What are the places to visit in pondicherry

Discussion in 'Chennai' started by sugi85, Sep 16, 2009.

1. sugi85

sugi85 Senior IL'ite

Hi friends,

we have planned for a outing to Pondicherry this weekend. Help me with the places to see there..

2. umarani66

umarani66 New IL'ite

hi
    there are some beaches,prticularly one beach is there i forgot the name,you can reach the beach by boat only govt arrangements r there for it,thats nice.
    then AUROVILLE is there its like a village all foreighners settled there but we cant go to that village but we can visit that place to some extent,r you can get the details from the hotels where you r staying. byeeeeee

3. sugi85

sugi85 Senior IL'ite

thanks a ton for ur reply...

4. hat

hat Bronze IL'ite

Hi

I hope it's not too late to reply

You can sight see:

1. Manakula Vinayagar temple/Cathderal Church on Mission Street/ French Church on Rue Suffren
    2. Stroll down the beach in the evening. There is a nice promenade with a European touch to it
    3. If you have kids, you can take them to the adjacent park, It was very well maintained
    4. If you have ample time, walk down the White part of the town. You will lovely French villas and some houses sporting an amalgamation of Tamil and French architecture
    5. There are plenty of good restaurants. You get lovely French, Bengali cuisines at affordable prices
    6. You can go boating at Chunambar lake. This lake is featured in movies
    7. Then, you can of course go the Aurobindo Ashram and Auroville

These are some of the places you should visit. Let me know if you need more info. :)

5. sugi85

sugi85 Senior IL'ite

Thanks yar.. Let me know more...

6. hat

hat Bronze IL'ite

If you are in Pondy on a Sunday, you should visit the Sunday market. It is like a flea market in the Anjuga beach in Goa. You may pick up curios, textiles at throwaway prices.

If you know anyone in Pondicherry University, ask them to take you to ravines. There are some spectacular views from the ravines that you should not miss at any cost. It would help if you are into nature, ecology, etc.

These are the two places that struck me immediately. Hope this helps.:)