1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

What if the mortal remains of a person becomes more controversial than the man itself

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by kanaka, Jan 16, 2008.

1. kanaka

kanaka Bronze IL'ite

I remember having read about Nehru's wish- let my ashes bescattered all over- --- - let my - - - -be a part of Indain soil-- -- - -.Fine.

Then O.V Vijayan, one of our leading cartoonists and one of the best Indian writers in English and Malayalam , few years before his death made a comment" What does it matter who and where the ash is being thrown. To me it is a very insignificant thing. Only Nehru considered his ashes holier than anybody else". But poor Vijayan never knew what was stored for him? His ashes are under dispute. The matter is in the Supreme Court. The question is who has the authority to dispose of the mortal remains of Viayan. Vijayan Sir, are you aware of your fate?

Again today I read about a part of Gandhiji,s ashes will be immersed on Jan30 2008.
    Here too there was a problem. I think the Trust wanted to have the sole right or other alternate suggestion was it should be kept in the Mueseum. Finally I think the Gandhi family, I mean M.K.Gandhi clan would perform those rites!

How does the mortal remains become so precious when at times the person in question gained no human recognition when alive. I think it is nothing other than human hypocricy! I don't mean to say Gandhi or Nehru or Vijayan are insignificant.
    Pl. do let me know whether my postings are liked by our memebers. Iam open for constructive criticism and discussion. That makes me write something. Wishing all "Pongal Vazhuthhukkal". kanaka:idea:idea:idea:idea

2. Malathijagan

Malathijagan Silver IL'ite

Re: What if the mortal remains of a person becomes more controversial than the man it

Hello Kanaka,
    As you rightly said in the title, "the mortal remains of a person becomes more controversial than the man himself!" Why talk about the famous people, even in the common households, this is true. Have we not come across people fighting over the dead body for various reasons including property, right over the deceased etc.? In a country that boasts of a rich cultural heritage, these are all a curse. As long as every individual decides to change for the better nothing can be done.There is no point blaming society for everything. After all it is individuals that make up society.
    But the sad thing is that these poor souls are dragged into the news even after their death! The controversy of Subash Chandra Bose still persists.

3. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Re: What if the mortal remains of a person becomes more controversial than the man it

Hi kanaka,

Good one....it is not just in the recent past, present...mythology shows that the mortal remains of dakshayani was a problem with shiva dancing in front of it without giving it due rituals...the story goes that vishnu used his chakra and cut the parts into 51 pieces which fell in various parts of bharat kanda.... though there is one story in north that with his anger at the helm, shiva carried the body all over the bharat kanda...wherein the parts started disintegrating and falls at different places...whatever the remains was an issue there also..

As malathy has said, subash chandra bose remains are again a controversy....

The death of kanshi ram, and the fight over the remains was a great entertainer on news channels throughout that session....There are lot of cases, where for property disputes and rivalry, there have been lot of controversies...

In a land of democracy, there is no dearth for controversy...why should we leave death alone....

On the funny side..i would like to mention a discussion between me and FIL, once he asked me will you all do all that is due (that is the 13 days) when I go...I said when you are gone, why are you bothered what i do...he said he will be watching if we are shedding tears or not or doing all the rituals...shakeheadshakehead
    i told him, what i do for you when you are live and kicking is more important than when you are gone....

4. srinivasan_vanaja

srinivasan_vanaja Gold IL'ite

hi kanaka,

indeed thoughtful post.

every problem, every wound, every realization, every love, every friendship, every achievement - is solved, healed, realized, accomplished, understood, made during its own course of time.

time is the only solution for any type of achievement or realization.

Mahatma Gandhi was not understood by people during his period of living. all his achievements were realized as the days went on. and at this point of time we have only his mortal remains as our treasure to adore or honour him.

the true fact is - a person cannot be liked by everybody, let him be a great leader, politician, actor or musician. only their achievements make them live ever after their death. these achievements are not realized by people at once. they do a lot of study, experience, take their own time to realize.

5. kanaka

kanaka Bronze IL'ite

Dear Malathy, Shenvi and Vanaja and ur cute veena

Thanks for the response.
    Shanti, my mother says "once I die who cares if the body lies facing North or South. When u mentioned about ur FIL I just remembered what my mother says. I had a hearty laugh reading ur reply to ur FIL.

Can I go slightly off the topic and say something. I don't think world would have taken Gandhi so seriously had he a natural death. He would have been criticised more heavily than he deserves.

The movie 'Gandhi my Father' made me a bit confused. I didn't know whom to sympathise. There he is just an ordinary person failing in many things, trying to be egoistic. May be it is much easier to become a father of the nation than father to one's own children.(ln lighter vein). Would he behave the same way had he one or two daughters? (laugh) kanaka:coffee:coffee:coffee:coffee

Last edited: Jan 18, 2008
  6. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Kanaka,

wonderful blog.Yes how does uit matter what happens to our ashes.This is all politics.the man is gone and dead.

I always wonder when i go to a crematorium, when they put the heavy logs on the body.I feel sorry for the dead person.If u put an alive person on the pyre, the weight of the wood itself will break all his or her bones, forget the fire.After u are dead,nothing matters really,we feel nopain no heat from the fire.The clothes are distributed to the poor of the dead person,so why bother over the ashes.

Well written.Regards.kamal

7. roopadadia

roopadadia Silver IL'ite

Dear Kanaka,

A very interesting topic.

As Malathi has mentioned this happens in every other household. Wehn alive the soul dosen't get due respect...but after death we find children & relatives fighting over these issues to show the public how much they care.

Shan, your reply to your FIL reminded me of my talks with my buaji over 2 decades ago...she used to insist that all the DIL should cover their head as a mark of respect...so i used to argue with her that you want them to respect the 2 of you from the bottom of their hearts or by way of covering their head and then they grumbling behind your back as sometimes it is very inconvenient to do the house work by keeping your head covered with a saree pallu.

My mom says donate my body to a hospital so they can ustilise it...i say the same and my FIL was also saying don't do anything behind me from next day you all are back to normal, no mourning.

Roopa.

8. kanaka

kanaka Bronze IL'ite

dear Roopadadia,

I will behave the same way as ur FIL said. If we keep doing our duty and keep the conscience absolutely clear there is no need to grive. Moral strength is the way to mental strength. I may toe the line regarding the rituals as long as it is reasonable. I have done this when my father expired. So it is not sermon. Few days before he could expire 3of us(Husband, daughter,and me had met my father). For the first time all 3 went to my place. While leaving my father bid good-bye with folded hands and with a smile. I returned the same. Within few weeks he expired. After his death I told my sister to complete all the formalities for the disposal of the mortal remains and not to wait for me. I was labelled a cruel person by my relatives . To date I don't care that remark. I preferred to remember my father with his folding hands. Till today i feel happy as i try to recollect that day.
    what i mean is I preferre to do my duty rather than cry " I should have done this -- -- -that. Trust me. I haven't bluffed. kanaka:idea:idea:idea:idea

9. kanaka

kanaka Bronze IL'ite

Sir,

thanks for the response. But I don't think the blog was beautiful. I know you have given this compliments just to encourage. I blog with Sulekha. Not much. specially with their beta version. kanakabonkbonkbonk