What are your plans for this Navratri!!

Discussion in 'Festivals, Functions & Rituals' started by Sindhuja, Sep 5, 2007.

1. malspie

malspie Platinum IL'ite

Oh Poonam,

I can understand how busy your family would be, in case you all take part in garba dance, post your photographs, we would like to see the face behind the name and more interesting would be the clothes. I lke the way everyone dresses up during this festival, even guys, their shervanis, chudidars, some with dhotis and turbans, with maching accessories and shoes too.. Its real fun.. Do not worry, your second daughter would be fit and fine to play dandida... Wish them Best of luck on my behalf for their exams.

2. sujakalyan

sujakalyan Silver IL'ite

Hi Mals, :goodidea:

I was expecting that sombody will open the navrathri topic. For me, last year i was in madras, it was a wonderful experience. I went to temples, did pujas, were inviting our family people every day for lunch, inviting nearby ladies for golu, we make one vareity rice, payasam, evening sundal-as routine menu, along with tamboolam as momento we gave "lalitha sahasranamam book", visited family realtives and nearby houses. This year :icon_frown: Im here. Ok anyway I will browse in net and read available magazines the slokas to be chanted everyday, will do pooja, utilise the resources availalble in UAE to rock the navarathri:-D

We can also promote this thread further to share navrathri tips, everyday's pooja, sloka attachment, and much more experiences

3. malspie

malspie Platinum IL'ite

Hi Suja,

Reading your post, I can understand the fun you must have had in Chennai. India rocks during festivals. Do not worry, Someone will post tips for celebrating, slokas reciting etc.. we just have to wait for the replies.

4. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

hi mals,

Nice thread. Was thinking reply/not reply..since not too much interesting things happen.

Navrathri means poojas elaborate ones. then prasad to be given away. I have food only after a sumangali comes and takes haldi,kumkum, etc. And in the evening we do visit the neighbours/relatives who call us for the same.

We dont have gollu at home. So evening daughter and son sing in front of god.

5. malspie

malspie Platinum IL'ite

Hi Shanvy,

Your post was short and sweet. Prasads remind me of vellapair sundal. I love that very much. Kolu is not to be seen much here too. WE never had one at home.

6. Sindhuja

Sindhuja Silver IL'ite

Mals,
    I am planning to have a 5 steps Kollu for this Navrathiri! My daughters and I are looking forward for the navarathiri to begin. I usually call all ladies and small kids, for Kollu. But this time I am planning to call all my friends' families for puja and dinner. We are planning to sing Mahisasura Mardini slokam, Sri Lalitha Sahasranamam, and also some Keerthanas. My mom makes Puttu (sweet ) on Navarathiri Friday. As i do not know how to make puttu, I will make some sweet, sundal, and vada for prasadam. For thamboolam, I give kids some toys and for ladies some special item from Bed Bath and Beyond.

Happy Dussehra to all!

Sindhu

Last edited: Oct 1, 2007
  7. Shobanag

Shobanag Bronze IL'ite

What a wonderful topic - we never had golu at my house growing up but my grandma did - so, if we visited her during that time, we enjoyed it. My MIL did not keep it either and after we came here - did not start that at all:cry: . Now in hindsight, I wish I had. There are not many Indians where we live - was invited to an acquaintance's house for golu once - did not know her very well, so that kind of ended! I celebrate Saraswathi pooja and Vijayadasami - keep the books, etc. Nothing elaborate. Now, I am starting to feel guilty - all you ladies are inspiring me to do something more elaborate this year! I wish I had IL back when my child was young and been more involved!

Wow Sindhuja - I am impressed by your plans!! Wish I lived near you - I would invite myself!!

8. Sindhuja

Sindhuja Silver IL'ite

Hi Shobana,
    I wish you are near my house, too. You are welcome anytime!

regards,
    Sindhu

9. malspie

malspie Platinum IL'ite

Hi Sindhu,

You have geared yourself to celebrate it very traditionally. I got drowned in the festive occasion reading your colourful post.

Your mention of Shlokas and Prasads were very informative.

Thank you for your valuable post.

10. malspie

malspie Platinum IL'ite

Hi Shobana,

Do not feel low, each person has his own way of celebrating the festival. You are doing your best, O.K.