What is Karma-Yoga ?

Discussion in 'Chitvish on Hindu Culture & Vedanta' started by Chitvish, Mar 1, 2007.

1. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear Radha,
    Thankyou very much for your F B.
    I like when you say that you are glued to abstract topics. I too do that & I find it a challenge to understand them (whether we accept & follow them is not the point here !). It sharpens our intellectual approach, if not anything else.
    Your second paragraph is cent percent right !
    Love,
    Chithra.

2. Chitvish

Dear Jothi,
    Thankyou very much for the feedback. I thank Meena for her participation, which has helped others understand better.
    As much as accepting the fruits of our consequences, let us discover the joy of performing the work for itself. The pleasure of doing it enjoyably decreases, when only the goal is the fruit !
    Love,
    Chithra.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2007
  3. Chitvish

Dear Kamla,
    I am relieved that you joined us in this thread. Knowing your skeptical thoughts, I almost decided you will run a mile away !
    However difficult the little world around us makes things for us, let us discover a joy in performing the work for itself.
    Kamla, let me give you a personal example in my own life !
    V is one person who is never appreciative, rather openly or verbally, of the food I cook everyday. He has never, not once, drooled over even the best dishes, that really turn out well. I used to get so depressed, upset etc - I went through all those stages. Then I thought, why wait for his comments at all which are not going to come ? I just started enjoying cooking as a creative & enjoyable art like anyother art. Now, irrespective of whether he comments or not, I derive immense pleasure when I do the cooking with utmost interest that it should be the best, I can dish out. I have realised that there is joy in doing an inspired activity.
    This, I am mentioning more as an example - I am yet many births away from a karma yogi !
    Now tell me, all friends, if these topics sound abstract & difficult to grasp, shall I leave them out from discussing here ? I do not want you all to lose interest that it is very dry. Please feel free to give me your frank opinions. I need them to continue this culture thread at al all !
    Love,
    Chithra.

4. Tamildownunder

Tamildownunder Bronze IL'ite

Nice article and very useful information. I would like to add the value of food system and here the virtues of being vegetarian is very essential to practice this karma-Yoga.

5. Chitvish

Hello Tamildownunder,
    Thankyou very much for your F B.
    Your latter sentence emphasises, I think, that one's satvic nature will increase by eating vegetarian food.
    Love,
    Chithra.

6. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

What a paradox! You are celebrated here for your cooking expertise and in your own home, no comments!?!
    Skeptical or not, I am still open minded and am inviting all thoughts and experiences and hope to learn and derive something out of it and win peace for my own self. Still learning! Hence, it would a great deprivation if you would stop writing about these things and giving your insight to it. Remember, I am thirsting for such knowledge and understanding and you are doing me a great favor by bringing all this to IL.
    Please, do not underestimate your posts.

L, Kamla

7. meenaprakash

meenaprakash Silver IL'ite

So, Chitra, you wanted to know if we need these threads at all???
    yuor question sounds very abstract to me now.

Of course, we want you to bring such topics and feed our hungry brain. I've just started equating karma yogi & Me and wondering where I stand. (nowhere near, Chitra. :cry: looks like I surely need to cross tooo many donkey's yrs to start thinking in those lines......)

We are all in diff stages of our lilfe and depending on our experience we might have diff thoughts but that doesn't mean we wouldn't be interested or we wouldn't understand such heavy subject. It's alwasy good to know such subject - the so called eternal truths of life.

Got it Madam??? Don't even get such doubts any time........
    ( Now, Chitra, why don't you point some more chocolate guns at me??? really feel like eating chocolates now... let me check Deepu's table, she might have some..... that's it for Karma Yogi))))))))

Love,

8. Chitvish

Dear Meena,
    You are returning back to me in the same coin - I welcome it !
    You must have judged by now - though I put you that question, I am not one to give up easily !!!
    I have started writing introductory articles on the Gita already. Just in that part, I become a K Y - I enjoy immensely writing them. Now that you have made it clear, I no more bother, how far you will all welcome it, leave alone enjoy it!!!
    Thankyou, Meena.
    Love,
    Chithra.

9. Priya Amarnath

Priya Amarnath Bronze IL'ite

My dear Chithra

I enjoyed the article about Karma Yoga. You have given a beautiful explanation for a difficult subject. I understood that attaining Karma yogam is not that simple, it will need more and more janmas. Reading such nice topics makes my mind light and calm. Awaiting for next week's posting.

Love and regards
    Priya

10. Chitvish

Dear Priya,
    Thankyou very much for the feedback.
    Eventhough we will need ,many janmas, we should try to make a beginning to the extent possible.
    May be, I will post a lighter topic next week ! I prefer to alternate, Priya.
    Love,
    Chithra.