1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Wedding Gifts

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Kamalji, Jan 6, 2015.

1. thegirlygirl

thegirlygirl Platinum IL'ite

This is very common in foreign countries.

I don't know how these people have the courage to write such words in their invitations.

One invitation I had received read,

We do not expect any presents from you, your presence will be our greatest gift. If you still insist to spoil us rotten with your gifts, then we suggest you give us a cash gift to help us start our new life together.

2. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Satchi,

See till now u have given, and not taken. so u give as per yr mood at that moment, u dont keep track.But once u have taken, the game changes.

Say kelly gave u 1000 for yr son's wedding, and when it is yr turn to give her child something, say u give 500, maybe forgettign what she gave, and who knows she many feel offended that satchi knows to take, but not to give, and for a small sum of money , a friendship is lost or become less.that sii what i mean.

The thought part is fine, but these feeligns do creep in in these give and take of gifts.

i personally feel, dont ake and dont give. i have seen some big chaps in town, they dont take a penny, very few, but yes they are around.

Regards

kamal

3. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Kelly,

Firstly a very happy birthday to u. May u grow younger by the day, and healthier and wealthier.

Close family , accepting fine, like uncle and aunts, and cousins. But friends and others, well i would say no.

What is the use of keeping to be given away? How can u give lesser than what u have acceped from that person. This may spoil the relations even if the difference is say a few hundreds, so better not take nor give, simple, solves all the problems.

So each to their own kelly, some things are very personal, just as this topic.Each one correct int heir own thinking.

Regards

kamal

4. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear GG,

Wow, a new lord Tennyson being born eh ! HAHA. good one GG.

Regards

kamal

1 person likes this.
  5. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Dear Kamalji,
    As you have said in bygone days people used to gift wall clocks, coffe or tea sets and other household articles with their names engraved. But now the younger generations prefer to take cash as gift for they can buy whatever they want or deposit in the bank.
    In our family we will ask what they would prefer and if it is a costly thing we cousins will share the bill and buy the gift.
    PS

6. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sabita,

Till i had not received, i used to give without a care in the world, what i wnated. the equation changed after my daughters wedding. So if dont take, i wont have to give also, and i will cut off this karma once and for all.

the next time i go empty handed to a wedding, they will not mind, for they will say, kamal did not ake for his daughters wedding, so fine.And wont snactch the food plate from our hands, if u know what i mean.

HAHA

And a yogi u got .i have that book, wife reads it and loves it. i just loved one line in the book, the only page i read, which said " For u are feeding someone and that person bites yr hand, then gracefull y take back yr hand and withdraw, meaning stop helping that ungrateful person.

Well i have come across many such ungreatful persons, and this line helped me to save a lot of money. Now that u have remeinded me, i am going to read it, who knows i many save more money,, i am a sindhi u see.

HAHA

Regards

kamal

7. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear CB,

Yes it is a no hassle thing to not receive and not give, so no tension really, just go and enjoy.what say ?

Regards

kamal

8. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Balaji,

Well gift cheques too are cash, but the couple gets bound down to buy only from that store of which the cehques belong.

Yes why give bedsheets, orimpose our choice on them, give cash if u have to, or donmt give and dont take.

Regards

kamal

9. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sy,

Return gifts i am not aware of in weddings. When we give the card, some give gifts with the card, like half a kg or quarter kg of some dry fruit, like Badam,and some misri. now a days u can order persoalized bags, with zips etc for giving gifts, with the nam,es of the couple printed on the bag, costing in the range of 20/- upwrards. minimum u need 100 bags to order. i am seeing that now.

Well if the return gift was 10,000 handbag, the gift that the giver has to give also must be heavy,no?

Crazy really takes out all the fun of attending and having a blast.u rightly say it has become an expensive way to atten d a weeding. do u know sometimes there are multiple weddings to attend in a day, and then say a dozen weddings in a month, and giving enveloppes can ruin yr monthly budget.

so better is, when yr turn comes to take, just refuse, and for life, u are free to not give, for u did not take when u could.Best way i feel to enjoy life without tension.

Regards

kamal

10. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Kamalji,

I am on your side with respect to not receiving gifts for the wedding of children. In fact, I have written about it before, I am planning to share the expenses of the wedding with my DIL's parents equally. If DIL's parents present jeweleries to their child, we are planning to give something else that would be meaningful for the new couple.

With regard to others, it is really hard to go to a wedding empty handed. Recently, we had a unique experience. Since we have no daughters of our own, both my wife and I are very found of daughters born to our close friends. One of them used to call us as Appa and Amma (Father and Mother) every time we meet her. Her family announced that she is getting married soon. We felt so moved and decided to give a gift that she would always remember. We went to their residence and gave a gift that she would always remember instead of giving it during her wedding. She and her parents also requested me to supervise marriage function arrangements which I readily agreed.

Viswa