
  3. Saisakthi

Saisakthi IL Hall of Fame

:welcome Sister Vandhanasrinivas to IL family

I guess through your post that you are using Thread wicks which burns quite high and blackening the wall and ceiling surface (may be the shelf) IMO you should be using cotton wicks which will not burn so high, and also

Keep the flame less, the wick thin.

Never have fans/air circulated in the area of Pooja Mandhir (at least for the time your Lamp is lit)

As I have visualized from your post, I have mentioned what I feel, if you add more about the type of the lamp, the wick used, the duration of the lamp burning, oil used, I can understand the scenario better, will try to help

Yes it not the Western Country, anywhere for that matter it is not advisable to have the Black soothening the adjacent wall. It not only makes the place shabby, involves cleaning (time/Money) the main thing it is not divine too.

May Baba guide you always, SAIRAM

2 people like this.
  4. indoc

indoc Gold IL'ite

Silver foil is the best option.. else you can try good old "oil lamps"

5. vibha_81

vibha_81 Gold IL'ite

if you are not very strict about it being a deepam only, I would suggest using white tea lights..I use them and they are extremely safe...no blackening and it is still a flame which i think is all that matters

2 people like this.
  6. Sonvi

Sonvi Silver IL'ite

I had the exact same problem as you so totally understand where u coming from, my mil was advised by a priest that instead of using cotton wool use the holy red mauli Dhaga...use a brass diya lamp with the stick in the middle and the stick should have a hole where u can insert the mauli. (Am not sure what they are called but easily available in Leicester ) My mum also does this and leave the diya lighting for a long time without the problem of the blackening of walls. Hope this helps

1 person likes this.
  7. vandanasrinivas

vandanasrinivas Silver IL'ite

Thnaqq each and everyone for ur advises..i am placing deepam in the corner of study room..soo there is no shelf..
    is i need to cover roof with silver foil??and i am using brass deepam..here i am attaching pic..

Thanqq again..waiting for more responses

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  8. Saisakthi

Saisakthi IL Hall of Fame

Sister VandanaSrinivas,

I am also using this lamp at one of the shelf where I have a statue of Lord Kubera, except that it also has a base while yours looks circular bottomed.

I still feel your wick is the problem, please check my thread above, as my lamp has never got blackened itself or on the wall.

May Baba guide you always. SAIRAM

9. shilpad

shilpad New IL'ite

sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

10. kanaka Raghavan

kanaka Raghavan IL Hall of Fame

Do you get lanterns in your place?You can keep this inside that,so that it would be neatly covered.A lantern with couple of openings and door with latch to keep the lamp inside.In India we get such glass lanterns to keep lamps inside.