What are your plans for this Navratri!!

Discussion in 'Festivals, Functions & Rituals' started by Sindhuja, Sep 5, 2007.

1. malspie

malspie Platinum IL'ite

Hi Ami,

Your post was very intersting. Since, I had a working mom, Golu was not in my house. She would buy paan supari and other stuff and exchange with her friends and relatives visiting their home. This concession was given to her by all, due to her working status, as she would return home only after 8.30 p.m.. We would collect those small mirrors and combs. The worst part of it were the blouse pieces. I still have a good collection as they do not match the colour of my sarees. The same would be everywhere.

I totally agree with you that today, you cannot barge in and wish anybody, as people do not like it much. Every year the list of people to be invited changes at least in Mumbai. Its not only for festival, also for birthdays and other parties. None of the relationships last longer...

2. malspie

malspie Platinum IL'ite

Hi Kamla,

I am touched to know that you like to hit on my threads. Even we did not have Kolu or golu, as I had a working mom. We would not miss on the celebrations as we are busy hopping from one home to another in childhood, kanya pon status would bring in lots of goodies !!!! Nice those days were...

Today, its much of funfare..........

3. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Hi Mals,

Please don't put us Moderators on a pedestal. We are just members of this site with an added resposibility that all:-D .
    Your post really kindled all the good times in Mumbai and I had to thank you for that.
    Yes We do browse all forums, more to make sure that no junk has been posted. And then sometimes some posts make us stop and respond. Yours was one such.

Oh by the way i did read your posts on Ganesh Chathuti too, Meant to reply too but got caught up in other things. I still remember, whole Mumbai used to close early so that the people could take part in the Processions for visarjan. it used to be so much fun. And they used to do live telecast too. Do they still do it?
    A big thank you for bringing me back to Amchi Mumbai.

Vandhana

4. malspie

malspie Platinum IL'ite

Hi Vandana,

Yes there was live telecast this year too and i sat up the whole night and waited for my Lalbaugh Cha Raja. Being Raja, he had around 5 lakh people with him. His cart is pulled manually by SEVAKS, so he comes slowly. Finally, he came to the shore at around 5.45 in the morning and was immersed after six. It was fun to sit up and watch the procession, especially muslims worshipping him when he was passing Muslim dominated areas. The advantage of watching the procession , is we get to see all the idols. And Vandana, I did not feel a bit sleepy, I rushed to office, thinking I would sip in more cuppa tea in case i feel snoozy.... but nothing happened. I was fine, hail and hearty.

You will like the photographs that I put up in my Ganesha Thread. It has collection from 1934 till date... The first idol was brought in 1934..

5. malspie

malspie Platinum IL'ite

Hi Latha,

I am sorry to know that your Dad left for heavenly abode 4 months ago. He is with the Lord, to solve all your problems. His blessings are there with you and your family. You still, stepped in and posted your comments is really touching, it also reflects your loving personality. Thanks Latha.

6. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

dear mals
    thanks for the interesting thread. i usually only do puja but this year we are planning to keepsmall kolu. hoping it all goes well.

7. Blondie

Blondie Bronze IL'ite

Hi Malspie,

Mumbai seems to be such a fun place to be from your account. What happened to your Boo?? It has stopped dancing. :))

Growing up in telangana region of Andhra Pradesh, Navaratri has a totally different flavor for us. The nine days devi durga in the form of bathukamma (bathuku amma = live dear mother) is worshipped by the ladies in the evening in the form of Songs and ritual dance movements. Bathukammas are made with flowers and after worship, immersed in the local freshwater ponds or lakes. The ninth day is celebrated on a much larger scale than the preceding eight days in all means i.e Bathukammas are bigger and more colorful, the ladies are decked out in their best and the songs and dances continue longer into the evening and since the bathukammas are bigger they are carried deeper into the lake for immersion.

Posting couple of pictures of our bathukamma celebration this year ( way ahead of navaratri i know but the parks are available only upto first week of october :icon_frown:)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 1, 2007
  8. malspie

malspie Platinum IL'ite

Hi AC,

If you have plans to keep Kolu then your celebration wuld be grand, as it follows with pan supari and other rituals, A busy AC for 10 days... Wish you all the best to make it successful.

9. malspie

malspie Platinum IL'ite

Hi Blondie,

You have made the post LIVELY WITH THOSE PHOTOGRAPHS. My idea of starting this thread was to know the enthusiasm and culture behind integrated in this festival which is celebrated grandly in India and you lived up to my expectation. :clap I noticed that women are cladded in Pure Silk Sarees and they are dancing in Circle, something like Garba!!!!.. Why has the celebration started so early.. Are you there in the photographs (Chuppa Rustom?!!?). What is that Bhatukamma made of, seems to adorned with flowers.

Your post of was very informative. Hey my "boo" is dancing and will dance forever.... I just cant get over him.. So chweeet he is na...

10. poonamjoshi9266

poonamjoshi9266 New IL'ite

Hi Mals,

By birth i am not a gujju but married to a gujju. i have two daughters, 12yrs old and 9 yrs old. Every year they participate in garba (dandiya ras) but this year due to illness my younger daughter is not participating. Elder one is very busy with her practice as well as her studies coz from 5th Oct'07 she is having her 2nd terminal examination. At home we worship godess durga for nine days. From the 7th day durga puja will start till vijayadashmi. So we all will be very busy during navratri. Wish you a happy navratri!!!