1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Want to do a baking business from home - need ideas/suggestions/tips

Discussion in 'H4 Indian Ladies' started by saraswathy9, Mar 22, 2015.

1. saraswathy9

saraswathy9 New IL'ite

Hi all ILs,
    A very good morning!
    I worked in India as a software Engineer and now on H4 here. I have a 17 month old daughter. Till now, all my time was engaged in taking care of her, but I see that as she grows, she needs to go out and learn new things from children of her age-group. So once that starts, I want to do something on my own and earn money.

I have always had a lot of interest in home-based business from home - something like 'Tupperware' business in India for women. After coming here, I really got some interest in baking and tried a few items at home which turned out very well. and I was fascinated with the idea of making some money out of something I love doing..
    And I am very positive of doing it well.. :)

Now I need your inputs and suggestions to start a small-scale home-based baking business -
    - Shall I take some online courses available on youtube for learning more about basics of baking?
    - Shall I order some books related to that?
    - Shall I enroll myself in some baking classes nearby?

If anyone of you is already into something like this, please do let me know. You would help me rebuild my confidence, keep myself motivated and make some money too... which helps me a lot in my current situation!!

2. annapoorni

annapoorni New IL'ite

En roll your self near baking classes. That is the best way to learn properly and you can get contact and idea from there..all the best

3. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Not all H4 will be eligible for a work permit. Make sure you check the USCIS bulletin to get the latest information.

4. butterflyice

butterflyice Local Champion Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Welcome to IL!

Stores like Michaels offer cake decorating classes. One of my friends did the course as a hobby. She really liked it.

If you want to pursue this idea of baking business in US, I find that there is a huge market for gluten free products and eggless products. Usually you can charge a premium for such products.

You can advertise in Indian stores, temples, community centers intiiall and take it from there.

I am not sure if H4 visa holders can start a business legally. Do check on that.

YOur idea is very good, with a small child at home this is one of the best things to do.Good luck with your venture.

5. saraswathy9

saraswathy9 New IL'ite

Hi all,
    Thank you very much for your inputs and encouraging words!