Water for birds/Stray dogs

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by coolsandy, Apr 13, 2012.

1. coolsandy

coolsandy Gold IL'ite

Scorching heat... and thirsty summers...every being on earth feels this. As a human being we quench our thirst easily.We have pots filled @ houses, mineral water @ corporte offices, bottled water while shopping.

How about birds, stray dogs that roam in our streets? how do they quench their thirst for water?

Its a one storey building that we live in and the land lords stay in the first floor and we in the ground(obviously)... and the land lady usually comes downstairs to wash her dirty linen.. (We have a big wash area on the ground floor).

One day, while washing, she found out that a stray dog had come inside the house..(someone probably had not closed the gate properly) and it was drinking water from a small bucket that was lying there...aunty had poured in some more water and it drank again.. god knows how thirsty is was and that poor thing was not able to find a drop of water anywhere.

Since that day, we had decided to arrange water for these beings. We had a small earthern lid (used to cover an earthern pot)...since this is concave in shape.. it can hold some amount of water enough for a small bird... this we had put on our boundary wall...

And we had a earthern flower pot.. we had cleaned it, filled the same with water and put it outside the gate to feed the stray dogs.

And my mom ensures that those are filled all through the day. She feels so happy when a dog quenches its thrist from that pot. She tells us that incident when we return form office. She does not forget to tell about those birds too.

What is your approach for such water thirsty beings? Share and spread it.

6 people like this.

2. ssm014

ssm014 Platinum IL'ite

Thank you for this wonderful message..

I see my neighbour keeping out some mud utensil..maybe she keeps some rice or water for birds

this is a good thought. We will aslo try to implement the same

I live in storeyed apartment so will have to figure out a place to keep the utensil secure without worrying about it falling down on someone's head below...

and yes feeding, giving water to birds etc is also a form of punya and is encouraged to get rid of some doshas...

3. coolsandy

coolsandy Gold IL'ite

someitme back...my mom, in fact, had put some food too, in that earthern pot on the boundary wall..But our landlady suggested that it would be sort of "pinda pradaana"(not sure of the term).. so,it has to be avoided.
    My mom has different views about it but in order to escape the wrath of the landlords, she has stopped doing it. (Its difficult to find an independent house like this.. u know)
    Atleast she puts the food outside the gate, in small quantities though...

4. umaakumar

umaakumar Finest Post Winner

Dear Sandy,

It really is a good thought and initiative. I have a small vessel filled with water and kept at the top of my shed for the birds. We do not see any stray dogs in our locality.

I live in Coimbatore where we have a Humane animal society which distributed water bowls free of cost. I read about it in the papers and since I am a member saw it in FB.

But I heard later that there were few takers for this.

It would be really nice if more people came forward for doing this kind of service to the needy animals.

Regards
    Uma

5. coolsandy

coolsandy Gold IL'ite

What we found out is, since all the birds share the same vessel, crows generally tend to sort of clean their mouth in this vessel. lol. Not really sure but once a crow drinks that water , supposedly, after its meals, there are white traces of food in the water bowl. It probably ate rice ;)
    So, we constantly check the water level, purity of the water :D.

That is something very nice to hear of. But have you tried putting a water bowl outside the gate anytime? Try that for a week or so on a trial basis; and if you do not find water the next day, you can assume that there are some other thirsty beings. If the bowl is full of water, well that is good enough. Atleast, you'll be happy that you have attempted.

Quite appreciating.

6. ssm014

ssm014 Platinum IL'ite

Good thread. Have started keeping water out since past 2-3 days for birds

7. coolsandy

coolsandy Gold IL'ite

thatz one wonderful act. :thumbsup
    so, where did you manage to put that bowl?

8. shree

shree Silver IL'ite

hi all,

it still rains b'cos of these tree and animal lovers. may god bless everyone.

1 person likes this.
  9. knbg

knbg Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Coolsandy,
    That's so humane dear.....:thumbsup
    I used to give water to stray cattle and birds when I was in India- It gives a sense of satisfaction when we do this.....:)

10. coolsandy

coolsandy Gold IL'ite

:thankyou2: ... I feel this is just a percent of what we humans can do towards nature and its creations.

:iagree...nothing more than quenching one's thirst.

Do you all have any photographs of these? A Picture is worth a million words.

By the time I take a snap, the dogs or birds are done with their work. :oops:

May be I should be carrying the camera with me all the time :D Will soon post the pictures.