1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

What do you do when you toddler mess the house with toys??

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by Swethasri, Jul 28, 2014.

1. sonalpallavi

sonalpallavi Bronze IL'ite

Hi Swethasri,
    I feel its right on your part to try inculcating in your toddler the habit of putting things back to place after use. I have a 2 year old DS and I have also started teaching him to put his toys back to their home though its at the end of day only. I ask him to help mumma, I stand near the shelf and point one by one to each toy on the floor,he brings it to me and I keep it back on the shelf. Sometimes , to motivate him or make it playful, I ask him by colours like bring all red frogs, all yellow aeroplanes..and sometimes I need to pick along with him. I don't force him anytime, sometimes when he is totally not in mood, I do it for him.

1 person likes this.
  2. Swethasri

Swethasri Platinum IL'ite

Ok friends, I dont want to be adamant after all of your suggestions. I put back his toy chest back in his room. Now he is sleeping and wanted to see his reaction. once he wakes up, its just in front his eyes. Thanks for taking your time and importance of all toys must in reachable to kids for their development.

Thanks again!

3. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

My daughters always wanted all their toys to play....They often had them all in their bed too and would cover them up with sheet when they took a nap.I made them put is all in the baskets....no orderly arranging of toys . I am a messy person...now my daughters are messy teenagers.

One of my close relatives has OCd and she makes her children take out only one toy and the toy has to be put back at the same place in the exact same angle other wise her children have had it from her. The children spend more time worrying about mommy's reaction than playing.They are already borderline into obsessing.

Both these play styles are wrong .A middle way has to be found where the the children can enjoy and learn age appropriate responsibility.

1 person likes this.
  4. Priya4oct

Priya4oct Gold IL'ite

My daughter is Messy too..we have one small room in apartment (it's I/2 BR) and we named that as Toy room. She go and play there and some times bring her toys too other rooms. Cleaning is completely on her mood ..some times she will do her self (will sing it's clean up time, Mamma daddy Nitya it's clean-up time) and some time I do. Her cleaning means, picking toys from other room and throwing in her toy room. Playdoh set is only one which she put on place and playdoh bag without any miss.

My daughter also take her some toys and make them sleep with her , so I have to take them out when she is in deep sleep .

For cleaning routine - I clean all messes done by her and (her friend that is my DH), every night after dinner. We arrange toy room on weekends only .

1 person likes this.
  5. breeze01

breeze01 Platinum IL'ite

not only moms but also kids have their mood my son too clean up at time when I tell him to clean up but sometimes doesn't matter how many times I tell he don't do it I get fed up and clean them up by myself eventhou it will be end of the day.sometimes I say I will help him then he will start doing it...I get so tired sometimes I just leave the toys where they are for the next morning I clean up first thing then..

let me know if there is rhyme as clean up clean up song.. oh my god there is a clean up song I need to let him listen to this hahahah....

Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  6. Swethasri

My DS is very happy as soon as he opened his eyes and asked me"did you put all my toys back in my room?" I said yes and asked him are you happy to see your toy chest and he replied by nodding his head with a smile.

YM I agree with you regarding the 2 point, that is too much. What I am expecting from my little one is not throw his small pieces of toys when he gets too excited and if he throw then I ask him to collect all of them and put it back. And also I dont want him to to be a messy person becoz I am not. Now he puts his wooden block which is 100 peices in one corner, all his cars and bikes in middle of the living room, his tools set is in one corner.

1 person likes this.
  7. Swethasri

Priya, good to know that she is doing something. Its always me who do the clean up sometimes I will bribe him with his favorite TV shows which works very rarely.

8. Swethasri

Breeze, same here its all depends on the moods. Sometimes my DS bring all the utensils from the kitchen too. During my very tired days I just sweep all the toys in the toys room and vaccum the living room.

1 person likes this.
  9. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

You can help out by giving him different coloured baskets or bins to keep stuff. Little cars can go in one.100 piece puzzle can go in another....

1 person likes this.
  10. Swethasri

Will definitely try that. But today after all the toys around the house , he brought the mega blocks bag. I was just snatched from him and request him to clean all the other toys in their respective bags and to my surprise he did it and playing with the mega blocks happily.

1 person likes this.