1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

what are u feeding your 6-9 month old?

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by loonypooh, May 26, 2010.

1. VidyaaJ

VidyaaJ Silver IL'ite

I give the following to S

1) Oats porridge/homemade Rice kanji
    2) carrot/beetroot/pumpkin/potato/beans, combination of these veggies + overcooked rice +moongh dhal + 1 tsp of ghee
    3)Nestum with BM/apple sauce
    4) Mashed banana

But poonam, your recipes looks so yummy.. going to try everything.. I was so reluctant to start of milk.. but added about less than 1/4 cup of milk to a store bought kanji powder and she did well on that...

She is bored of nestum nowadays/apple sauce.. so wanted to try something else..

Poonam, for every new food you gave a gap of 4 days right? but still seem to have covered a wide range.. good going girls?

and a new food indicates any one new ingredient in a recipe- am I right?

Vidyaa

2. Padminiramesh

Padminiramesh Senior IL'ite

I give the following to my LO
    1. Home made rice kanji
    2. Apple sause
    3. Nestum rice
    4. Easum
    5. Geeth Kanji (Roasted gram and rice kanji)
    6. Ragi (stopped now and going to start by 7 or 8 months)

3. mridusudha

mridusudha Silver IL'ite

Poonam,

That's a very good collection of recipes I have. Starting 7 months, I fed and still feed DS any of the dals I make mixed with rice. I never grinded anything. I just cook rice with more water and mash it with hands or potato masher. Then I mix whatever dal I make for everybody at home.
    I have tried tomato dal, mango dal, spinach dal, squash dal and methi dal. I also add little rasam for taste.
    I also give ragi+jaggery. He loves it...

I love the site you mentioned in the other thread Homemade Baby Food Recipes To Help You Create A Healthy Menu For YOUR Baby. I tried the veggie semolina and it became an instant hit. DS loved it...

DS also loves to eat yogurt...I have give him cheese but he seems to be going slow on it..

Thanks for the nice recipes

4. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

yes i did. she has been used to dates, so i took a chance with apricots...so far no issues.

5. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

vidya i realised starting 7 months she could handle almost all foods, and so every wk i would introduce 1-2 new foods.... so far she is doing great and loves it.

yes i still follow the 4 day rule.

6. Neetu_kumar

Neetu_kumar Senior IL'ite

Hi Poonam, Nice thread and the link u provided seems interesting.DS is 9.5mnths old and I’m giving hime the following :
    1) Juices / milk shakes ( BM ):: Apple , mango , pineapple , pear , plum , dates ( combinations as well ).Sometimes I add fresh coconut with or without nutmeg pdr / cinnamon pdr.
    2) BF / mid morning :: corn flakes + juice / milk shakes or cooked oats with any of the above fruits or veggies.
    3) Lunch n Dinner:: oats / semolina / rice / ragi / daalia khichdis -includes toor dal or moon dal or sprouted green gram with combi of veggies ( carrots / beans / beets / peas / spinach / sweet potato / white potato / brinjal / zucchini). Tempering will be with a bit of olive oil or ghee or butter with cumin seeds or prd and / or pepper pdr w / o onion , garlic and ginger .
    Fried rice / jeera rice . Rice is over cooked for this. Sometimes I add a small tiny bit of garam masala …just for flavor. Sterday I strted with tomatoes and he liked it.
    Rava / ragi / rice / daalia kesari w/o roasted n powdered moong dal prd and with mango / pineapple / beet / dates.
    Parathas: Aloo / veggies.
    4) Soups :: Potato , veggies - carrots + beans+ peas or sweet potato , beet.
    5) Finger food :: store bought rice rusk , oven roasted beets/carrots/potatoes . small rotis made with boiled veggies and dusted with powdered dry fuits + brwn rice pdr ( improvised cutlets ), flakes , puffed rice.
    I’m yet to introduce salt / sugar-jaggery-honey / milk / yoghurt.Looking at you ladies, I’m considering on startng earlier.

Is it ok to start cabbage ??

7. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

neetu the sites say at 9 months its okay to start cabbage...

i really love ur baby's menu. fantastic job mom "claps"

8. sumanr

sumanr Silver IL'ite

Neetu - Excellent Menu. DO you blend the food for LO?

Poonam - When you mean ghee for tadka ...you heat ghee and add jeera in it right? After that do u blend it? I was worried if the jeera pieces will cause choking. Also, can you tell what food you freeze?

9. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

ramya, yes ghee for tadka, i usually make sure i remove jeera seeds if i see them while feeding her. earlier i used to use jeera powder and i hated how it got burnt in a milisecond in tadka....

i freeze her brkfast and dinner.
    morning since 1 wk i been giving her brkfast, 2 oz fruit mashed(papaya/banana) ,2 scoops nestum, milk,water.
    so i mash 1 small papaya and freeze in separate containers.

dinner i freeze this veggie soup in batches of 4 oz.give it with easum or mashed rice.

i also freeze batches of soups like carrot beetroot soup etc. now this annabelkarnel site mentions which foods can be frozen...i am going to try and follow that for new recipes from there.lunch is freshly prepared.

but i only freeze in batches to last 3-4 days... and once cooled i immediately transfer into sterilized container.

buy the mothercare stackers ramya, they hv date dial, so u will remember wen u stored incase u ever hv to make large batches.

10. VidyaaJ

VidyaaJ Silver IL'ite

Poonam, did you try both dalia and dates at one single shot? I thought of trying that recipe, but wondered how can I start two new food at the same time? Or is that alright?

Vidyaa