1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

We always long for free things

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by jayasala42, Jul 1, 2015.

1. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

There used to be a joke that women don't mind spending in thousands if they get even a small a kerchief for free,
    When we got supply of milk from the milk vendor women never failed to ask for 'kosuru' or kosuru karuvepillai and kothamalli from the vegetable vendor.All the pazhamuthir Solai shops in Chennai give a lot of karuveppilai free to attract customers.
    It is a marketing strategy to dispose unsold products as free ( though a definite price is attached).The concept of 'free talk time', free hours of internet, free calls,buy two,one free,stay for two nights and a day in a
    travel package'.How many fill their stomachs to the bursting full with the 'free' breakfast given in big hotels and avoid a big chunk of expense for the rest of the day.
    Athithi Satkar ,even in Tamil sangam period included 'free gift' of the house owner's wife for a day or two to the guest.That was not considered dearth of chastity and women willingly had agreed to the practice.There are several versions of the story of Ahalya.One of them states that Indra was a guest to sage Gauthama and as per practice prevailing those days .he asked Ahalya to keep company to Indra.Of course they give other explanations to giving curse to Ahalya to turn into a stone --with the good intention of giving salvation to Ahalya from the hands--nay--feet of Rama.
    From Gods to sages, human beings to animals and birds -every one is going after something 'free'.I don't know whether it is in the genes of Indians alone or all human beings ,in general.I have studied in history books that Britishers took advantage of this attitude and started providing free passes for railway travel for specified number of trips ( always extended by manipulation), free accommodation to Railway employees ( operational side) with tiled houses near the stations and very luxurious fully furnished homes to senior railway officers with a spectacular garden ,swimming pool etc.Many Engg graduates those days joined Railways for these benefits and even after retirement they get around Rs 60 to 70 thousands as pension.
    Now there is 'free buy' everywhere in politics as a vote catching strategy.Students upto 12th Std in Tamilnadu get everything free-notebooks, books, cycle, lap top and a free meal.We are fully aware that the intention is evidently the building of a political image rather than the development of the state or nation .Why should there be a hue and cry?

The phone bill was exceptionally high. Man called a family meeting to discuss.
    Dad: This is unacceptable. I don't use home phone, I use my work phone.
    Mum: Me too. I hardly use home phone. I use my companies phone
    Son: I use my office mobile, I never use the home phone.
    All of them shocked and together looked at the maid who's patiently listening to them.
    Maid: "What? So we all use our work phones. What's the Big deal??

The human creation itself is such that it has an inbuilt mechanism ( a free gift of God) for automatic metabolism, absorption and assimilation.

While we accept everything that comes free to us in the form of material pleasures or divine blessings or luck or fortune ,we never accept one thing--A THOUGHT FREE MIND.

Jayasala 42

12 people like this.

2. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Jaya,

A superb post, with so much information. Free wifi to the guest i can understand, but free wife to the guest in the olden days ? Wow ! never knew that.HAHA

My mother when she buys veggies in mumbai always asks and gets free dhaniya and green chillies, i remember that since the last 50 years or so. But so many were new things that i learnt from yr post.

Yes nothing comes free, Jaya, all costs are attached, its just that we dont see it.

Superb, just loved it.Sorry i am late in coming to yr post.

Regards

kamal

1 person likes this.
  3. suryakala

suryakala IL Hall of Fame

Dear Smt @jayasala42,

In developed countries also the concept of 'Freebies' is used very effectively. But there, some of the 'freebies' are really genuine. Such as after achieving the expected profit level, is achieved, the balance items in a 'batch' is given 'free' for promotion of the sales of the next 'batch' , strategically timing to beat the competitor.

Every week on a particular day the mail box is full of what they call "Junk mail", each store chain issuing a flyer(a big booklet) containg all items they offer as 'freebies' or at discounted prices!

I was surprised at the concept of "Athithi Satkar" is Tamil sangam period! I vaguely remember something I read long back (which I am not able to recollect).. Could you please elaborate where this reference comes?

Of course all 'freebies' by Govt are part of welfare measures. Every society shares some of its resources to its 'non productive' section that may be in need. Clever politicians take advantage, and clever middle men corner a portion for themselves. The effectiveness of sharing depends on the level of enlightenment of the society.

True, nothing is free including the blessings of God! Except, probably the love of a mother for her child!- that too only up to a certain age!

A nice post, I enjoyed!

4. jayasala42

Dear Kamal,
    Thank you for the first Feed back.Even today bargaining for 'extra' is common with women when they buy things from street vendors. A cheap satisfaction.Yes,Yes, I know nothing comes free. But many don't realise.

Jayasala 42

5. jayasala42

Dear Suryakala,
    In Western countries'sales' seem to be scientifically done and as a business promotion strategy to improve the over all turn over ignoring some loss. But in Chennai, it is ridiculous.Prices are inflated and reduced and the turn over is large.Profit margin also is protected.

Even in Singapore I went to purchase a few things during sale.Certain articles were exhibited " three for the price of two'.
    I got the doubt.I found out from a regular shop that the discount was not real and it was a trick played on the customer.

Regarding asking one's own wife to keep company with the guests ,there are many stories in literature.Popular one is the story of'iyarpagai naayanaar' one of the 63 main devotees of Lord Siva.
    Daily he used to invite and feed Sivanadiyars in his house.It was customary to offer whatever Sivanadiyaar wanted.

One day a Sivanadiyaar expressed his wish to have company with iyarpagainayanar's wife.The Nayanar readily agreed.Though the wife was initially shocked she decided to obey her husband.The Nayanaar took The guest and his wife and walked through the streets.When the entire village abused him for his deed, he became angry and beheaded all those who rebuked him.
    Now the Sivanadiyaar asked the Nayanaar to leave them and go home.After a few mts he was called back by the Sivanadiyaar.When he turned back and saw ,his wife alone was standing and the sivanadiyaar disappeared.It is stated that Lord Shiva only had appeared as shivanadiyaar, may be to test the devotion of Iyarpagai Naayanar.

Again there is the story of Bhadrayu,king of magadha.When a tiger attacked a brahmin's wife, the king was standing there.However much the king tried he could not prevent the tiger from killing the brahmin's wife. The King felt very bad and apologised to the brahmin and said that he was prepared to give whatever the brahmin wanted.The brahmin sought the hand of the king's wife.The king readily agreed and handed over the queen to the brahmin. The king being sad decided to throw himself over the fire.Here again the story goes that Lord Shiva intervened and brought the brahmin's wife back to life and saved the king too.
    In old Sangam literature also we hear of such instances.
    Whether it was just to test devotion or not, it is evident that there was this custom in the society which was accepted by women of those days.
    I think that chastity had a different connotation and it meant just to obey whatever the husband said, though much to the damage of her dignity and it was believed by women that whatever the husband said was right and just.

I made only a passing reference and further elaborations may hurt the self respect and dignity of women, though the incidents relate to very early period.

jayasala 42

6. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Nice post Jayakka dear. True if we are getting anything free when you buy something we go for it. Earlier I could not use internet much because I could not use more than 3D in a month, now since it is unlimited I use according to my wish. Sometimes I am also attracted to buy such things when we are getting free gift

7. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Jayasala I belonged to a profession where freebees flow like rivers swollen duriong monsoon.-journalism. From Ketchup to Scotch to five star dinners people got freebees rained on them. I know a lot of small time journos who put in a couple of lines about someone for a freebee. Believe me lot of stuff you read in the papers is influenced by free gifts.People vied with each other for getting embassy invites, where they got the choicest of liquors ( I still have 3/4 bottle of Johnnie Walker Black Lable I got from an embassy). During Deepavali gifts land up at the houses of many journos from people who need publicity. A friend of mine who covered agriculture ministry used to get loads of jams and ketchups during Deepavali. I don't think he ever bought them in market.

1 person likes this.
  8. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Smt. Jayasala:

Seeking free things is not specific to India and it is common for all human beings. Here most newspapers carry ads that say, "Buy one get one free". Even ads that say, "Buy one and get the second for 50%" attracts a lot of attention. Understanding this human psychology, most retail outlets make the best use of it.

Here, New Year, Good Friday, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanks Giving Holidays, Christmas Holidays are the great time to announce big discounts. There are shops that have thousands of people waiting in line at 4 a.m. in the morning to get into the shop first when it opens.

The coupons that are published in the newspaper are extremely popular and many of them accumulate the coupons to get a big discount when they shop. Recently, I reviewed a You Tube video in which a man bought $2,000 worth of food for just $350 by using so many coupons and gave it for charity.

Your last sentence is very powerful. A thought free mind is really blissful and one has to experience it temporarily to seek for it.

Viswa

9. jayasala42

Dear Viji,
    Getting discount and free coupons is a contagious disorder. every one is after it or forced to accept the trend.
    Jayasala 42

1 person likes this.
  10. jayasala42

Dear balaji,
    During Deepavali here also many get sweet boxes, dry fruit sets etc. famous sweet stalls start preparing sweets a month earlier since they have to clear orders in lakhs. In many cases only the box is nice but the sweets, except a few, are damaged beyond repair whet get transferred from person to person.Especially during Deepavali it is better to make at least simple sweets at home fresh than to get the decayed ones from Grand Sweets.