Way too much idli batter... what to do?

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by Marisa, Mar 7, 2008.

1. Marisa

Marisa New IL'ite

So I got a bit too happy about finally getting a mixie and I just mixed the ground dal with the idli rava and I have a really big pot full. Really big. I can't imagine just how much it'll be once it ferments! We're just two so I can't imagine us eating hundreds of idlis this week (as much as I'm craving them). Plus we have only one little idli stand so it'd take me forever to cook them. Is there anything I can do with all this batter? I know I can make dosa, but that'll stretch it even further. I imagine I can't freeze it or anything, right?

2. vkrithika1

vkrithika1 Gold IL'ite

hi,

Put little rice flour in a portion of idli batter and make it little thicker.put chopped onions,chillies,red chilly powder,asafoetida and prepare crispy appams.it will be really tasty.You can also do it without onions.

3. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

hi marisa,

Freeze the idli batter in small rubbermaid boxes( freeze enough in each box that you make one batch of idlis with that batter) . So this way you can take just one box at a time and thaw it and use. i freeze idli/dosa batter for up to 2 months and it does not go bad. idlis come out soft and nice.

Vandhana

2 people like this.
  4. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Interesting dilemma to be in.
    You can make tasty dosas too. Plain dosa, masala dosa, etc. Oothapam. will be great with onion etc.
    You can make paniyaram of you have that utensil.
    You ca make idils and freeze them too. Also like the prev.post you can freeze batter in small qty's too.
    No problem,. Enjoy.

5. libran23

libran23 Senior IL'ite

Hi Marisa,

You can add semolina,chopped green chillies,ginger,chopped onion and make vadas with left over batter.
    Serve them with green chutney.

Cheers,

Anshita

6. Oviya

Oviya Silver IL'ite

Hi Marisa,

Make idlis. Better to refridgerate it for a short time, say for half-an-hour.

Take the idlis out and crumble. Season oil, mustard seeds, channa dhal, urid dhal, curry leaves, green chillies, onion and turmeric powder. Add the crumbled idlis and salt to taste. Saute it till the crumbled pieces gets seperate. This stage will occur within 10 minutes or so. Varies little bit according to the quantity you make. Add shredded coconut at the end and saute it for a minute. This dish is called 'idli upma'. And the most favourite one in our house. Try it. Would love....

This way, even the sourness if any, will be gone.

Love,
    Oviya.

7. krishnaamma

krishnaamma Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Marisa,

You can freez the batter. She is correct. I also use to do like that.
    You can go through this thread and you can see many varities to do.

new dishes using left overs.

And one more suggestion, Why dont you arrange for a party in the weekend?:idea

Last edited: Mar 7, 2008
  8. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

dear marisa,
    sometime after may a day or two u can make the idlis and store it in a plastic bag, now one day upma with it, then u can make stirfry idlis, just like chinese make the shredded cabbage, carrot, beansprout spring onions and add some oil in kadai, now once heated add some garlic tomato sauce and some soy sauce and a little white pepper powder and some salt once it sizzles add the cabbage and carrot and stir fry for a few seconds and now add the spring onion and iddlis cut into eatable chunks and mix it well all over and serve hot as it is..sunkan

9. aishu22

aishu22 Gold IL'ite

Dear Marisa,
    As all of them here have suggested, you could make idlis and freeze them.Chitvish has given a curry leaves powder sprinkled on idli and lot of jiffy recipes with idlis(though for mini idli's), you can try various combos.
    Check that out!

10. sreshta

sreshta New IL'ite

Hi Marisa,
    It IS a real problem for you.But the way you've written made me laugh and laugh and laugh.How many hours it took for you to grind SO much of batter?
    Some ideas:(Please take it in a lighter sense)
    You can celebrate "IDLI VAARAM"(Idli week).
    Breakfast-vegetable idli
    Lunch-lemon idli or puli idli
    In-between snack: mysore bajji with chillies and rice flour added to the batter.
    Evening tiffin:OOTHAPPAM
    dinner-idli upma
    You can make small packets of 1 kg each and distribute in your street.
    You can send some to nearby orphange(not a joke!)

Bang mebonk If I am wrong
    Sreshta

Last edited: Mar 7, 2008