1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Vitamin D Deficiency - Any Support Group?

Discussion in 'Health Issues' started by SGBV, Mar 7, 2023.

1. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

More than 2 years. I am now taking the daily vitamin D for almost 4 years.

SGBV likes this.
  2. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Not that I know of, but insulin resistance can make weight loss very difficult even with strict diet.

SGBV likes this.
  3. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Yes, I have lost a lot of hair compared to my younger days. It’s partly due to thyroid and partly genetics, since all my aunts and grandmother who I take after also have had the same pattern of hair loss. I just have to find a doctor who will prescribe it.

SGBV likes this.
  4. gknew

gknew Gold IL'ite

How much is your hba1c?
    I take metformin twice a day. 2pills in the morning and night. I recently got high hba1c because of my weight gain and diagnosed diabetes. Yet to check back again. Been taking it twice a day 1000mg.

What is heme iron supplement? Never heard of these too. quercetin and myo-inositol.

Looks like you have a great doctor who gives importance to the patients. I need to find one like this. Been struggling with health issues one after another. I think I told you long back about my chronic pain and I am still dealing with it and running around for appointments.

SGBV likes this.
  5. gknew

gknew Gold IL'ite

Oh this makes total sense. I used to be in over weight category and around 174lbs. I am 5'8".
    Since my pain started in 2020, which is still constant and dealing with it , I had to take care medicines for this as a trial to see if it helps. So that made me gain so much weight and I am 230lbs now. Only in the span of one year with those medicines.

I started it last year and weight changed drastically.. I got high hba1c in October last year. Never had high hba1c before. I never take sugar or sweets.

I am trying so hard to reduce my weight and strict diet with exercise. But it's not happening which is very discouraging. My rheumatologist even prescribed me an appetite suppressers to reduce weight. I am yet to fill those up. But l wanted to try the natural way first before taking pills for weight loss.

SGBV likes this.
  6. gknew

gknew Gold IL'ite

Oh ok. Is your daily vitamin D is the OTC dosage of 2000ius?

SGBV likes this.
  7. Induslady

Induslady Administrator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Vit D deficiency has become very common in the last few years especially in women 40+ is what I hear from my Gyn/OB. Vit D sufficiency levels range 31-100, insufficiency ranges 21-30 and anything below 20 is deficiency.

Though they ask to supplement different levels of Vit D based on the deficiency levels, I've heard and read from many sources that Vit D3 is formed in the skin in response to exposure to UVB from natural sunlight. So sunlight exposure is must. These days we are all bound to spend most of our time within 4 walls air-conditioned and that has increased the deficiency in many may be.

Symptoms I have noticed are - hair loss like crazy, sweating, fatigue, bones hurting when exhausted and mood swings.

Vit D is a fat-soluble vitamin also essential for enhancing intestinal absorption of calcium, iron, magnesium, zinc and phosphate. Lack of Vit D if not addressed eventually leads to the deficiency of the above.

When you are taking supplements for Vit D make sure it is Vit D3 (Cholecalciferol) along with Calcium.
    Biotin has helped with controlling hair loss a little bit.

Thyagarajan, joylokhi and SGBV like this.
  8. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

HbA1c was 9.1 back in December and it scared the daylights out of me. I have been taking metformin 500mg x2 daily and have to test again this month.
    I was taking Vitron-C for anemia but it gave me bad stomach upsets so I have switched to Proferrin S. I am able to tolerate that better.

SGBV likes this.
  9. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

The new diabetes medicines like Ozempic and Wegovy can cause weight loss when prescribed at the appropriate doses. But once you stop taking them the weight comes roaring back so I have been reluctant to ask for them.

Thyagarajan and gknew like this.
  10. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Thank you @gknew @MalStrom @DDream and @Induslady for sharing your experience and thoughts about this problem. Though unfortunate, I feel comfortable to take this journey with you ladies, who are somewhat familiar to me. I am hopeful we all will be able to manage the symptoms and find a cure, if not soon but one day.

Hba1C was one of the tests my DR has asked me to take, in addition to thyroid and several other examinations.

Apart from hair loss, the rapid weight gain - that too, despite of exercising, fasting and dieting made me worry about my health.
    I have been suffering with IBS for a long time without knowing it is IBS. I blamed gastritis, food allergy, stress and what not. The issue became a frequent problem these days.
    My body pain is another issue. I blamed poor posture, exercise, weak (due to surgery) and weight gain. Since my mom has arthritis, I thought I too had it.
    Fatigue, tiredness, poor concentration, mood swings, anxiety etc..etc.... were associated with age, though I am just 41.
    But, I never thought all these symptoms are interrelated and vitamin D deficiency is behind all these.

Now a days I feel discomfort in my armpit, no pain, no lump or swelling, but feeling like there is a bulge in both sides. Perhaps it is related to weight gain or poor workout with machines (as I am just starting) or may be connected to vit D deficiency related hormones. I don't know.

Thyagarajan likes this.