1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

What Diwali-Gift Can An Accountant Give You? How About A Love Scene?

Discussion in 'Saturdays with Varalotti' started by varalotti, Oct 25, 2008.

1. imemyself

imemyself Senior IL'ite

Dear Sridhar,
    I happened to see this Diwali Treasure today. Though late...I am happy that I was lucky enough to see this!
    Yes, I know the epicentre behind Mahabaratha and Ramayana, the two great Indian Epic. But the details in depth, I really dont know!
    And when i read your Diwali treasure - thread. Oh my God! I was so overwhelmed and flooded by the love that was depicted in that scene.
    I wish I could read the entire epic in such a lovely writing where the reader is soaked in the scene.
    Thanks Sridhar, That was indeed a valuable treasure.

2. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

Most Welcome, Sis!

3. varalotti

My Dear DD,

I think I have been working way too much for my strength and skills. Otherwise how could I have omitted your post! You know DD, after reading Fragrance, after reading your great post here in this thread, your name was so full in my heart that I addressed Soaring Spirit as Dear Oviya, when I announced that the translation is ready.

Now that we are on this, Oviya, tell me how did you get the basic idea for "Fragrance"? After having said enough about it in your thread as well as in FP thread, I am still not satisfied. That's all-time best from you Oviya. Posts like that will stand the test of time.

From now on have the practice of writing a post at least every other week.

Thanks once again for the kind words. And apologies for not responding to your post earlier.
    love,
    Your SriPa

4. varalotti

Thanks Malathi. This is one of the most poignant scenes I enjoyed in Kambar. I have also marked a few other scenes which I will be sharing with you all shortly.

You know what is the best return gift you can give to a donor? Well, a graceful acceptance of the gift and to communicate in no uncertain terms, that you are pretty happy about the gift.
    You have done that Malathy. And have given me a precious return gift.
    love,
    sridhar

5. Oviya

Oviya Silver IL'ite

My dear SriPa,

I can't thank you enough, ever, for such encouragement.

I just tried to tell the readers what I saw, in the same order of occurrence of the events. I left out a few unimportant things and focused on what I thought were significant in her life. My contribution is only the title and the emphasis.

I shall attempt to follow your advice of fortnightly posts.

I had said the following in my response to your FB to 'Fragrance'. When you read it, please, add 'apologise pannalaamaa?' after 'salute adikkalaamaa?'

Love,
    Your dear DD.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2008
  6. varalotti

No Meenakshi. For once you are wrong. Totally wrong. For you have all the talents. You see a good post and are able to recognise it as such. That's the talent and with that talent you can as well write a fb.
    Only thing is you are afraid. IL is one family. Should you be afraid while talking to your parents, brothers, sisters and all?
    Just go ahead and write fb. One day you will be opening your own thread. And do a great job at that. I will be the first person to respond to that thread and it will be my happiness to nominate for fp.
    Best of luck,
    sridhar

7. varalotti

Dear EQ,
    thanks for your kind wishes. Wish you the same. Ramayana and Mahabaratha are great epics. A person who knows them well can write any number of stories based on them.
    Our culture is so wonderfully designed that you hear the story outline when you are about five, six years old. You get to know a little more about the story in your teens. When you are married and have kids, you tend to analyse the characters. And later still you are able to appreciat the nuances in the story-telling. It is at this time you seek poets like Valmiki, Kambar and Thulasidass and know their great minds.

My suggestion to you, Aruna, is don't stop with watching it on the TV. There they pick and choose only the classy scenes. If you can read somebody like Kambar you will come to know his sense of humour even when Surpanaka comes into the scene - especially the beautiful verse
    panji olir...

thanks once again for the fb, Aruna.
    love,

8. varalotti

Dear Jaya,
    You are most welcome. And thanks for your kind words.

In 2001 when there was the dotcom bust there were many tragedies happening around software industry. A lady CEO who was in her 20s just like that died of shock. A computer centre franchisee I knew consumed sleeping pills and was fighting for his life.

I was affected more by these incidents than the dot-com bust. I wrote a middle in DH entitled Software and Softer Minds. I had boldly suggested that Ramayana and Mahabaratha should be made part of the syllabus for software engineers.

For if the lady had learnt her Ramayana well, if she had known that one day Rama was to be crowned as the King and on the very next day he was banished to the forest (Incidentally life in the forest will be far worse than life in the 'bench' as they say that in software industry) and during both days Rama's face was like a painted lotus (It was not compared to the real lotus because even that will waver when the water is moved by the breeze) she would not have died in shock.

Reading C++ and Java as part of core curriculum is like memorizing the operating manual for the wet grinder or the CD Player. That's not real education, for sure.
    It will be my endeavour to present touching scenes from Ramaya every now and then.
    Kambar is sure to melt our hearts.
    thanks Jaya for the kind fb.
    love,

9. varalotti

My Dear DD,
    Every writer starts with some inspired stories. But then somewhere down the line she stops.
    I have known many who started writing along with me. Most of them are far better writers. But they stopped midway.
    Once you are into writing, once you have written some inspirational pieces, you need to start writing "regularly". When we start first we have all the time in the world. We can wait for inspiration. But once you are into serious writing, deadlines and magazine publication dates won't wait for deadlines.
    But when you regularly write then you can somehow have inspiration at your command. That's the theory behind some periodical regular writing.

Well, DD, there is no rule which prevents a Dad from saluting his daughter or apologising to her.
    Did not Kumar physically salute Vidya when he saw the action replay of the Narasimha Avatar scene?
    Even more important is that when the Dad errs he has to apologise. A person who has erred has to apologise even if it is to his great grand daughter. That's the rule and even Dads are no exception to that.

love,
    Your SriPa

10. Oviya

Oviya Silver IL'ite

My Dear SriPa,

It indeed makes sense. I shall definitely attempt. I just started writing and getting the responses. This is what is the picture according to me, as of now. If I write continuously, you constitute to be a great inspiration behind that. Thanking you for the continuous guidance.

SriPa, I really don't need the apologies. But, again, as a child holding her father's hand going in the way shown by him, I go by your words.

Love,
    Your dear DD.