1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

What can I advise her?

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by 1Sandhya, Jul 24, 2015.

1. 1Sandhya

1Sandhya Platinum IL'ite

folks,

Need your input about a problem my friend is having with her hubby. I met her yesterday after a while. Normally she is cheerful, energetic and lively girl. She takes care of home and does hell lot of things with kids activities etc. Anyway she was telling me her hubby wont help her at all in the house works or with the children's works and takes her for granted. She was really depressed about it.

specific recent incident she said was her kid needs to be dropped to some camp about 20 miles away everyday for 1 week. She requested him to help with this ie drop kid on way to office in the mornings and she will do pickup but he is refusing stating he has back pain. But she mentioned his back pain was not a problem when he took airline flight to LA recently or to go to work everyday or to meet his friends in the evening. I asked her why dropoff is such a problem and she said she has to cook, clean, do grocery and take the other kids for their classes and appointments since this is vacation time and kids are home so it is tooo much hectic for her to do both pickup and dropoff. but he is refusing. She is very upset. At the same time the kid in question is very keen to do that camp. She doesnt want to disappoint kid either. What should I tell her? what should she do? Please give some good, clever ideas to help her manage for that week.

She is very bitter and venting that basically her hubby is either too busy or too tired or backpain or headache or some other health problem whenever it comes to her or home works or kids works. But always he is able to go to office or meet his friends and even volunteered to take trip to LA on some office work, no problem. She was quite fed up. Btw, she told the doc has told him to go for PT or chiro for his back since long back but he will not do that either. He just ignores any health issue as long as possible but expects that she should always accommodate him for them. And it is now become her problem.

2. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

How does her hubby get to work? public transport? Car pool?
    How is the commute peak hours to the summer camp? off the way /on the way to work?

3. armummy

armummy Platinum IL'ite

Her grouse may be valid but she needs to understand his work and efforts he takes at work is the basis if their finances . He may not have choice there but has to work with backache . Is the camp on the way to office or our f way?

May be the cure is to suggest treatment for backache - chiropractor or physical therapy etc .

It is difficult for her also to go 80 miles a day , best thing would
    ne to find a carpool if someone else from that area is going to the same camp

4. Gauthu

Gauthu Bronze IL'ite

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]Your friend has to talk to him and make him understand how hectic the schedule for her. Your friend has to make sure that he has to go thru her schedule in a day and then let him give an answer for her request. She has to tell him if he can suggest any alternative if he is not going to help her.In case he resists to drop the kid, she has to ask her husband to take care of rest of housework.
    If husband still resists to talk and hear... ask her husband to atleast switch a day routine like her and know how hectic this was for his wife to go through all.

[/FONT]

5. Akanksha1982

Akanksha1982 IL Hall of Fame

Her husband may be having genuine health problem and maybe he is stretching himself for work. He definitely needs medical help. The pain will aggravate if not taken care and later he may need surgery or some serious treatment. Chronic pain should never be taken lightly.

Alternatively, she can get an electric heating pad for his back pain. That helped me from back pain post delivery.

She can hire some maid for taking care of some chores and see if she can carpool for the camp.

sarvantaryamini likes this.
  6. 1Sandhya

1Sandhya Platinum IL'ite

Thanks for all your replies. I will pass on the suggestions when I see her next.

@justanothergirl no as far as I know, he drives by himself. The camp place is a little further than where he works but in same direction so I think definitely in mornings at least he would get carpool benefit for dropping her.

@armummy: It is a good point but I dont think there is any danger to his job or their financial livelihood just for dropping the child off in the mornings. :) She is not asking him to quit his job just to drop the kid, in fact he will probably reach earlier than normal because he will get carpool with the kid.

@gauthu yeah good suggestion but this girl is kind of supermom type. I think that is half the problem here, she has stretched herself many times before to ensure every thing is taken care of and now her h is used to that. it backfired on her.

@Akanksha1982 yeah all are very good suggestions but possible only when the 'adult' in question is willing to listen na? When other than complaining and moaning there is no motivation to actually fix his back pain then what can she do? What should she do?

7. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

Hey Sandhya..If we take out the obvious..(sheer laziness ....inconsiderate etc etc)
    here is something to think about.
    I have seen many parents go overboard with their children s activities..Most summer vacations end up being really stressful with camps ,regular activities and play dates.
    If both are in sync then they usually figure out a way to pull through..but I have seen cases where one of parents is not entirely convinced and this acting out could be a way of showing dissent. "oh u wanted it ..now deal with it".

8. 1Sandhya

1Sandhya Platinum IL'ite

hmm... that's a very good point @justanothergirl.

9. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:Yes. This seems to be a perfect response . But am curious what happened later. How this reply was made use of by op.

Thanks and Regards.

10. sarvantaryamini

sarvantaryamini Gold IL'ite

Does she know that there are drop off services? I have heard that there are people who provide dropping off and even picking up kids from school but for some fees. Is she comfortable with that arrangement?

Your friend should sit down with her husband and have serious talk with him regarding responsibilities. She probably could ask him to help with other activities if not this one or seek outside help in those activities. Somewhere she should try to cut down. And yes, she should start involving her husband in activities where he can pitch in and which would help her. Some men do things on asking, some do it without asking. It all depends on what they think is priority. Most men don't pitch in, some do, and they make it known that they are doing it, they will also do it according to their likes, style and convenience. Some men are more understanding and empathetic and are willing to have discussion and share responsibilities amicably. I think your friend is taking too much on herself from the beginning. She should have started delegating when and where she could have. Also, as someone said, maybe she is not aiming realistically and practically. I don't know about her, you may know her situation better, but this is what I felt when I read the post.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2020