1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Volunteering for Teens

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by Lotus98, Sep 21, 2015.

1. Lotus98

Lotus98 Junior IL'ite

Hi

I am not sure if this needs to go in General Discussions USA/Canada or to leave it here.

Where to start looking for Volunteering opportunities for high schoolers? School has minimum hours required while I hear my friends kids submitting 150-200 hours of volunteering when applying for colleges. Though many of my friends kids volunteer at local non-profit cultural/science centers, when I spoke to someone at work they said schools might not approve this. Not sure where to look for opportunities.

Any insight/experience in this will be appreciated and very helpful.

Thank you

2. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I'm having a teen in NHS volunteering locally. Here, kids do get points from community centers for various events - diwali stall volunteering etc. Mine is trying to volunteer at a local non profit, a sports league for special needs teens. I found a lot of volunteering opportunities online, you can register with your city for the same. I didn't know about it and by the time I figured it out, they were closed due to a lot of volunteers registering.
    Try local non profits, libraries, temples(ours has free health fairs where kids can volunteer) etc. Good luck!

1 person likes this.
  3. Lotus98

Lotus98 Junior IL'ite

Thank you Laks09. I will look into it. School has some sign-up sheets but need to get approval on those non-profits that are not in the school's approved list. I think I am late in the game too!

4. Laks09

Her school counsellor was really helpful in getting the required permission for my dd. Have your child talk to her counsellor, the counsellor may also help finding positions.

1 person likes this.
  5. JustAnotherMom

JustAnotherMom Platinum IL'ite

There are places which are approved by the school, you can check with school counselor.

My daughter volunteer's in a hospital every sunday for 4 hours. Along with this when ever the middle school or elementary school need help she sign up there too. She is in junior year and already have more than 100 hours.

She used to do voluntary work in middle school also, but I don't think those hours are counted.

I'm not sure how much these hours are going to help her from the hospital. When i went to elite orientation they were saying " volunteering in hospital is very common for college admissions. Since she likes to do this, she is doing it.

1 person likes this.
  6. brahan

brahan Platinum IL'ite

Wow..Dint know volunteering hours are required for college admission in US

7. JustAnotherMom

JustAnotherMom Platinum IL'ite

In California only 40 hours are mandatory to graduate the high school.

8. Laks09

@justanothermom - There are kids like moi DD who forget about volunteering and by the time they check with the school and go to the approved orgs, everything is full. Plus she has to deal with me, I don't let her volunteer in any place that isn't meaningful. So then, we go position hunting ;)

1 person likes this.
  9. Lotus98

Lotus98 Junior IL'ite

@laks09, @justanothermom thanks for the information. my daughter is having trouble even trying to go and meet the school counselor as they are hardly available. School requirement of volunteering hours for graduation is very less but that will not help with college admission form. From what I enquired and came to know that we need to get approval before she starts volunteering. She has already started volunteering at two non-profit org's run by indians though for which she has to get approval. Looks like if the kid is applying for any biology/pre-med courses, colleges are particular in looking at their hospital volunteering experience. We have to register with the hospital/blood banks (nearby)and there is a long waiting list that will take upto an year to get volunteering opportunity. Next step is to somehow get in touch with the school counselor. Will update this thread if I get any useful information. Thanks again both of you!

1 person likes this.
  10. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

There might be 3-5 counselors serving a school with 2000 students. More attention is given to students in dire need, and to seniors.. this is also college application season, so counselors are busy with that too.

Meeting a counselor can be a luxury in some schools. Try email, if not already tried that. Child herself should send the email. Question(s) should be clearly stated, not be very open-ended. Add in that a line about attempts child has made to go meet counselor in person. Keep it short, and don't mention college admissions etc.

Volunteering at well-known hospitals or medical places will always have a long wait-list, and requirements such as minimum so many hours. Plus, it might end up being just moving papers around or minimal medical work. It is not just the place where she volunteers, what she does and what she learnt, and how it helped her grow will be what college will look for. 400-500 hours but nothing significant to write about them will not mean much. Try to find contacts in local doctors or other medical professionals who are willing to let her shadow them. Maybe an unpaid internship at small start-up tech company that is somewhat related to bio-tech.

All these are nice to have. Finally, it may or may not have much impact in the college admissions. So, the oft-repeated advice of volunteer if you like it, if you are passionate about it, not just for the hours.. is actually true. Time in high school is so precious... cannot be spent volunteering if end result is mainly the number of hours.

My suggestion would be to get the minimum hours needed by school. Beyond that keep it simple.. find some opportunity in the summer, do something there that can stand out, and that means something personal to the child.

You and your child may want to check out collegeconfidential dot com for volunteer opportunities in your city, that are not so well-known. Just remember not to get overly worried by the kids who post there. Those are the top 2-5 % who excel in almost everything effortlessly.

Whenever contacting anybody for opportunity to volunteer in their organization or institute, let child do all the communicating. The person sitting there is most likely a parent, grandparent or aunt/uncle.. and if a sincere request comes from a child, they will try to help in some way.

As part of my work, I receive many requests from parents whose children want to volunteer. I gently ask them to have child contact me. Still parents persist. I reluctantly say no... and prefer teens who reach out independently as much as possible.

3 people like this.