1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

What gift do you take while visiting friends/relatives house for dinner?

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by SupriyaDinesh, Mar 15, 2011.

1. SupriyaDinesh

SupriyaDinesh Silver IL'ite

Hi,
    As asked in the title what do you usually take to the guest's house?fruits or nute or toys for kids...?I am always in a dilemma.sometime few gifts may be repetetive or may not like it.Share your ideas.

TIA..

2. Coffeelover

Coffeelover Platinum IL'ite

Normally I take flowers to their houses. If I know them well, then I may make cake or some sweet dishes. Books will be good for the children. If they are newly married, I take cook books.

Have a wonderful time.

3. SriVidya75

SriVidya75 Platinum IL'ite

Might be some flowers and a dessert!!! usually if someone invites us for dinner, I would tell them I would bring the dessert.....If its a special occassion and they are ordering food and its a big gathering....then flowers and a cake ( just as CL mentioned above)...

other gifts might be family games kit...like poker or bingo or pictionary etc...something that everyone can use when we meet next time :)

sindmani likes this.
  4. AbhiSing

AbhiSing Gold IL'ite

Fruits, Mixed Nuts, Chocolates. If for very close friends' I will cook some dish they liked at my house(Polis, Vadai, etc)

5. babyhopes

babyhopes Bronze IL'ite

I am good in photoshop so i will make a picture frame with their pics and will give them..(if we are visiting occasionally)

Apart from that home made sweet varieties,toys,fruits.......

6. jencym

jencym New IL'ite

Supriya
    Hope you remember me. I will always have this dilemma when ever i have to visit friends. I'll usually bake some cake, cookies or prepare some sweet from Chituma's collection.

7. shree

shree Silver IL'ite

hi,

i generally take some home made sweet with me. if kids r there then some books or dress for them. if there is no option some fruits.

8. SupriyaDinesh

SupriyaDinesh Silver IL'ite

Cl,Srividhya,Shree,vijee,Baby hopes, you have given good ideas.Thanks.

I took homemade sweet to a recent dinner.Every one must be health conscious.Only few spoons were consumed.Such a bummer.now i have no inclination to prepare and waste.

Jency,of course remember you.Do send message in FB.
    Fruits,nuts are very good idea and i would like to implement.what if they dont like that fruit and nut?can i ask them beforehand?

Last edited: Mar 16, 2011
  9. jencym

jencym New IL'ite

Wow such a health conscious family. Recently we went to our friends house (she is pregnant) so i made 7 cups burfi, Plum cake and Apple halwa(Chithu ma's Recipe). They liked everything.

Nothin like home made sweets, tht too in US :cheers. Dont get disappointed with just a family not liking sweets. I still remember ur mom's Bread halwa and yummy kesari:thumbsup.

10. babycorn

babycorn Silver IL'ite

I have this dilemma all the time.I have taken biscuits for kids and fruits for adults.I saw my fruits in a pathetic condition,the next time I visited them.It was not opened at all.

Homemade sweets is a good idea.I need to implement that too:cheers