1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

What Is A Good Age To Start Waxing Kids Underarms?

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by gamma50g, Jul 26, 2023.

1. gamma50g

gamma50g Gold IL'ite

My 10 year old is very conscious about her underarm hair. What is the right age to start waxing (just the underams)?

2. SuiDhaaga

SuiDhaaga IL Hall of Fame

Please do it now.

Don’t make your daughter feel any worse

Believe me, please do it now

gamma50g likes this.
  3. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

I started waxing at 15. I had to wait that long because my mom was opposed to parlor visits and it was only when we moved to Mumbai that I managed to convince her. But she allowed me to use that smelly Annie French cream as soon as it was necessary so I could wear sleeveless whenever I wanted to.
    Underarm waxing can be painful, so prepare your daughter for that. A women’s razor is also an option. You can help her.

gamma50g likes this.
  4. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Let her decide with your guidance. Keep your opinions and concerns aside and talk with her about it. Try to find out in what way is she conscious about it. First among friends to have noticeable hair? Friends commented? Don't push to get all answers in one conversation.

You can talk about the hair removal options, the pros and cons of each. Keep the tone casual. As my kid would say "Amma, don't make a project out of it."

From a practical perspective, nudge her towards a method that she can do independently soon. I'd suggest shaving. Waxing at parlor needs appointment, costs money and if you go to the nearby one the local aunties will be there. Waxing at home is another drama in itself. And, there is the eternal problem of the hair needs to be at least 1/4 inch or something long to wax.

Sooner or later, she will turn to shaving, might as well start it soon.

To actually answer your question : ) the good age to start waxing is when the hair starts to bothers the child or makes the child conscious about it. But always let the child decide. Don't say not yet if she wants to remove the hair, and don't push her to start if she is not ready.

gamma50g and Thyagarajan like this.
  5. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan Finest Post Winner

In life , as I understood - there is a favourable moment or auspicious time or season and one needs to consult almanac.
    For example to offer the tonsure to tutelary deity in a temple ( like Thirupathi swami malai) for the baby, orthodox Hindus look for auspicious day and time. Maiden attempt of any 'activity' is always akin to a celebration a la anna prasannam, writing the alphabet in flattened raw rice on platter ( vijayadasami day), coming of age, attaining puberty, baby shower so on and so forth.

By the way, I understand hair donated in tonnes by way of tonsure by devotees earn substantial foreign exchange sold by way of public auction by TIRUPATHI DEVASTHANAMS.:blush::innocent:

Last edited: Jul 27, 2023