1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Wearing Mangalsutra inside dress

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by garimagoyal, Oct 26, 2014.

1. vidhyabharath

vidhyabharath Silver IL'ite

Wonderful reply People0skills!:clap:cool2:

2. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Or not wear one if they don't want.

1 person likes this.
  3. garimagoyal

garimagoyal Senior IL'ite

Hi,

Thanks. That might be the reason if we were to go outside :goodidea:. However she insists on keeping it inside the dress in the house also.

4. garimagoyal

Hi Sri,

Thanks for the detailed explanation. Your post explains a lot about the SI customs followed by my MIL. I also remember the pregnant women not seeing each other custom (once quoted by her) kneesmiley.

5. garimagoyal

Hi Meera,

I asked her very sweetly several times but somehow she always gets offended and seems to take it personally. She will immediately get angry and the environment will get spoiled :-(. This happens not only for Mangalsutra question but for some other customs also. So now I have stopped asking her.

6. garimagoyal

Hi Padmaja,

My mangalsutra is a mix of both South Indian and North Indian :-D - it has black beads along with the two round lockets that were tied at the time of marriage.

Having black beads along with SI version was the only thing I insisted upon.

Off the topic - we had three marriage ceremonies - One SI, one NI and one registered to make everyone from both sides happy. Ours is a love marriage.

2 people like this.
  7. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Tying of Thali, or Mangala sutra or Thirumangalyam itself has no vedic sanction. In Wedding ceremonies there is no specific mantra for the groom tying the sacred knot to the girl.
    There are spcecific mantras for Kannika Danam, ( Girl's parents gifting their daughter) and Pani Grahanam ( The boy taking the girl's hand) and sapthapadhi( the 7 vows taken by the couple together).

But there is no mantra for tying of mangala Sutra.
    The mantra " Mangalyam thanthunaameva mama jeevana hetuna
    Kante badnaami shubage jeevema shardah shatm"
    often we hear in movies and TV serials is a later addition.

While there is no religiosity to the mangalyam itself, there can be no rule/regulation in scriptures in wearing the same, inside or outside the dress.
    These customs have been framed by our own elders due to sociological reasons like evil eye or Dhrishti and woven into our culture.
    There is no instance of wearing mangalyam in Ramayana or Mahabharata or any other epic.There are fine descriptions of grand marriage functions, but nothing has been stated about mangalya Dharanam even in arranged marriages as Sita Rama vivaham.

Wearing of thirumangalyam itself came into habit or custom only after foreign invasion to make people know that a girl is married.Even foreigners were hesitant to approach a married girl.Atrocities as kidnapping girls were somewhat common in north India, perhaps that is why north Indian Communities started wearing black beaded chain visibly,

If you are interested in reading Sanskrit works pertaining to various periods of history, you will find that reference to 'mangalyam' is found in works of recent origin only. Earlier Sanskrit works describing the ornaments worn by women Goddesses do not contain description of any jewel called 'mangalyam'.
    The first ever work 'Lalitha Sahasra Namam composed very recently( about 800 years back) alone has a reference to Goddess Parvati " Having shoulders adorned by mangalya Sutra .( "Mangalya sutra shobitha kandhara'.)

Therefore it is immaterial whether mangalyam is worn inside or outside.

Even now in Arya Samaj weddings mangalya dharanam is optional while
    sapthapadi is mandatory.
    One can wear mangalyam as comfortable or as advised by elders so as to not to make it as an issue.
    Even legally ,customary marriages are treated as legal only after sapthapadi.
    Mangalyam is of social significance only and has no religious or legal sanctity.
    ( Real Facts. Not to hurt the feelings of individuals. I am also wearing Thirumangalyam)

Jayasala 42( aged 72)

7 people like this.
  8. people0skills

people0skills Bronze IL'ite

OP, we find such ones here as well. To you, it might seem a mix but for me, though it is not common it is not unusual.

I'll give you more details. There are poor and middle class women who really cannot afford the golden chain for those mangalasutrams. So, they kinda wear a simple yet strong thread to which black beads are beaded and the managalasutrams are added as a pendant in the middle. Also, if they can afford a little above it, there would be a a little gold in between those black beads and of course the mangalasutram is always there. And they put this chain(w/ mangalasutrams) inside their dress/saree. I am sure your MIL might have seen these kind of chains too. And why ask her repeatedly if she gets offended? See, not everyone knows answers to few or all the rituals. All they know is it is just to be followed. We, educated ones and the ones access to many books/internet knowledge can gain information as to why they are followed and why not.

Again, it is upto us.

1 person likes this.
  9. people0skills

people0skills Bronze IL'ite

where do you get your information from? lol...

I have no idea about chain snatching statistics in entire India. But, I would just say one thing. Those Chain Snatchers have hawk eyes. Irrespective of whether the chain in inside or over the dress, if they want to snatch, they would. Also, Chain is visible from the neck too. Or am I missing something?

Last edited: Oct 28, 2014
    3 people like this.
  10. garimagoyal

Hi,

Thanks for replying. Seems to be good reasoning - something like us wearing stones on fingers for circulation.