1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

What does this ritual have to do with marriage?

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by ansh12, Mar 22, 2010.

1. ansh12

ansh12 Bronze IL'ite

Hi all

I read an interesting article in "The Times of India" and I can't disagree with it, as I myself feel that some of the rituals performed pre, during and post marriage are very derogatory to the woman. They are essential skewed in favour of male thereby reinforcing the view that male is superior.

I would like to know your views on this article and look forward to a fruitful discussion

Regards
    Ansh

2. gjaya

gjaya Silver IL'ite

Dear Ansh,

Is that for real? I mean seriously is there such a ritual....my god I really can't believe this thing. :bonk

Sorry if it offends anyone but this is sheer nonsense done in the name of ritual. Kudos to the girl who called off the wedding.

You are so right in telling that most of the rituals if not all of them are in favor of the male...Why????

It is a sad fact though that we have to follow all this rituals for the sake of tradition or that it has been followed for generations. Some changes are happening and it is good to know that women are now generally standing up. I have heard cases where the girl's side has called off the wedding because of dowry demands etc. So it is a good thing but we still have a long way to go.

Jaya

3. Coffeelover

Coffeelover Platinum IL'ite

Please let me know where I can find this article. I googled it, was not successful in finding it.

Good day.:coffee

4. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

I too read that article and felt shock. Most of the rituals are done to please the male ego, but this is the limit. The girl was bold and truly so. I don't blame the parents of the boy, may be they are culture oriented. But a boy who is educated abroad and seen the world also insists on such meaningless and degrading rituals, then someone should take initiative to stop all these. Hats off to that girl!
    I shun most of the rituals in our Hindu marriages. These were all done in times when the times were different. In today's scene, they don't have any meaning.
    People should understand this and try to stop such practises.

5. Priya_Mommy

Priya_Mommy Gold IL'ite

OMG, this is just rediculous. The lady has taken a right decision at right time.

6. chocolate

chocolate Platinum IL'ite

Are these people for real? I cant believe it and feel the girl did the right thing. Call about making themselves feeling royal in such a demeaning way.

7. kinjal

kinjal Bronze IL'ite

as time changes wedding rituals should also change. Or best to go for court wedding and skip all rituals.

I even hate the concept of kanyadanam. Do you think gals are like any other comodities that parent can donate it to guys.

8. Malavika81

Malavika81 Bronze IL'ite

It is good to know there are women in India who started questioning the rationality of idiotic wedding rituals that are demeaning to the women in today's context. Many of these blind rituals need to be questioned and cast off from the society.

9. vimala1957

vimala1957 Bronze IL'ite

Well said kinjal, Girls have been projected as properties or commodities in scriptures and treated like that from time unknown. What do they mean by donating a human being?, but you know girls are either animals like they say " a girl is like a cow, tie it to any pole and she will lead a full life tied to it", or they are things that can be donated by her own parents and this Kanya-daanam elevates their Puniyam.
    And the same people who believe so much in kanya daanam, treat their dils like slaves or servants. You can not find a better example of double satandards.

10. Gayathri47

Gayathri47 Silver IL'ite

:eek:mg:She did the right thing.. Some of the rituals really are ridiculor and to have thought that weel educated men still follow, rather believe in these ways!