Walkthrough - moving back to India from US

Discussion in 'Return to India' started by drb, Aug 14, 2011.

1. juliak88

juliak88 New IL'ite

I'm just starting to look for movers to help us get from Philadelphia to India and am very curious: which are the 2-3 movers that you shortlisted? Did you end up using one, and how was the experience?

Thanks,
    Julia

2. neha1

neha1 Silver IL'ite

I'm so happy to read positive things here about our country. For better or worse -that's our country :)
    My Husband has been thinking for a few months about moving; i'm little paranoid though. Happy to read the replies here, it kind of gets the ball rolling for me :)

3. Rads101

Rads101 New IL'ite

Thanks So much ladies for all the information you have provided.
    We are planning to R2I June 2013 while my husband stays back here for few months to find job in india and sell/Rent our house here .Do you think the time would be enough?

4. satmini

satmini New IL'ite

Hi,

We are also in the same dilemma. I was working in India and here with this H4 issues couldnt go to work. SO we were thinking of going back. But I am not sure if I can land in a job after a break (2 years) and not sure in worst case if we can manage with one person salary there. ALso let me know if there is a age factor to get a job back in india...I mean for my husband. Since he is 41 now, I am not sure if we postpone decision it might get difficult getting a job for him. IS there any age factor there??

5. NJ2013

NJ2013 New IL'ite

Hello Ladies,

This thread is really useful and this is the kind of info we were looking for. We are also planning to move back to India as soon as possible. We have been living in US for past 5 years. I see that many of you have/are planning to move back the stuff from here. I have few questions in my mind. Hoping to get clarification on these.

1. Is the furniture you brought to India from US was new or already used. If new, does the shipping company pick the stuff from your home in US? Do they provide home delivery in India or just at the dock ?
    2. Has anyone tried LTL (less than truck load shipments) via air cargo ? Any experiences and information will be highly helpful. We have been living in an apartment so didn't collect much stuff since India was already in our mind from day 1 :)
    3. Someone said the customs officer asked fees around 70k and agreed on half without receipt, was that for whole container ?
    4. If I buy furniture from say costco which comes in a box, will the customs officer charge more on new furniture vs used?
    5. How many days it takes it takes to arrive the cotainer via sea ?
    6. What all things you must consider before leaving US ( for example, close internet/phone/cable/bank ac/credit card/change postal address etc...)
    7. What else...

I will post some more questions tomorrow ....

thank again for wonderful thread...

NJ

6. mshr

mshr New IL'ite

HI ALL,
    My family (we two and two kids aged 5.5 and 1) are planning to move back to India bang lore. We have few questions regarding that and would be grateful if you can answer them. We plan to move May 2015 and intend to enroll my son in 1 st grade starting June 2015.My son did Transitional KG and will be doing KG this fall of 2014 here in bay area,ca.
    SOme one told me to get to India and have my son enrolled in U-KG asap as its difficult to get admission in India in Ist grade,has anyone experienced a situation like this. I also heard that my son will be going through assessment if he has to enter into first grade.Any idea about the assessment so that I can focus on getting him prepared.

2. We are planning on moving to electronic city Banglore and decide on DPS electronic city ,any recommendation on residential communities which is close to DPS electronic city , we are looking for community with play areas and swimming pool.

3.I heard that admission process happens in october so going in may will be very late (is it true). I have few immigration issues which wil be sorted by march of 2015 so going before that is difficult.

4.How is the custom duty there what items are worth taking from USA.

Any idea/suggestion about how I go about start preparing for move,I am in use for 10 years. Any other inut is greatly appreciated

7. Lavanya30

Lavanya30 Silver IL'ite

Very informative and useful tips