1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Wearing Mangalsutra inside dress

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by garimagoyal, Oct 26, 2014.

1. armummy

armummy Platinum IL'ite

What kind of mangalsutra you wear ? Black beads or good chain with the mangalyam?

Practical reason :
    On our side , the mangalyam and few Other beads like pearl , ruby and black beads and some gold items along with mangalyam is tied together using a yellow thread or in some cases copper. Then it is attached to good chain , is it not very neat to look at , so it is preferable to wear it inside.

traditional reason : it is for health reasons that it will help woman health if the body touches various beads like pearl , ruby ( same reasons you wear a ring) and metal.

3 people like this.
  2. DKI

DKI Platinum IL'ite

The reason I was given was that the Mangalsutra is something that only your husband should ever view. It has something to do with the story of King harischandra recognizing his wife in the crematorium by seeing her Thaali.

These are other reasons which could be true due to a practical reason
    1) When it hangs out, if it gets hooked on to something, it could break - Not good.
    2) When kids come, the chain can scratch the baby when you hold the baby.

These are just reasons, but the one I have been told and what I believe in is the first one I said - that only husband is allowed to view it. That's why even during the wedding, as soon as the thaali is tied, it is put inside the sari.

7 people like this.
  3. pantu

pantu Gold IL'ite

Sweetly and respectfully ask for the reasons. She will probably answer your question.

1 person likes this.
  4. droplet

droplet Silver IL'ite

Hi,
    other than the reasons said by other people here, this is what I know about hiding mangalsutra inside dress. Mangalsutra is mostly made of gold/black beads gold as an identifiable mark for married women. This is believed to regularize a women's blood circulation and helps to control the body pressure levels to a great extent, as Indian women tend to work hard. Advised it should always be hidden. Just because of the constant friction of the metal gold touching the body portion directly, the effect will be more to gain the said benefits.

2 people like this.
  5. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

This is what I would suggest - each time MIL says should hide the Mangalsutra from view, shyly ask her son to do the needful and tuck it inside the dress.

My guess is that after a few times of such hiding of Mangalsutra by him, MIL will stop insisting.

Just a guess. :coffee

3 people like this.
  6. people0skills

people0skills Bronze IL'ite

I am from AP. I'll merely mention how the mangalsutra thing that is followed here. And the rest is upto you.

Married women wear two types of chains to indicate they are married. One is gold chain which has one/two disc shaped pendants attached to it. Depending on one's caste, sub-caste there could be one or two more beads attached to it too. This is usually worn inside the blouse/dress/shirt. I am sure you are aware that pasupu(turmeric), kumkuma are offered to married women as a blessing from elders, esp during poojas and when one visits others home, and is leaving them. And a little of this pasupu is applied to those mangalsutras(the discs, not the chain). It is a gesture to ensure that one's life is always filled with pasupu and kumkuma(sumangali). Kumkuma is again applied on the forehead beneath the bindi.

The other one is the black beads(nalla poosalu) which is actual mangalsutra for most of the North and NW Indians. But this one is not mandatory in this region. One wears it as a fashion statement or because they can afford it or because they like it. This again can be simple black beads with a diamond/gold pendant depending on one's monetary status/taste. The chain can be a simple one row or even two row chain to which that pendant is attached. In this region, this is the one that is usually worn over the dress/saree/shirt.

By this time, you might have observed many married women wearing their black beads chain over their saree and the actual gold chained mangalsutram inside the dress. If not, time to observe.

Yes, I have never seen any female in this region, wearing her managalasturam chain over the dress. It is always the black beads that is worn over the dress.

Why and why not? I really have no answer for it. I would probably ask why don't North and NW Indians have those disc shaped mangalsutrams and why just the black beads??? I would answer to myself, it was like that before, it is like that now. I don't mind following that.

I, myself, wouldn't mind wearing managalsutram inside the dress and wear black beads outside. Comfort and un-comfort are personal things and if you are not comfortable with it, your choice.

Btw, how is your rapport with your MIL? Is this the only rift b/n you? Its basic. If you want to be in her good books, follow it for sometime, and gradually decrease it. But if you are not in good terms with each other, then its your call completely.

good luck, let us know what have you decided and how you are planning to implement it.

4 people like this.
  7. people0skills

Personally, I dont think anyone has an actual answer to your question. I am sure even my mom wont be able to answer it. It was just happening since eons and is continuing. I dont think this is really a reason for someone to become a rebel. And if one really wants to wear something over the dress, there is always the black beads chain.

I could see most of the replies given here are mostly guesses and could be correct guesses. But yes, it is completely upto you how to manage it.

2 people like this.
  8. padmaja909

padmaja909 Platinum IL'ite

people skills you have mostly covered it and beautifully too.:clap

9. hrastro

hrastro Platinum IL'ite

Found this on some blog - I'm just the messenger - please dont kill me :eek

"Scientific Reason:

In the center of the mangalsutra there are two cups. The cups should be round and there should be no design on its front. This structure is associated with the Energy of Knowledge.
    Round shape is associated with zero, that is, with the Brahman consisting of void. The ability to absorb and emit the waves of specific level as per the need of the person is more in the round shape compared to the other shapes.
    Round shape is symbolic of Energy of Knowledge.
    Round shape is associated with the Sattva-guna in the form of Shiva-Shakti.
    The central point of the round shape provides waves in the form of striking Shakti (Energy) whereas the raised part is associated with Brahman in the form of Shiva.
    The waves of emotions are activated in the Anahat-chakra (heart) of the woman.
    The waves of Energy of Knowledge are attracted towards the circular figure of the voids of the cups of the mangalsutra.
    The waves of Knowledge assimilate the waves of the woman’s emotions.
    By this process the woman’s actions (karmas) become non-actions (akarmas), that is, the law of action-and-fruit is not applicable to the karmas done by the woman.

Benefits:

Wearing a mangalsutra helps to reduce black energy waves there is distress like pain, giddiness, restlessness etc. mangalsutra is beaded with black beads and a thin wire of gold. The gold wire destroys the distressing vibrations present in the Universe through its Energy of the Absolute Fire element. The black color of the beads is said to absorb all negative vibrations before they can reach the bride and her family. The stringing together of the beads into one thread has its significance as well. Just as each bead contributes to making a beautiful necklace, so does the woman have to blend and integrate into the new family after marriage." Due to disintegration of the black energy attracted to the black beads, the woman is less affected by evil eye.
    Waves of black energy associated with the Absolute Earth and Water element are attracted to the black beads of the mangalsutra. Through the black beads waves of black energy are emitted in the atmosphere.
    Waves of the Absolute Fire Element in the Universe are attracted to the gold beads of the mangalsutra
    A cover of these waves is generated around the body of the woman.
    A protective sheath is generated around the woman’s body.
    The Sun-channel (Surya-naḍi) of the woman remains in an activated state because of which the Energy Principle inherent in it is awakened."

3 people like this.
  10. people0skills

OP, in most of the North and NW regions of India, there is a custom of pulling pallu/dupatta over the head, esp by married women and more esp, infront of elders. It is a form a respect.

But, if your observations are good, there is no such custom here in AP. At the same time, when elders bless us, esp when they touch our head with their palms, the blessings have more impact. You see, transfer of energy directly without any cloth like medium in between. But not wearing pallu over the head infront of elders doesn't mean that we are not respecting them. There are various ways of showing respect and these pallu/mangalsutra things are just few of them.

All said, if I get married to N or NW guy and if my mil insists me to wear pallu over the head, I have no idea how I would react. May be I would say to myself, 'chalo, yeh wahaan ke reeti riwaaz he.. follow karne mein kya harz he'. But to be frank, I would really be uncomfortable, very much so. But again, it is just another way of showing respect. I would definitely give a try.

Also, I have a friend from Uttarkand who got married to a UP guy. Her MIL insisted her to wear only salwars and not chudidhars. Logic, who knows? She must have her own and as I have heard most of the elder ladies, in that region, have that opinion. My friend who never liked wearing salwars, felt really awkward wearing them, all the time. But she later moved to a different country and she kinda escaped from that so called problem.

btw, there was a beautiful post here which stated "kos kos pe badle pani, chaar kos pe baani".

3 people like this.