1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

What Diwali-Gift Can An Accountant Give You? How About A Love Scene?

Discussion in 'Saturdays with Varalotti' started by varalotti, Oct 25, 2008.

1. meenakshirajan

meenakshirajan Silver IL'ite

Hello Sridhar, So nice of you for such an encouraging words. oh, 'writing more FBs , starting a thread,getting a FB from you' these thought itself make me feel happy. Looking forward for that day.Thanks for encouraging me. Writing these 2 lines itself is definitely because of Lalitha's inspiration.

Meenakshi

2. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

Dear Meenakshi,
    See, there's already some progress. You have advanced from four words to four lines. And from four lines to four pages.. it's not very far. Looking forward to that day.
    sridhar

3. mithila kannan

mithila kannan Gold IL'ite

Dear Sridhar,
    When I read the title Love Scene,I thought that you have depicted a beautiful,heart rending love scene.But I started reading your post and I was overwhelmed with nostalgic memories of learning Kamba Ramayanam,pure joy and your wonderful style of writing that does justice to one of the greatest ,most poignant scenes in Kamba Ramayanam.

Bharatan, our Lord’s brother, and the man whom Kamban says is fit enough to be worshipped by Brahma himself and all the Devas, that kind man, that loving soul, forgetting for a moment that he is the King of a mighty empire, falls like an uprooted tree at Guhan’s feet.

I could visualise the scene,emotion filled scene and you have depicted it so well.
    In Valmiki’s version Rama is projected only as a man. But right from the very first verse Kambar projects Rama as God, Lord Mahavishnu. But in spite of that he now says through Guhan, that even that great Lord Mahavishnu, not one, a thousand Mahavishnus cannot be equal to one Bharathan and his love.<?XML:NAMESPACE PREFIX = O />

We are taught and we mindlessly repeat like a parrot every now and then that God is Love. Next time when we say those words, let's remember this love scene. Words will come with greater conviction

I njoyed reading these lines.
    My dear Sridhar,when I was a school going kid,I used to accompany my mother to the Ramayanam and mahabharatham lectures rended out by Sri Sengalipuram Anantharama Dikshidhar.I became a fan of his.I was reminded of one such session when I read this post.
    Very grateful to you for that wonderful Diwali gift.
    How nice it would be Sridhar if only you will share with us more such episodes from Ramayanam.
    One never tires of listening to Ramayanam.
    love
    mythili

4. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sridhar,
    Bharathiyar had praised in his kavithai that he had not seen any poet in any language equal to Kamban, ILango and VaLLUvan. How true! When I was very young RasikamaNi Chidambaranar wrote in Ananda Vikatan a serial named " Kambar Tharum Kaatchi" I was too young to relish the literaure. But later when I had a portion of "Vaali Vathai Patalam" of Kamba Ramayanam I really enjoyed it. Perhaps I will share it some time later with Ilites.
    Thanks for sharing your experienec of the great epic,
    Love,
    PS

5. varalotti

Dear Mythili,
    Now this thread has received the greatest blessing - of being visited by you.
    This scene has been haunting me for years. I would have bored my family circle a million times by repeating this scene. And then on the Diwali eve, I decided to wrap it once again and gift it to all the wonderful ladies of the site.

The underlines lines you have written are the ones I enjoyed writing, are the ones I cried while I wrote them. Happy to see they moved you as well.

I still have a few more scenes up my sleeve and will share with you all in the days to come.

Incidentally Sengalipuram Anantharama Dikshathar is my favourite too. He was a close friend of my adoptive father. He had come to our house for a week's discourse on Ramayana - called as Sapthaham. At that tiime the great upanyasakar Shivananda Vijayalakshmi was a 12 year old girl. She used to give discourses within her family circles. And during Sengalipuram's visit, her arangetram as a Harikatha exponent happened in our house.

I love Deekshathar talking about Narayaneeyam and Ramayana. Especiallly the sloka he used to chant at every meeting "kalyaana roopaya kalau jananaam, kalyana dhatre karunashu dhapte..."

When I was a child I did not miss any of his discourses in Madurai. The only shortcoming he had was "narasthuthi". When somebody known to him comes to his discourse he will even stop the discourse to praise the person sky high.

When he died he left a void which could not be filled up even now.

thanks for your visit, your loving fb and your kind words.
    love,
    sridhar

6. varalotti

Dear Pushpavalli,
    Yes, Bharathiyar's praise about Kamban, Ilango and Valluvan was right. I first thought that Bharathi was biased towards his own mother tongue. But it was not so. Only now, after tasting some of the world-class poets, I do appreciate the truth in Bharatiyar's words.
    I have heard of TKC's serial in Vikatan. Later there was another serial "Chithra Ramayanam" I think by Pi.Sri. The drawings were superlative. My aunt had the pages torn up from each issue and bound those volumes. Fortunately I could lay my hands on one such volume and that inspired me to read a few portions of Kambar.
    Looking forward to read your Vali Vathai Padalam here in IL.
    Thanks once again for the loving fb, Pushpavalli.
    love,
    sridhar

7. mithila kannan

Dear sridhar,
    Now I know the secret of the very fluent flow of your thoughts and the masterly way in which you present your thoughts.Ialso have understood how you are able to touch our hearts when you talk about the greatest Truth of our lives,God ,we call that super power by different names,you have had a wonderful upbringing.I can almost visualise you as a young boy sitting in the big hall of your house and drinking in the words of the great upanyasakas who visited your house.You are a blessed soul.

In my case,we lived in Triplicane.My mother was an intellectual,though she never attended school.We both would go to Dhavana Utsava Bjmngalw the sprawling house at the back of the house was a huge ground and Sri Sengalipuram's upanyasam took place there.Sometimes the discourse woud continue a month also,every evening.
    I loved his voice,they say Amitabh Bachchan has a great voice,but these men are not a patch on Sengalipuram.What a mesmerising voice!
    SrimathiM.S Amma,Kaki Sadasivam,Rajaji used to come regularly.As you rightly said I remember him praising them in the middle of the discourse.Rgey said taht he even used to glorify certain products and took money for that.
    Anyhow Iam waiting to read more of Kambhar from you.

May God bless you.
    love
    mythili

8. varalotti

My Dear Daughters, GFs and Friends,

On the Diwali day as others were busy celebrating, SHE gifted me a miraculous escape from near-disaster.

I did not want to tell that to you till now because I know many of you will be really concerned. Then after thinking about that for a long time, I thought that I would better share that with you, as I am afraid, it may have some learnings, albeit in a negative way.

Steel your heart and read the post. Don't forget to let me know what do you think about it.

love,
    sridhar

9. varalotti

Dear Mythili,
    I view it like this. God thought that I as a student in life required some special attention. As we employ the best teachers to coach a weak student, my Lord sent me these people to me to make a valiant attempt to redeem me.
    I remember Prathivathi Bayankaram Annangaracharya Swamikal visiting our house when I was doing my 9th standard. I knew he should be a great man for all the VIPs of Madurai were there in our house. And we went to Srivilliputhur in a convoy of cars for the Mahasamprokhshanam of the temple.
    When I was not old enough to understand the scholar's greatness, why should God send him to my place? I have been wondering for a good 40 years.
    And got the answer this July 2008. When I approached a learned scholar to study Thiruvaimozhi Vyakyaanam he told me that he would accept me as a student only if he was satisfied about my earnestness.
    How could I prove that to him. I was dying to learn what he had to teach. But how could I communicate that to him?
    Then I told him about my adoptive father. The moment he heard the name VSR (Varalotti Srinivasa Rengasamy Iyengar) he almost jumped from his seat.
    "Sridhar, I know Swamikal (PB) has visited your house. That is proof enough for me of your earnestness. We can start the classes from this Sunday."
    I fell at his feet to express my thanks.

God has HIS own ways, Mythili. In some cases like this one it takes forty years to understand the purpose of his actions.
    love,
    sridhar

10. mithila kannan

My dear Sridhar,
    Iam not the crying type.But even when I write this reply Iam becoming emotional.You are not only a legend,you are not only a great writer,You are a wonderful human being,You are a humble person capable of loving every one with the same love and affection.Iam very lucky to know you,very lucky to interact with you.
    Your simplicity and your humility and your willingness to keep learning should take you to further heights.
    love
    mythili

Last edited: Nov 2, 2008