Way too much idli batter... what to do?

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by Marisa, Mar 7, 2008.

1. Oviya

Oviya Silver IL'ite

Marisa, wanted to add one more thing...

A good info for you....If one can eat 3 idlis he/she has to use at least 5 idlis to make idli upma....The quantity becomes comparitively very less after it is sauteed.

As another ILite wrote, you can try different flavours of idli upma....Explore....

Love,
    Oviya.

2. meenakrishnan

meenakrishnan Bronze IL'ite

Dear Marisa,
    Don't forget to write to us how you managed.
    This reminds me of Rajinikanth struggling to spend crores of rupees within a given time in a film.
    Love
    Meena

3. Marisa

Marisa New IL'ite

Thanks so much for all the replies! I had saved all the recipes and my hubby was already dreaming of the usili and dosa he was going to enjoy all week... (I even started the potato curry for masala dosa tonight)

Unfortunately, the idlis are not coming out well. This is only the second time I make them, and last time I had used rice flour and they were OK. This time I used idli ravva, and the texture is just off. They're grainy. And they're yellowish. I can even feel the ravva in the batter with my fingers. So I'm really disappointed. I did two batches, I added more water to the second and made sure I wasn't overcooking them and they look pretty but again the texture is wrong. I can feel the rice ravva if I eat them.

I'm thinking of putting the batter back in the mixie to see if it gets better texture but I imagine that'll make it worse since they've already fermented?

I still have quite a bit of batter left, so I can try different things with different parts of it, but I just want to get done with it.

4. Marisa

Marisa New IL'ite

Well, I tried again and this time I put the rava along with the dal in the mixie, and that got rid of the grainy texture. But, the idlis tasted too tart, so I think I need to change the rice:dal ratio. Also, they took a very long time to cook, so I think the batter might have been too wet.

I'm trying again this morning (let's hope it fermented already!), with 3:1 rice to dal instead of 2:1. I'm hoping they'll keep improving so that eventually I can make good idlis every day! They still aren't edible. And I will try making dosa with yesterday's batter, I think the tartness will be fine in dosa.