Waiting to hear from dog lovers!

Discussion in 'Pets and Animal Lovers' started by outofthebox, May 5, 2012.

1. outofthebox

outofthebox Platinum IL'ite

Hi Vaidehi....Nice to hear from you again in another forum...hope you remember me ;-)

ok so you also have a pet !! :) Nice...:)
    Read your earlier post as well.....and looks like even Paulina had offered her ideas there....!
    And also, I could sense a common urge from all those who posted that one needs to weigh the pros & cons thoroughly before committing to adopting one....! And, its really heartwarming to note that pets are treated equally like anyone would treat their kid........and I can really understand that to abandon one after deciding to adopt a pet is the most cruel thing one can do.....

one thing I think I have made up my mind now after seeing several of these posts..I am going to adopt one from a center, as suggested....and of course not immediately, maybe in a year or so, given that my household circumstances also need to be made ready for the newcomer...!

& maybe its a coincidence that I read your signature only this time : - "If you need anything as badly as air for life, you get it! " ----> liked this one!!!...somehow matches to few of the thoughts that are running around in my mind these days..:)

And oh by the way, this is a general question to all those who have posted here....who takes care of your pet you go on a vacation for quite sometime ? Is there anyone from your family to take care in your absence...or how has it been working for you all , all these years ?

1 person likes this.
  2. deepslikes

deepslikes Platinum IL'ite

You are welcome! Since I have no one to take care of my pet when I am on vacations (to India), frequent work trips, etc and also my constant shifting between cities, I had to make the painful decision of not having my own dog in the near future. So instead, I foster dogs for a rescue center.
    If you can adopt from a rescue center as Custard has suggested, it will be so great!

1 person likes this.
  3. Custard

Custard Gold IL'ite

Hello outofbox,

Feels very good to know that you are planning to adopt one when you are ready. At Bangalore, there is an NGO named "Lets Live Togather" by Achala. They run adoption drives every month. We get only vaccinated healthy pups through them. Here : http://letslivetogether.org/ and join them : Lets Live Together | Facebook

For those who can offer help in fostering pups but cant adopt right now, can help these people. That is to keep the puppy for few days till they get a loving permanent home. Foster parents get the joy of petting and taking care of the puppy. One can also find out if its possible to make a life long commitment for the pup/dog.

1 person likes this.
  4. kelly1966

kelly1966 Platinum IL'ite

hi out of box...
    you've got fantastic suggestions..
    well let me also emphasis that adopting an indian stray pup is definitely the best.. unfortunately when we were looking for a pet.. my hubby and son wanted a lab and wouldn't settle for anything else..
    well coming to your questions.
    yes I live in an apt.. Harley is a labrador.. labradors are by far the easiest dogs to train .. I think.. we got him home when he was 32 days old.. and if you search my threads you will find the various anxiety levels I went through whilst he was a baby... but believe me.. he was house trained within 4 months.. he is 2.5yrs old now. for the first year we had a live in help so there was no problem but since last year we have only part time maids.. we all leave home by 9:00a.m and my son and maid comes at 4:00p.m. Harley stays alone all that while..he has never ever destroyed or behaved badly when he is alone.. only sometimes he takes away the bathroom mat as a comfort toy or if our clothes are out he will take that and sleep.. never tears them...we only lock our bedrooms and he has complete access to rest of the house..
    we have a walker who comes at 6:30a.m and evening 5:00p.m to take him for 30mins walk each time and we do the night walk which is around 8:00p.m...
    Harley has 2 meals.. morning and evening..but when he was a pup till he was a year old it was 3 meals..
    Bangalore has many kennels and pet services.. we are a member at ANVIS pet management services.. and for a short period we did get a trainer from there... they also take care of the boarding facilities... we have been for a short trip for 2 days and left him as a trail round with a kennel where if your dog is a friendly sort is left out in the yard and not in a cage.. he was perfectly ok infact very happy playing with other dogs.. we have also taken him for an over night stay in a dog - friendly resort.. I know many people who travel with their dogs .. it all depends on how comfortable you are..
    what I've seen from Harley is that 2yrs + he has changed alot.. somehow become more responsible and sensible.. his puppy ways have changed to be matured..
    when we got Harley we knew our movement will be restricted.. we go for weddings/ dinners only after 8p.m. once his walk is over.. we avoid going for evening shows.. but none of us grudge this because HArley is THE KING he gives us so much of love and comfort.. this is no sacrifice..
    BUT let me tell you.. I'm a crazy dog lover.. so is my son.. I never could have a pet in my childhood as my parents were not keen.. I used to go to peoples houses and play with their pets.. Harley is my childhood wish fulfilled.. my Hubby and MIL who were never great animal lovers now just adore him...
    if you get a pet home.. be sure you will be able to give it 100% of your love... as they love you nnnnnnnnnth times more..
    K

3 people like this.
  5. Custard

Custard Gold IL'ite

Hello Kelly, always good to read about dear Harley! Very happy that you take him out often! I always feel that dogs love outings and socializing with people and other other dogs. His stay in a dog - friendly resort is very exciting!

1 person likes this.
  6. outofthebox

Hi Custard !

Thanks for this link...I have bookmarked it, and have sent it right away to my DH as well ! Once I move there, and get a bit settled, I will try to go and visit this place.....I think that's a good start for sure....! Thanks a ton!

1 person likes this.
  7. outofthebox

hi kelly,

oh yes thats for sure ! the suggestions/ideas/advices are pouring in...im getting more than what I expected..and am really glad !

and it was a treat to read about your pet.....! and finally its heartening to hear that B'lore has lots of such services.....not sure how things will turn out, but I feel "prevention is better than cure" !!! so if I can ensure all possible things for the newcomer, atleast that which I can anticipate, I think that will enable me to give the right care....and as I can understand from your post, once we have a pet, we may have to adjust our timelines/routines according to our pet as well.......so I have to make sure that all of us at home are in consensus....and just yesterday I told my DH about my wish to have a puppy sometime in the future....atleast he now knows that I am making efforts to learn before I jump into anything!!!

& frankly I didn't expect to get so much response, but I am now really glad that I posted here!!! :) will try to regularly read the other columns in the Pets section ...! & you can be all sure to hear from me once in a while...:)

1 person likes this.
  8. outofthebox

hi deeps...

awww...thats really sad that you have to take such a decision, on the other hand, its good that you have chances to visit rescue centers...even if you can't have one, i guess people like you who have experience only can give those in need a better world ! thanks for sharing your ideas....and yes, I have already made up my mind to adopt one from a center, but there's a long way to go & lots more to know.....before I implement it....

9. kelly1966

kelly1966 Platinum IL'ite

Hi Custard.. you know what we have discovered is that Harley is most comfortable at home.. when we went to the resort.. he had a good time running about in the open fields and we even had a bullock cart ride and saw some deers etc.. but came morning and he was barking away near the car and wanted to get home!!!... and once we reached home he ran to his corner and fell asleep for the rest of the day!!...
    funny chap... tooo cute..
    about his walks.. well we are very strict on ourselves for them as labs tend to put on weight and have health issues.. so we make sure that he doesn't miss them.. incase its raining and we can't do the complete 30-40 mins walk then we run up the staircase.. 5 floors..
    K

1 person likes this.
  10. easy

easy Gold IL'ite

HI out of the box,
    nice to know yo want to own a pet. There are lot of kennel facilities in bangalore you donot hv to wory abt it. I leave my dog in the kennel when we plan our holidays.infact some of them provide pickup and drop also.
    reg. breeds i own a Pom..they are low maintenance dogs.. but be aware they are noisy creatures..and sometimes snappy ;-) you cannot train them much like labs/or bigger dogs.I sometimes feel my dog thinks he is more intelligent than all of us in the house .Having said that they are real cute creatures..and they need little space and exercise..so if you are in a small house /flat they can easily adapt.
    so choose a dog based on your lifestyle..as some other member has suggested Labs are also very good...but they will need lot of exercise.else they will put on weight and my vet said most the labs in blore are obese ..becos of the owners lifestyles and they end up hvg joint prob/arthritis in the legs ..poor thing.
    so if you are going to be in a flat.. you can go for Cocker Spaniels,bassset hounds,beagles..also pugs and Poms.one of my friend owned a chihuahua puppy..the issue with imported breeds..it is very diff. for them to adopt to indian condition..and he died of a stomach infection.
    if you are not particlar abt Breed ..Indian native breeds are much better..as they require very less maintenance and much adapted to the indian conditions.

1 person likes this.