1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

What did you feed your kid today?

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by gayathriar, Jun 18, 2007.

1. rs18

rs18 Senior IL'ite

Hi All,

Mine is a toddler of 2 years & 6 months at her pre kg , she likes junk foods of all types especially , lays, kurkure etc, in an practice to stop all those health hazards i prepared some murukhu & seedai last weekends & the same got packed for her snacks mornings usually goes well with boost and idli .

Lunch was colourful lime rice with carrots in it along with bindhi fry which is my daughter's favorite.

For dinner i've planned to prepare Arisi sundal with coconut thugayal.

2. Dewdrop

Dewdrop Gold IL'ite

Hi Mummies ,
    My daughter has never ever been a problem eater -- whatever I feed / give, she will relish & eat . While a baby, I used to put some toys on her high chair & I would feed her singing rhymes, songs ; now she is 5+, so now rhymes have become bhajans, stories etc. No TV !! She enjoys when we all eat together ,as she feels grown up & simultaneously, we can teach them good table manners too. From her toddler age, I never encouraged carrying her in the hips & feeding, or running around the home behind her with a bowl of food.
    The only veg. she dislikes are capsicum / brinjal. First time I tried spinach [as poriyal]-- she spit it out ! From that day on, when i make it as poriyal for us, I make it as a kootu for her with dal & she enjoys it . Similarly, she prefers raw carrots as topping for dosas , but for adais she prefers only onion topping ! She cannot stand anything sweet, but anything given with a bowl of curd -- she will happily devour it . The only minor hassle :tongue with her is she cannot tolerate even a bit of chilly/pepper ; If i try & sneak in a red chilly in the chutney or a green chilly , grounded for the kurma , she will at once find out & need a big cup of curd to finish a tiny amount of the spicy food.

One important aspect, from personal experience is the portion size for kids. All kids like small sized stuff, like baby corn, baby carrots , tiny florets of broccoli etc. In our enthusiasm, if we mothers increase the size, they are immediately put off. A few spoons of a healthy item given regularly/weekly , is better & kids too tend not to make a fuss than trying to stuff a whole bowl of it, at any given meal time ! This is what my sis. in law did [ & still does :evil: ] to her son ... she used to heap his plate with rice, pour curd on top & put the poriyal also on it, mix & force him to eat ! The poor boy, detested rice -- though he relished tiffin items, vegs. etc. Only rice was ideal food according to her & now that boy is nearly 8 yrs. old , and mealtimes are still a battle . The whole flat will know it is lunch time, by hearing their shouting, screaming ...

And one more thing, if they are not hungry during regular meal times & are fussing.. just leave them ; it may be they need more activity . I've noticed that whenever my daughter was left to run around the house/ ride her tricycle / or do hopping race , frog race with her father, she would be ravenous after that & eat more than her usual amount, without any prodding whatsoever.
    The good thing to remember while trying to feed your kids is that it is just a stage -- which will pass with time. Don't be overly anxious about it, 'cos kids are smart & will act up more when they see our eagerness . Whatever he /she likes, give them more of it ; if they don't like any particular item, do not force it -- leave it for a week or two, then try it in another form.

I've shared some of my experiences [ which i remembered] ; now for what I gave her today; it being a holiday, she had breakfast with her daddy -- watermelon pieces, small adai topped with cheese/tomatoes [ indian pizza :mrgreen: !! ] with curd. For lunch, it was broccoli pulao, carrot raitha, potato cubes poriyal & some appalam. Evening snack I'm planning on spinach pakoda. Night will be small paniyarams with her favourite tomato/carrot chutney.

Love,
    Dew.

aratisajjan and Anitap like this.
  3. gayathriar

gayathriar Bronze IL'ite

Dear C

Many many thanks for the mashed potato recipe. Shall definitely try it out this weekend( I have one more in the to do list - diet pizza )!!!

Dear Dewdrop

Your words are so very encouraging. Many thanks for your tips. Please keep them coming.

-Gayathri.

1 person likes this.
  4. gayathriar

gayathriar Bronze IL'ite

Looks like all moms were busy this weekend. Here's what I fed my kid the past few days:

Breakfast : Thayir dosai, mini idli, cereal
    Lunch: Rasam sadam with vegetables, mashed potato and curd rice
    Snack: Fruits, urad vadai
    Dinner: Kanji, curd rice.

-Gayathri.

5. vaishnavilakshmi

vaishnavilakshmi Bronze IL'ite

Hi ladies,

Yday,my son was not eating much
    My son too had baby idli today for breakfast.
    My son had babyidli(min idli) with vegetable soup and he had some fruits(grapes,stawberries,orange) aslso for breakfast.And for lunch i gave him green peas rice with chicken.

For snack he had cheese sandwich and Milk .

Let me think on his dinner.May be i would give him rice with thotakura(amaranth leaves) curry and serve fruits.

vaishu

6. Karthiga

Karthiga Bronze IL'ite

hello Dew,
    just now read ur post. thanks for ur advice for the moms suffering to feed (like me :icon_frown: ). Let me try ur ways and fb you soon. thanks.

regards
    karthiga:wave

7. Karthiga

Karthiga Bronze IL'ite

hello friends,
    My son is 34 months old and he is going to playschool nearby. His everyday food is:
    1 glass of pediasure
    1idli or dosa with chutney
    Biscuits or cake in school with any fresh juice
    1 cup rice with dal or any keerai and an egg.
    Night dosa or rice with milk.

today he had noodles for his breakfast and went to school.

regards

8. Karthiga

Karthiga Bronze IL'ite

Dear friends,
    Let me get cleared, is giving juices from concentrate, for kids is good for health?. Instead giving bottled juices like slice, fruitnik, appy etc, i preferred these concentrates for they have no presevatives added. (some brands are Real, Tropicana, etc...). My son got the taste from Gerber concentrates and he loves them very much. As we could'nt get gerber products frequently here i tried these concentrates. Is it safe? pls suggest.....

regards

9. Anamika29

Anamika29 New IL'ite

Hi
    Here is the items from yesterday:

bfast: milk in bed (it has been dificult to change this!)
    morning: fruit puree

lunch: vegetable soup (i make like a meal with dal, rice, many vegetables,olive oil and temper) and 1 besan roti. Then, the girl had pasta with tofu but the boy didn't want.

afternoon: chocolate milk with some sugar free cookies

dinner: tofu curry, besan roti, rice and the soup again. But once again the boy just had the soup and the besan roti because he is not well - chickenpox!

regads

10. gayathriar

gayathriar Bronze IL'ite

Dear Anamika - hope your kid gets well soon..

Dear Karthiga - my personal preference is freshly prepared juice if fruits are readily available. If 100% juice is available, I buy that, otherwise I try not to give other drinks which are just sweet and have no nutritional value.

Wow Vaishu - you seem to try a variety of food( specifically Amaranth leaves ).

This is what I fed my kid yesterday:

breakfast: a few mini idlis and some cereal
    Lunch: Rasam rice and boiled baby carrots.
    Snack: a small bowl boiled soy beans
    Dinner: Roti with ghee and jam and some yogurt.

-Gayathri.