1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Waiting For His Godot

Discussion in 'Stories (Fiction)' started by twinsmom, Sep 13, 2007.

1. twinsmom

twinsmom Silver IL'ite

The old man shut the gate with a bang and hurried back into the house. ‘What time is it?’ he asked his wife who was shelling green peas. His wife did not look up from her task, as though she feared that if she did, she’d miss out on a truant worm which would jump into the bowl and hide among the already shelled peas. Besides, it was an annoying habit of her husband’s- instead of raising his head and looking at the wall clock, he wanted her to give him the time. And recently she had developed her own annoying habit of acting deaf. High time he learnt to do the little things in life.
    The old man repeated the question, a little loudly, the decibel level of which may be categorized as yelling.
    ‘It is not yet time for him to arrive,’ she said calmly annoying him further with the wrong answer for his question. ‘Why don’t you ring him up once more?’ he demanded like a spoilt child.
    ‘He said he’ll be here in half an hour. Maybe he is caught up in the traffic,’ she consoled him. ‘Why don’t you sit down for a while?’
    The old man grunted. She smiled at his impatience. He sat down for exactly 2 minutes and 17 seconds. ‘I’ll go to the junction and see if he is coming,’ he announced and hurried out as though fearing some objection from her. She shook her head in resignation and continued with her shelling.
    He came back in 10 minutes, fuming and almost frothing at the mouth. She couldn’t resist taunting at him. ‘Naay chandakku ponaa maadiri,*’ she muttered. He heard her. In a rage he came bounding up to her, grabbed the container from her lap and hurled the whole thing out of the open door. And as she stood up stunned by such a display of temper, he thundered, “If it had been your Sun TV, you would have been calling him a dozen times. It is because it is my cricket channel that you are so condescending! The blasted Cable TV,” he ranted on, “fails each time India plays a match….!” Then he looked at the gate and mumbled pathetically again, “Where is the guy?” And to her, “Please call him on his mobile once more…” She was sweeping up the scattered peas and pretending not to have heard the desperation in his voice.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2007
    sindmani likes this.

2. Jananikrithsan

Jananikrithsan Gold IL'ite

Hi twinsmom,
    Such a true to life happening in all homes around the world. What a way to react. My!!!!! what will happen if men miss to watch a live telecast of the match. Why do all of them bring the roof down? Baffles Me.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2007
  3. chitrajan

chitrajan Bronze IL'ite

Hi,

What a wonderful write up.

You have brought up the feelings so very well. Actually I think, most men go through this phase during the following times.

1. Shifting of house
    2. Shifting of cable network provider
    3. After a strong wind which changes the direction of the dish

Seems more stronger than the prasava vedanai:idontgetit:

Excellent write up again!!!

4. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

hi twinsmom,

What a way to go...It looked like visualising the same...It happens in lot of households...

5. twinsmom

twinsmom Silver IL'ite

Hi friends,
    Since last two to three years I have been observing that the senior citizens are addicted to their respective, SUN TV, ASIANET, SURYA, JAYA, ETV AND UDAYA TV... Come evening, earlier we used to pray in front of the VeLakku...now... serials are switched on...
    Not that I sit and pray for an hour or two like I used to in my childhood... but, I am not hooked to serials... The emotional dependence by an older generation to Tv is scary... will I end up like that?:cry:

sindmani likes this.
  6. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

hey viju,
    even i had this problem during world cup, i used to fume and fetter desperately call up, i am a great fan of cricket..now have got tata sky and i dont face any problem in fact it has come up with 10 channels for all regional, so malayalam and tamil all have been spruced up no raj yet, dekhen it will also follow, very true the nature u have described even i went through..lovely write up.. sunkan

7. Vysan

Vysan Gold IL'ite

Hi TM,

That was a great write up....

I can give you a twist in the story also.... Even if the cable TV is on, we can have somebody playing with the remote or correcting the connection flaws or re-setting the connectivity.....

So.... Great..

Veda

8. malspie

malspie Platinum IL'ite

I love sports and follow cricket very well, all my friends call me up and discuss the match, send sms to me even at around 2 in the morning. We team up the next day and have a blast when our favourite team wins. Its fun. I never watch any serials or movies. Its sports, discovery, animal planet or News. I love music and dance that makes me hooked to reality shows of music and dance only. Very rarely I watch movies.

9. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

A life like portrayal Twinsmom ! True, many elders are addicted to TV. Better that than moping around without much to do.
    In my house, I can see myself becoming agitated and irritated if the computer modem gives up on me!:bangcomp: My desperation to log on and read your articles along with others and much much more....I cannot help thinking that my husband is pleasantly amused when the modem dies ! It is also my suspicion that he may not hurry to fix it if he himself was not in the centre of some web search for one or the other latest technical contraption on the market..:mad:

L, Kamla

10. twinsmom

twinsmom Silver IL'ite

Hi Kamla,
    i know the feeling.... A glitch in the network leaves me paralysed... Each to his own, I suppose... All of us are enslaved in our own fashion...

Hi malspie,

I used to be addicted to TV... It did not matter what I watched, so long as I was sitting there and watching it... Then suddenly, life changed... I got deaddicted to the TV....only, I got hooked to BLOGGING! Now I feel I am in my element when I am writing and posting....posting and writing! All of us wait for our own Godots....eh?

Hi Vysan,
    I know...I know....the trappings of the times we are living in....

Hi sunkan,

Thank God, I got out of my addiction for cricket... Otherwise I would work myself into afrenzy at the pathetic performance of Team India...