What are PanchaKosas?

Discussion in 'Chitvish on Hindu Culture & Vedanta' started by Chitvish, Aug 30, 2007.

1. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear Asha,
    Welcome to this sub-forum.
    I am very happy to know that you have learnt all this in your philosophy classes ! So it will be less "scary" to you than others !!
    Thankyou very much for joining us here.
    Love,
    Chithra.

2. Chitvish

Dear Pavithra,
    A very sweet feedback from you - thankyou very much.
    Understanding these are very valuable in life because our "deha abhimanam" starts decreasing after a certain stage.
    The best statement in your post is, that you feel already, a change in your outlook. What you write is the first step in practising karma yoga. May God be with you in this journey.
    Do not think or worry, I am stressing myself. No, I am enjoying every article I write in vedanta, immensely. Thanks for your concern.
    Love,
    Chithra.

3. asharao

asharao Senior IL'ite

Hi! Chithra,

It's really overwhelming to see the kind of responses on IL to any thread on IL.It's really a beautiful way of expressing our likes and thoughts thru IL.

Keep it UP!!:clap :clap

4. gayu_r

gayu_r Senior IL'ite

Dear Chittu Manni,

A really good post and I just kept adding the points to a diagram so that I could understand them better. I searched on some of the concepts I didn't completely understand and added them also to the diagram. Am attaching the diagram so that you could review and let me know if I am missing anything here.

But I have some doubts which you could probably help me understand..
    - Does the pancha bhootas really come under the sthula shareeram ?
    - Why do we have two references - the jnanendriyas and the tanmatras ? I have a feeling that both of these are the same..
    - Is there any chance you have the 19 organs that constitute the sukshma shariram ? I understand that these are not tangible organs, since they are already accounted for in sthula shariram..
    - Is pranamaya kosha the jeevan (life) ? How is death defined in vedanta ? I think technically it is the pranamya kosha that stops functioning with the annamaya kosha. Then what happens to the manonmya, vignyanamaya and anandamaya kosha ?

I think I just got hyper after reading your post. A really interesting post and you have done a great job explaining to us such a complicated subject.

Thanks,
    Gayu

Attached Files:

5. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Hi Chitra,

I am still like a cow chewing cud...i have not still finished..as u said it is a dry one...but quite interesting......already gayu has brought in so many of her doubts.. interesting ones...waiting eagerly for all your replies..

Your post is good. the icing is the replies and feedback which give a different perspective and understanding...i am still chewing..:-D

Last edited: Sep 1, 2007
  6. Chitvish

Dear Gayu,
    I have to give you an in-depth explanation. Hope I am not testing your patience.
    Tanmatras actually mean the specific substance out of which the gross elements are essentially made, and from which anything can be deduced by an increase in the density of these components through a mixing by way of proportionate combination. This is called "Pancheekaranam", which is too elaborate to be explained here.
    The Sanskrit words for the five Tanmatras are Sabda, Sparsa, Rupa, Rasa and Gandha, i.e., the principle of sound connected with Ether(space), the principle of touch connected with Air, the principle of sight or colour connected with Fire, the principle of taste connected with Water, and the principle of smell connected with Earth. These in their universal significance are the Tanmatras, the essential subtle ingredients behind the five gross elements.
    19 parts of sukshma sariram are;
    1-5 - 5 jnanendriyas - perceptors or entrance gates for physiological functions also called sense organs of knowledge
    ears (sabda)
    skin(sparsha)
    Eyes (rupa)
    tongue (rasa)
    nose (gandha)

6-10 - 5 karmendriyas - sense organs of action - exit gates
    Tongue - speech
    Legs - motion
    hands - carrying
    genitals - reproduction
    anus - excretion

11-15 - Panchapranas - supporters of sense organs; also energy generators or convertors
    Prana - respiration
    Apana - excretion
    samana - digestion
    udana - reversal system
    vyana - distribution

16-10 - fourfold inner organs called anthakaranas
    Manas - doubts, desires, emotions
    Buddhi - inner judgement, concentration
    Chitham - memory (subconscious)
    Ahankara - ego (identification)

During death, the sukshma sariram leaves the body & all the associated organs stop functioning. All kosass stop their function, simultaneously.
    Death can be explained as "chaithanyam" leaving the body. We will see that as we proceed deeper. It is a mystery till today !

Thanks for your detailed F B.
    Love,
    Chithu.

7. Chitvish

Dear Shanthi,
    Thanks for joining us here.
    Why you alone, I am still chewing & very often sit all over again reading the most elementary book Thathva Bodha !
    I too find it challenging to answer doubts - but let me be frank, far from easy !
    Love,
    Chithra.

8. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Dear Chithra,
    You are a treasure-trove! As you had already told me that you have to do lot of homework to explain in simple language, so that even the lay man/woman could understand Gita. Though it is a very tough job, you are doing it wonderfully. Hats off to you!
    Love,
    Pushpavalli

9. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Thanks to our IL'ites and their queries, I am enjoying the full benefit of all these detailed discussions.

This is what I was looking forward to. I don't think we could have a better platform to understand and discuss the Vedanta.

Thanks again to Chithra and my fellow IL'ites :)

L, Kamla

10. Chitvish

Dear Pushpavalli,
    Every F B from you, touches my heart, all the more because you are a senior citizen like me.
    Though challenging, this has become an enjoyable "exercise" for me !
    Thankyou very much.
    Love,
    Chithra.